My experience with cast in the 6,5x55

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 14 May 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
Spindrift posted this 30 April 2020

I thought I could start a thread, where I share my experience with cast bullets in the 6,5x55. Living in Norway, this cartridge is immensly popular. It seems the US is also experiencing a «6,5 craze» theese days. But among bullet casters, the 6,5 seems to suffer from a reputation for being a particularily difficult caliber. Is it really so? Or is this opinion based upon the peculiarities of the swedish mauser rifle?

I have three rifles with 6,5x55 barrels. All of them are switch-barrel bolt guns

- Rössler Titan alpha

- Schultz & Larsen M97DL

- Rem 700, customized with a threaded sleeve in the front reciever ring, allowing barrel switch with my hands. This rifle has a few other tweaks as well (photo)

I have a few bullets to play with, they are in the photo. From the left

- Arsenal molds 266-92 «spitzer»

- NOE 266-126- PB

- NOE 266-126- GC

- NOE 268-134 «Kurz»

- NOE 266-140

- NOE 268-140

I have the Pat Marlin checkmaker for the 6,5, and have experimented a bit with different materials. So far, I have mostly shot conventionally lubed bullets. PC coming up!

I`ll post some results and experiences in this thread when I can find the time. But now I´ve got to go

See Ya!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 30 April 2020

. But among bullet casters, the 6,5 seems to suffer from a reputation for being a particularily difficult caliber. Is it really so? Or is this opinion based upon the peculiarities of the swedish mauser rifle?

It all depends on several things. Really what is most important is does your bullet fit the particular rifle you're using. Fit is a relative term to most people and doesn't mean what they assume it to mean when picking a bullet for their rifle. No one bullet will fit all the different conditions that prevail among 6.5 rifles. My pick and specialty is the Swedish M96. All of them, whichever you pick, can shoot very well if the throat and leade conditions match well.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Spindrift
mashburn posted this 01 May 2020

Hello Spindrift,

If you get tired of shooting that machine I would like to see it in my gun safe .Quite a rifle.

Mashburn 

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Spindrift posted this 01 May 2020

45 2.1; Yes, fit is indeed king. But some bullet designs seem more.... adaptive than others. LIke the wonderful MP312-159, or MP 311-180 SIL- which you designed, I think? I hope we´ll see some 6,5 MP moulds in the future, sharing the self-aligning, complex-taper nose of the mentioned bullets

Mashburn; Thank you! But I don`t think I`ll tire of it, sorry The rem 700 is my first and only custom build, made to my preferences. It is bedded into a GRS Berserk stock, which is absolutely wonderful. Original trigger, tuned to perfection. Squared bolt face, lapped lugs. Threaded sleeve in the front reciever ring, so I can switch barrels without tools, and even without lifting the reciever from the stock. Barrels in 6,5x55, .30-06, .35 Whelen and .44 auto mag. Most barrels threaded for suppressor. Contessa 10 MOA tilt rail. It is a pleasure to shoot! I`ve had the rifle for a year, maybe. So lots of stuff to try, still.

The Arsenal 266-92 is very short, and light for a 6,5 bullet. My expectations were moderate. But I wanted to try this «alloy saver», and got a 5- cav, where I specified I wanted an untapered GC- shank. The mould is very nicely made.

I size my conventionally lubed bullets .266, this works in all my rifles. I pan lube, with a homemade brew. Tumble lube overcoat (x-lox + boat wax). Brass is collet neck sized, expanded/flared with the NOE .268x.264 plug. I usually leave the flare. Bullets are visually inspected, only. 

The 266-92 has worked quite well in all my rifles, particularily well in the Rem700. The groups below were shot at 100m, lying on my belly with support on a bag. Electronic target, the last shot is the red icon. Target increments are 30mm, which is very close to 1 MOA at 100m. The vihta N110/17grs is 1975fps, and the Vihta N120/19grs is 1860fps. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bret888
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 May 2020

Spindrift ...

could you tell us about the chamber and throat in your rem. custom 6.5 ? ... nice looking rig !

thanks, ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander

I can’t tell you much I’m afraid, as I have never done a chamber cast. I’m pretty much a load-and-shoot kind of guy. But the reamer used, is of the 6,5x55 Scan chamber standard. This is a chamber allowing slightly longer case necks, the idea is you can reload your cases 20 times without ever having to trim them. The pressure standard for the «Scan»- variety is also higher, sort of a +P. Vihtavuori presents separate data for the 6,5x55 scan.

My local gunsmith is a former international level BR shooter, and has been on the Norwegian national team. He builds a lot of BR rifles (and is also, in fact, a commercial bullet caster). Everything is reamed, squared and lapped to minimal tolerances, he said. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Shopdog
  • RicinYakima
Gunslinger posted this 01 May 2020

I'll be interseted in your results.I have a swed mauser that shoots great with jacketed bullets,but one attempt with cast bullets and bullet hit 50 yd target sideways.I like the cartridge so much I bought an accuracy barrel for T/C encore from EA Brown.A couple of cast attempts with this barrel and 2400 produced an 2 in group @ 100yds.The mould is a lyman that cast 160s from my ww metal.Have,nt done any futher expermenting.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 01 May 2020

45 2.1; Yes, fit is indeed king. But some bullet designs seem more.... adaptive than others. LIke the wonderful MP312-159, or MP 311-180 SIL- which you designed, I think? Yes, I did. Thanks for the kind words. I hope we´ll see some 6,5 MP moulds in the future, sharing the self-aligning, complex-taper nose of the mentioned bullets   All I did were for the long huge throat M96 Swede's when CB was doing the Lee GB's. The 6.5 Kurtz shot quite well in them. They aren't to useful for commercial rifles though. Maybe for 6.5 commercial stuff if enough interest generates itself.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 May 2020

What are the twists in your 6.5x55 rifles?  I assume it is pretty fast in order to stabilize the 140 grain bullets.

John

Attached Files

The Schultz & Larsen has 1:210mm (8 1/4in)

The Rössler has 1:220mm (8 2/3in)

The Rem700 has a semi- sporter barrel from the Varberger factory, to be honest I don’t remember the twist rate; I measured with my cleaning rod, it was 8-something inches, but I didn’t write it down.....

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
  • Bud Hyett
mashburn posted this 01 May 2020

Hello Spindrift,

This is very impressive stuff. You people must have a Norway University of Firearms and Shooting or something. Those are some very interesting looking bullets you have pictured, Are some of these of your design, I'm very interested to see and hear your results when you start experimenting with powder coated bullets. The bullet on the right side of the picture is very interesting to me. Please keep us posted,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Mashburn; thank you for your kind words!

None of the bullets are my design, they are «of the shelf» moulds from NOE, except the Arsenal mould. The bullet on the left, NOE 268-140, is a very promising bullet that I have limited experience with so far. I have shot it a bit in the Schultz & Larsen, a lightweight hunting boltgun. 22grs (approx. 1950 fps) looks like a sweet spot, approximately 1 MOA 5 shot group, from prone with support on a bag. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 02 May 2020

Hello Spindrift,

A prairie dog shooting buddy of mine (deceased now) had a sleeved action Schulz & Larsen  in 6X47 MM that was a very fine & accurate rifle. I had forgotten about that rifle until I saw yours. I started to approach his wife about buying his firearms but I didn't want to act like a vulture shortly after he passed away. I may check and see if they are still available, which I doubt. Keep posting your work, it is very interesting.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Spindrift
Wheel Weights posted this 13 May 2020

Schultz & Larsen rifles are wonderful. Still made, not imported and VERY expensive. I once owned 9 including a 378 Weatherby that Roy chose as the only action appropriate. Now down to one, a 7x61 M54 that runs slicker than snot on a doorknob and w/a 26" bbl can match up to 99% of 7mm RemMags.

Carries a BalVar 8 with dot in S&K mounts (now how the heck does he adjust it ?) That was the most expensive USA scope back when and still holds up well.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Spindrift posted this 13 May 2020

Beautiful rifle, wheel weights!

The current S&L rifles have a 3-lug fat bolt, with the lugs locking in the rear of the chamber. The front reciever ring is a clamp, which allows switching barrels with an allen wrench only. The factory barrels include some interesting chamberings, like 6mmBR, 358 Norma magnum- and many more common cartridges. I have a 6,5x55, and a .30-06 barrel.

In Norway, the basic model (which I have) cost about the same as a Tikka T3x. But you get a walnut/steel rifle, with integral steel bedding block that is still quite light weight. A modern rifle design, with a flair of old school craftsmanship. I like it!

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 13 May 2020

Yes, here's a link with the whole story.

https://revivaler.com/schultz-larsen-rifles/

Wish they were imported "over here". I could sell off a bunch of rifles !

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Spindrift posted this 14 May 2020

Very good article! 

Attached Files

Close