dross

• Last Post 20 December 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 19 December 2020

Max 503 brought up a good question. What do we do with the dross? It is probably toxic waste? Here in rural utah it goes in the trash along with other nasties. We have no place locally for toxic stuff. What about you all??

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 19 December 2020

In the trash. Much as I would like to send it to the Green Party I thought better than to do that. 🤪

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
RicinYakima posted this 19 December 2020

Yes, many times more toxic than any vapors coming off the pot. I put it in a three pound coffee can and next day put a half cup of plaster of paris over it. When the can if full it goes into the garbage and is placed in a sanitary landfill of the county. Perfectly safe and good for at least 1000 years.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
BigMan54 posted this 19 December 2020

I use a "one" lb coffee can. When it's full, i snap on the lid and put it in the recycle bin. Let the trashpickers figure it out.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 19 December 2020

When I was buying lead from a foundry in South Seattle, I gave the dross to them to reclaim any tin. They were happy to get the dross to reclaim the tin.

My cleaning method now using fine corn meal and candle wax leaves a fine powdery dross when I smelt large quantities into ingots or flux the melt while casting. There is enough wax trapped in the corn meal to burn down to a powder, This dross goes into coffee cans and into the trash, it is primarily carbon from the corm meal. This goes into the sanitary landfill.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

max503 posted this 19 December 2020

I like the idea of encasing it with plaster.  Like I've mentioned in the other threads, this range scrap leaves a lot of dross.  Much more than you would get if you are just skimming the pot, or smelting wheel weights, for that matter.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Dale53 posted this 19 December 2020

I save my "dross" for the county toxic waste collection. A quick drive-by and it is disposed of properly.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
cbshtr posted this 19 December 2020

I was on the back of a trash truck for over 2 years. What is being said about confining the dross dust is true but only to protect the workers on the truck. Nothing like dumping a can with loose vacuum cleaner dust or ash. The power of the compacter will crush, break open and destroy any container you could possibly imagine. So no matter how you pack it, there's a really good chance it's going to be busted open before it reaches the landfill.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 December 2020

The advantage of the plaster of paris is that as it breaks into chunks, most of the dross will still be inside the chunks. The key is making the plaster of paris thin enough for containment.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
max503 posted this 20 December 2020

I was on the back of a trash truck for over 2 years. What is being said about confining the dross dust is true but only to protect the workers on the truck.

That there seems like a good enough reason to encase it in plaster.  In fact, I now see it as a responsibility.

Attached Files

Close