BS LIST-Powder charge increments <.5 grains

• Last Post 08 August 2018
joeb33050 posted this 08 August 2018

Powder charge increments <.5 grains

This is as much about arithmetic as shooting.

6.4.5 THE ASTOUNDING POWDER MEASURE TEST! demonstrates that, depending on the measure and the powder, powder charges vary about .1 grain.

In a .1 grain increment world, a charge of, for example, 22.7 grains, is a statement that there is SOME difference between 22.7 grains, 22.6 grains, and 22.8 grains. (More precisely, the “domain” of 22.7 is from 22.65 + a smidgen to 22.75 – a smidgen.)  

If there is, it would require very large sample sizes to be confident of the difference.

In a .5 grain increment world, a powder charge of 22.5 grains is a statement that there is SOME difference between 22.0, 22.5, and 23.0 grains. (More precisely, the “domain” of 22.5 is from 22.25 + a smidgen to 22.75 – a smidgen.)  

If there is, it would require small sample sizes to be confident of the difference.

The 22.7 charge is an arithmetic statement that’s close to impossible to prove.

It may be reasonable, and is easy, to throw charges in increments of .25 grains. I set the measure to throw two charges that together weigh 44.5 grains, so one charge weighs 22.25 grains. I haven’t detected a reliable difference in accuracy yet but remain hopeful.

Threshold: Any reasonable powder measure and scale-beam balance-will throw acceptable charges. My experience with electronic scales has reinforced my good opinion of about any beam balance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jchiggins posted this 08 August 2018

Threshold: Any reasonable powder measure and scale-beam balance-will throw acceptable charges. My experience with electronic scales has reinforced my good opinion of about any beam balance.

I am a relatively new reloader; all I've ever used is an electronic scale.  There are times when the electronic scale drives me crazy due to air movement or who knows what else. 

JoeB33050 - Your comment struck me because sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't try a balance beam scale.

BTW, I'm enjoying the research you are doing.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 August 2018

I use the RCBS Uniflow with optional smaller diameter pistol insert. The smaller diameter helps with charge accuracy and volume is perfect for small charges for cast bullets.

I learn faster by using whole 1 grain increments, then maybe adjust by .5 grain increments. 

Attached Files

Close