Has RCBS discontinued their .30 180gr. sp. mold?

• Last Post 31 December 2021
.22-10-45 posted this 31 December 2021

Midway has an ad stating the RCBS .30 180gr. sp. mold is discontinued..has Midway stopped stocking..or has RCBS stopped making it?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 31 December 2021

Since the old man turned the company over to his daughters, any answer is possible.

• RCBs stopped making (discontinued) - Call them direct.
  • Midway stopped stocking -  Call them and ask for someone in Purchasing.

Freeland's Scope Stands went belly up in five years after Al retired and turned it over to his family's operation. Midway has had a lot of negative discussion on various forums in this year. That alone is not a good sign.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 31 December 2021

Web site still says .30-180-FN is made and for sale. No listing for the SP. It is also the only list the 150-CM (PB) and 150 FN, the only .30 calibers left. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 31 December 2021

Doing a quick survey on the RCBS website as Ric has done and in light of the current employment/employee situation hampering production, my guess is these molds that are most sold in recent years. As such, the accounting department will dictate making only the molds that are selling.

I'd go to NOE and look at the offerings. The bullet at NOE 310-188-sp-h4 might be a good bullet as my RCBS bullet is 188 / 189 weight lubed and gaschecked depending on alloy.

The website says "Sold Out", however, I call and ask if they can schedule this mold for production in a few weeks. I usually get the mold within that time.

Personal note: A four-cavity brass mold is very heavy. The aluminum molds are much lighter and I last longer in a casting session.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 31 December 2021

Why are you so interested in this bullet? As cast it shoots no better than the Lyman 311299.

Bumping and fitting to throat is another story.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 31 December 2021

That particular mold was quite popular in our area, maybe 20-years ago. 

At one time I owned at least one mold of each RCBS 30 Silhouette designation. Over time they were given away or sold. But…I ran across a 30-130 Silhouette mold and borrowed to make (500) of them. Hope to experiment with them someday.

Agree….search out the NOE offerings or contact Accurate Molds to get an exact copy made. You can select the alloy you use, the number of cavities and the diameters that you want.

Tom

Attached Files

Close