I'm 70 and moving!

• Last Post 30 August 2023
longhunter posted this 26 August 2023

Well I am moving.  After 25 years here on the farm we are leaving.

I was in the military for 27 years so am use to moving.

But this is sure a hard move.  I have collected a lot of stuff.

So just a word to the wise on collecting.....It reproduces at an 3x rate!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 26 August 2023

Where is a good place to move to? I thought Florida would be nice, but home owner insurance is expensive. Darn everything is expensive everywhere.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 26 August 2023

Condominium? No mantinance...

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 August 2023

I'm stuck in the the political dung heap of Washington state. I'd love to escape to Idaho but too many kids and grandchildren here so I suffer.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Sevenfan
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 August 2023

you might consider Iowa ... constitutional carry, if a cop stops you he will ask what is your favorite load ... Corona was treated here successfully with hydrochloroquin, ignoring the dimwit pollyticians.... ...  old fashion schools teaching math and civics ... low car insurance ...   honest elections ...  IowaNice folks ... I live 3, 15, and 40 miles from public  ranges ... oh yeah ... world record whitetails with 35 cal rifles ... ...  and you can grow a year's food in your back yard ... or if you are short the neighbors will give you some of theirs ...

plates for my Corvair is $13 a year ...

but the bad news ... we have a lot of chiggers 5 months of the year ...

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 August 2023

Does it snow in Iowa?

Sorry, but Florida is hot, humid and nasty in the winter and worse in the summer. Full of nasty bugs and people. Southern ID, northern NV and western UT are all nice. 

FWIW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
bushranch posted this 26 August 2023

In the US I would pick Burwell Nebraska. Good hunting and shooting with the right kind of small town folks . Lots of Martin guitars for a picking session.

Rus

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
mashburn posted this 26 August 2023

Hello onghunter,

You might want to consider Southeast Oklahoma. It is God's country. and by the way CRT is not allowed to be taught in public schools and State Universities. Constitutional carry. You must be retired because there is nothing to work at that pays much, but there is plenty of hunting and lots of places to shoot.

All good people are welcome,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 August 2023

Having spent a tour in Viet Nam, not going any place with bugs! Scorpions and snakes are fine. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
GWarden posted this 26 August 2023

I second what Ken is saying about Iowa.

Bob

Iowa

Attached Files

Good Morning,

Coffee is on and I'm looking at the grass. nice sunrise.

Well Iowa is nice. I lived in Northwest Iowa and liked it fine.  Winters were tough!

I will be moving down River a bit in SW Wisconsin.  A House set back from the Mississippi River a couple of miles.

A little off the beaten path.  I will still be 40 minutes from the Range at the La Crosse Rifle club. Just no neighbors.

It is just such large task to move.  

It will be worth it in the end.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 26 August 2023

Lived about 40 miles East of La Crosse from 1991 to 2018.  Beautiful area with good hunting and fishing and good people.  My daughter and my son and his family still live in the area and I have friends there as well. I go back several times a year to visit and deer hunt.  As my grandkids get older am tempted to move back but don't know if I ever will.  FWIW Fort McCoy is in full swing and the VA Hospital in Tomah is excellent (DIL is a RN there).  Good luck on your move.

Attached Files

Wm Cook posted this 26 August 2023

Jon I can appreciate the task ahead of you.  The surgeries that didn’t go so well for me in 2017, followed by the necessity to downsize because I was unable to maintain the property was preceded by decades of intensive gathering of firearms, reloading equipment and gun gear.  

For me it started as a nightmare but ended good.  The cleansing reduced my mountain of stuff by 2/3rd’s and let me realign my gun safe and equipment reloading gear to what will carry me through my last years.  I had no idea what I all had on the shelf until I had the room empty and organized in boxes.  So much duplication.  I must have had a pickup full of good serviceable gun stuff that was either duplications or wasn’t needed anymore.  Three different caches of heavy sand, a box full of front and rear rest, multiple sets of .308 dies (??), decades of Precision Shooting magazines that I would never read again (kept the Rifle/Handloaders & the Fur Fish and Game).  There was gun stuff and reloading equipment that would never be used in the years I have left.  I really will not go prairie dog shooting again with that little Cooper 22 CCM.  Or the cute little .222 Sako vixen.  I didn’t need two Henry rimfire’s.  Or my collection of Mosin’s. Etc etc.  There’s a finite number of years left for me and I had to narrow my focus.

It’s all been streamlined quite a bit now.  Wrong for most but right for me, I trimmed my arsenal down to centerfire .22’s, 30 cals, 7.62’s and 9mm’s.  And rimfire.  And shotguns.  The shop is now half its size but I know where everything is and the equipment is center lined to the way I hand load.  Long guns loads are shoulder bumped, neck sized, in line seated.  9mm and 7.62 ammo are semi mass produced on a cheap Lee turret press.  Casting pots are cue’d up so I can go from bottom pour to ladle and Linotype to #2 Lyman in minutes.  A new bench was set up with all the reloading and casting equipment as I want it to be.

It was a royal pain in the butt, but what I have will take me to the end and I feel like I shed a lot of body weight.

But even after the cleansing there are things still being bought and added to what’s on the shelf and what’s in the safe.  

It doesn’t end, it just gives you a chance to lay your hands on everything and gives you a chance to adjust your priorities to what’s important to you.   Good luck.  Bill Cook.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 26 August 2023

I have been dealing with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy for 13 years now. 3 years ago when it got to be too much to handles stairs and slopes, I  made the move off the ranch and into town, where everything is on one floor. I still have my casting furnace and heat treating oven in a garage stall dedicated to my hobby. One of 3 bedrooms is my gun room where the loading takes place. So....I  haven't given up, but  don't shoot 2 to 4 times a week like I used to.

I got rid of a lot of excess stuff before the move, including over  a ton of lead alloys. I still have several MP 44  cal 4 cavity moulds that haven't been used in over 3 years, but I  haven't got the heart to sell them, yet!

I still have 11/ea 44 mag revolvers that have not been shot since last October, but they are worth more than my other investments. Those will eventually be passed down to my grandchildren. 

Folks.....enjoy your guns while you are able.

Attached Files

Thanks William Cook, you nailed it.

I am moving to a smaller loading area and less stuff......

Thank you Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 27 August 2023

Thanks Bill,

I too have been simplifying. I decided to only have 22 rim-fire and 30 caliber rifles. Then I cut down the number of 30 caliber rifles. I am down to one 30.06 but I have had it since high school and it has sentimental value. My hand gun stable is full, I need to start trimming it. I sold down my primers and powder when the prices were out of sight. I just kept enough to keep me going. I used to have 20 different powders for experimenting. Now I figure 4 or 5 will do everything I need.

I wish I had known about your Precision Shooting, I have a few and they are good reading. I have a file cabinet full of Fouling Shot, I need to get them on disk.

I really need to set up a plan for my executor, a non shooter will not know what to do with this stuff.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
Tom Acheson posted this 27 August 2023

Similar thoughts have occurred to me also. Thinning the gun herd. Downsizing the house is even more daunting….the bigger the house AND the garage, the more useless crap you can stuff into it.

I imagine a place in Montana, with a LOT of acreage. A climate controlled shooting shed, right behind the house. Various target distances, out to 1,000 yards. Assemble test loads, step out the back door and into the shed and fire them. Evaluate them, go back to the loading bench and repeat.  

It’s only a 15-minute drive to my gun club. But too often I get set-up to shoot and someone walks up and wants to talk. Being polite and listening, extends the time I planned to be there oftentimes by a factor of 3! I may be soured by traveling on business when I was working and being stuck in a plane seat next to a “chatty kathy” (guy). AND my club only has 200-meters…too short.

Why Montana? I’ve Mule Deer hunted in Wyoming since 1977 @ the same ranch. Those “out-west-people” are great. I spent a few summers on a wheat farm on the east shore of the Missouri in ND when I was in my teens. Those folks are quite similar to the MT and WY people, down to earth and real.

Getting away from the political media controlled open sewers of St. Paul and Minneapolis is a paramount factor. I avoid going to them but they still impart their corrosive influence on the suburbs. I have and can handled winters, so “go west young man” fits my mindset.

You never know…..

Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 August 2023

Three moves equals one fire.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
  • Tim DeMarais
John Carlson posted this 27 August 2023

I moved about 5 years ago, only a few miles but out of city limits (I never was temperamentally suited for that anyway)  Loved the idea of leaving my 24x32 shop to a 30x40 shop.  Hauled a pickup and trailer load every day organizing and equipping the new digs.  Trouble is the new shop got full before the old one got empty.  Still haven't figured that one out.

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 28 August 2023

Three moves equals one fire.
So said my mother some 60-70 years ago!
T

Attached Files

dbarron posted this 28 August 2023

It’ll be my sons’ problem.  PAYBACK. Took the youngest through the details last week. Revenge is sweet. Loved the deer in the headlights look.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close