Hollow point mold

• Last Post 22 December 2021
2frogs posted this 21 December 2021

Just got a new hollow point mold single cavity Lyman 44 cal 250 gr . Any pointers on using it. Never had one before..Also it's a gas check.. #2650640. Appreciate any advice

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
sluggo posted this 21 December 2021

Check the hollow point stem. If it is a little rough polish it up. It will give a more consistent release and hollow point.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs

Will do so tomorrow, appreciate your reply..

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 December 2021

also, get the hollow pointer stem hot before pouring ... gotta play with pre-heating a little .. the thin stem cools and heats faster than the main blocks.

Attached Files

Spindrift posted this 21 December 2021

I like to have a pencil handy when I cast HP’s. If the bullets tend to stick to the pin, it helps to rub the pin a little with the pencil.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
JeffinNZ posted this 21 December 2021

Run the alloy and mould HOT.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs

Thanks for the advice. I have never used one before..

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 21 December 2021

I second the motion for keep the mold hot! I made a holder out of wire that keeps the pin in the pot while it is out of the mold. I think I got that from a YouTube video Jeff had posted if I recall. It helps keep the thin pin from losing too much heat while I'm removing the bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
  • RicinYakima
delmarskid posted this 22 December 2021

I use a hot plate to get the mold hot . Sometimes I heat the pin with a propane torch.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 22 December 2021

You need to heat the blocks during casting. Casting is SLOOOW with a HP mold and it is not possible to keep the mold hot enough to cast good bullets. Pouring a big sprue helps but I still had to heat the blocks on a hotplate every 5 or so bullets. 5 bullets then 2 minutes on the hot plate. 

I made a wire hangar to hold the pin over a propane torch. You only want a small flame so you do not burn the pin.

I used Mold Prep on the cavities and pin, but they must be cool for this. It lasts ~50 bullets so the pencil may be a better idea, 

Have Fun

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
2frogs posted this 22 December 2021

I was thinking about the touch idea at 43 this morning. Like I said,it should be interesting. Appreciate your comment. This is my first ever..lol.. merry Christmas..

Attached Files

Close