Barrel 223 twist for cast bullets

• Last Post 11 March 2024
  • Topic Is Solved
2frogs posted this 12 January 2024

Picked up an older 110e savage in 223 cal. I want to use this for cast bullets only. Not sure what the twist is yet. My question for you guys with more years of experience is what is the ideal twist for 55,to 60 grain bullets.. just in case I might want to rebarrel it.. thanks..johnny

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 January 2024

not sure what quickest twist might be ... but 14 twist I think is not quite fast enough for 55-60 gr., even round nose Loverin design ones, at 1400 fps. ... maybe 2200 and up ?

back when I was trying to get my 222 to mostly shoot under 1.5 moa ... i got there most often with a Loverin 225438 .. 44 grain ... i was frustrated with the 225462 ... i just knew it was a better bullet, but at least up to 1800 fps It was inconsistent and bullet holes were sometimes oblong.  

...  also In my rifle, both above bullet noses were a tad too small for my lands ...  i wound up with the 438 ... several thousand of them .. with 2400 and 4227 ... better than Unique ... geeze, 20 rounds for a buck ... 

still smarting from that old defeat, today I would  bump .. and squeeze ... the nose and front band of the 55 gr to be snug in the throat/leade ...  the range of needed twist is fairly wide and perfect bullets and chambers are less twist sensitive .   ... and, dangit ... all the match 22 barrels in my collection are 14 twist ...  

anybody interested in a takeoff but nice 14 twist shilen varmint SS in 220 Swift  .. for remmy 700 ? .. I am looking for a sporter 357 barrel to build a 35 Whelen ...  

ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 13 January 2024

First I would figure what twist you have. Your barrel could be broke in just enough to shoot cast, such as a little throat erosion can be good for cast. I have have had good success with 1/12 twist and bumped bullets. My favorite as cast 22 cal bullet is the 62 grain lbt and soft alloy.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 13 January 2024

14 twist is definite not fast enought for the longer heavier bullet especially if the bullet profile make it long.  Actually if the alloy is correct, the bullet fits the throat and bore well, and the bullet isn't pushed past what the alloy will stand, and most importantly, if the bullet enters the bore/groove straight all the twists will shoot. The harder to get to shoot is of course the 7 twist because everything has to be perfect because the higher rpm with amplify all errors and defects with the bullet. I don't want to put a specific twist here, but leaning towards a 12. I like the 9 twist too, too bad they don't have a 10 twist as a standard one.  There are two bullets out there, one called the 224 NATO at about 62 grains and the Heavy Nato at about 70 some grains, that would definitely require a faster twist then 14 for sure. With those I believe I'd go with a 9 twist.  All depends how ong your bullet is that you are going to shoot. Twist is figured on the length of the bullet not the weight and that confuses people because we all know the heavier a bullet the longer the bullet is. Now there is something that can change that. Before all these new fangled twist in the .224 caliber barrels, mainly AR's, most were 14 twist for jacketed. Take the 22-250.  Well some shooters wanted to shoot a heavier bullet from those and it wouldn't stabilize them so Sierra came out with a 63 grain semi point jacketed bullet.  Being a little shorter because of a semi point being shorter then a pointed bullet enabled it to perform in almost all 14 twist.  Now a good friend of mine had a Ruger Varminter in 22-250 that threw those semi points almost sideways. He gave me the rest to shoot from a 7 twist AR15.  Basically the slowest twist that will stabilize the bullet will be the EASIEST to get so shoot.  That's it in a nutshell. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
2frogs posted this 13 January 2024

I really appreciate your post. It explains a lot to me. First thing I'll do is measure the twist in it just to be sure.. thanks again.. johnny

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 13 January 2024

I have a Encore 223 pro hunter 28" with a 1 in 12 twist that does good with the 70 gr bullets pushing them somewhere around 1700 fps.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
MP1886 posted this 13 January 2024

I'm going to say that Savage is either a 12 or 14 twist.  If it's a 12 you should try it before you go through the hassle of getting another barrel. I just may suprise you. 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 13 January 2024

2frogs

If you intend on velocities down in the 1400 fps +/- area as do some then a 12" or faster twist would probably serve best.  However, I've shot numerous 14" twist 22 H, 222s, 223s and 22-250s That do just fine with 50 - 60 gr cast bullets in the 1700 - 2100+ fps range.  Now the 16" twist Hornets are another story.  With those the lighter 225438 that worked best for Ken will work best.

Agree with MP1886, it's probably a 12 pr 14" twist.  Best to measure it though.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 13 January 2024

The lbt bullet has a long bearing surface and should be sized so that it chambers with resistance without being pushed back into case. The softer alloys help with clambering. This bullet is no longer made, but NOE should be able to copy this and other lbt designs.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 13 January 2024

No doubt I will be single loading it like I always do..thanks for the information. Johnny

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 13 January 2024

I have bought several Savage M12  223 rifles starting in  2000 and all have had 1- 9" twists that would stabilize the .9" long  85 grain bullet I use a lot. 

In my, not always humble, opinion, worrying about the twist being too fast is wasted time unless you are averaging .25 moa or less (and no CB shooter is).  

The  Savage rifles mentioned above with 9" twists would all shoot the common 40 to 55 grain (438, 415, etc.) bullets as well as my 1 in 14" twist 222s. I know some theories would make you think otherwise but that is my actual experience by shooting thousands of them in matches and in-between. Stop worrying about twist, if it is enough to stabilize, and worry about fit.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 9.3X62AL
  • Bud Hyett
MP1886 posted this 14 January 2024

I have bought several Savage M12  223 rifles starting in  2000 and all have had 1- 9" twists that would stabilize the .9" long  85 grain bullet I use a lot. 

In my, not always humble, opinion, worrying about the twist being too fast is wasted time unless you are averaging .25 moa or less (and no CB shooter is).  

The  Savage rifles mentioned above with 9" twists would all shoot the common 40 to 55 grain (438, 415, etc.) bullets as well as my 1 in 14" twist 222s. I know some theories would make you think otherwise but that is my actual experience by shooting thousands of them in matches and in-between. Stop worrying about twist, if it is enough to stabilize, and worry about fit.

John

Amen John, that's what I've been saying for many years. Glad you posted it. 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 16 January 2024

"Picked up an older 110e savage in 223 cal. I want to use this for cast bullets only. Not sure what the twist is yet. My question for you guys with more years of experience is what is the ideal twist for 55,to 60 grain bullets.. just in case I might want to rebarrel it.. thanks..johnny"

If 2frogs is going to rebarrel the rifle then the "ideal" twist will be dependent on the length of the bullet(s) and the velocity range intended.  The discussion may be more pertinent if he can advise those parameters?

LMG

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 17 January 2024

"In my, not always humble, opinion, worrying about the twist being too fast is wasted time unless you are averaging .25 moa or less (and no CB shooter is).  

The  Savage rifles mentioned above with 9" twists would all shoot the common 40 to 55 grain (438, 415, etc.) bullets as well as my 1 in 14" twist 222s. I know some theories would make you think otherwise but that is my actual experience by shooting thousands of them in matches and in-between. Stop worrying about twist, if it is enough to stabilize, and worry about fit."

=========

I should have qualified my earlier post above.  The thing that can make a too fast twist less accurate than an ideal twist is a defect that unbalances the bullet. But the defect has to be BIG. I have shot some pretty wrinkled bullets in fast twists that produced groups as small as with slow twist barres.

The JB guys shooting quarter inch groups may need the ideal twist instead of something faster but us ordinary mortals shooting decent CB are never going to tell the difference, Especially with the tiny number of shots most of are wiling to fire to find out.  One more theoretical thing to fret over even even though this  theory can be proven valid by shooting goss artificially defects vs. decent bullets.

John

--------

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 17 January 2024

"In my, not always humble, opinion, worrying about the twist being too fast is wasted time unless you are averaging .25 moa or less (and no CB shooter is).  

The  Savage rifles mentioned above with 9" twists would all shoot the common 40 to 55 grain (438, 415, etc.) bullets as well as my 1 in 14" twist 222s. I know some theories would make you think otherwise but that is my actual experience by shooting thousands of them in matches and in-between. Stop worrying about twist, if it is enough to stabilize, and worry about fit."

=========

I should have qualified my earlier post above.  The thing that can make a too fast twist less accurate than an ideal twist is a defect that unbalances the bullet. But the defect has to be BIG. I have shot some pretty wrinkled bullets in fast twists that produced groups as small as with slow twist barres.

The JB guys shooting quarter inch groups may need the ideal twist instead of something faster but us ordinary mortals shooting decent CB are never going to tell the difference, Especially with the tiny number of shots most of are wiling to fire to find out.  One more theoretical thing to fret over even even though this  theory can be proven valid by shooting goss artificially defects vs. decent bullets.

John

John we haven't gotten along great in the past, but I'm telling you that I am liking your more and more.  You are dead nuts right about twist. We both know who it is that overboard and WRONG on fast twist.  I've found the exact same thing as you have.  You have to have as near perfect bullet and you have to start it as straight as possible in the rifling.  Bryan Litz told me that I wouldn't believe him how fast a twist had to be to actually destroy the accuracy of a bullet. Keep up the good posts, they are especially benefitial to new members and maybe the word will get around and more people will sign up.  Fast twist negatism has ruined other forums and you know of which I'm speaking. 

--------

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 17 January 2024

Guess I should sell all my 30 caliber barrels and replace them with a single 8 twist. I imagine that'd stabilize and give the same accuracy no matter what length bullet or velocity I shoot.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 17 January 2024

Guess I should sell all my 30 caliber barrels and replace them with a single 8 twist. I imagine that'd stabilize and give the same accuracy no matter what length bullet or velocity I shoot.
You may as well, look all those old military middle bores had twist close to that. That is as long as you cast perfect bullets with no major defects and start em straight in the bore. 

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 January 2024

Not a .223 but close....a .22 BR. When I ordered the Lilja barrel, I considered either a 8 and 9 twist (3-groove, chrome moly). I'm using an NOE 80-grain bullet. I chose 1:8 twist believing it would be as good as a 9 and maybe someday I might find a slightly longer bullet, so the 8 might be helpful.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
Larry Gibson posted this 18 January 2024

No one is "overboard" or "wrong" on fast twist barrels with cast bullets.

The OP, 2frogs, asked a simple question; "My question for you guys with more years of experience is what is the ideal twist for 55,to 60 grain bullets.. just in case I might want to rebarrel it."

Understanding the effects, good and bad, of how the twist of the barrel effects casts bullets is not "negatism", it is knowledge.  It is the furtherance of such knowledge that is one of the aims of this forum, if I am not mistaken?

It is common knowledge a specific length of a bullet at specific velocity will perform best (as in accuracy capability) in a specific twist barrel given good quality of all.  Thus, for best accuracy with a cast bullet, we can adjust the velocity level to the twist rate of a given twist barrel such as is on 2frogs M110.  Or, if he is going to rebarrel, he then has the option of adjusting the twist by selection to match specific cast bullets for best accuracy potential.  So, we see, 2frogs is asking if he rebarrels what would be an "ideal" twist.  He is not asking what is best for the current barrel is he.......

Now, to further answer 2 frogs question without any "negatism" toward any concept or other members here let me add my opinion, especially since I don't claim to cast "a perfect" bullet.  For the last 50 years +/- [not sure that is "more years of experience" as 2frogs asks for but is what I have to base and opinion on] experience casting 22 cal bullets for and loading in 223 Rem chambered rifles.  Those numerous rifles have had twists of 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.5, 12 and 14 inches.  Over the years i have used and thoroughly tested numerous different styles of 22 caliber cast bullets some of which I no longer have.  I currently have 223 Rem chambered rifles with 8, 9, 11.5, 12 and 14" twist barrels.  I currently have the following moulds and have tested them in the 223 chambered rifles; 225107, 225438, 225415, 225462 and the MP 227-65.  

Now, in my humble experience were I to rebarrel any action for a 223 chamber I've found the "ideal" twist barrel to give the best accuracy over a range of velocity from 1400 upward of 2200 fps with 50 to 60 gr cast bullets and at full velocity potential with jacketed bullets [2frogs didn't say which] is a 12" twist.  That will give the best stability and accuracy out to longer ranges than 100 yards.  Now, for John and MP1886s edification, that is not saying an 8" twist 223 chambered barrel isn't capable of giving the same level of accuracy with either cast or jacketed because it is.  However, with jacketed bullets the same velocity levels with pretty much equal accuracy are obtainable but with cast bullets in the faster 8" twist the velocity levels for best accuracy drops down to the 1200 - 1600 fps range. 

BTW, MP1886 continuously states or insinuates, even though I've corrected him numerous times, I don't think fast twist are accurate.  Fact is I just last month set the current record at our local club for the 400 aggregate 300 yard F Class match.  I shot a 400 with 35 Xs using an 8" twist 223 chambered rifle.  Kind of belies MP1886s mistaken belief.....that and the fact I shoot a heck of a lot more cast bullets through standard twist rifles than I do through rebarreled rifles with slower than standard twists.  

LMG

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Carlson
2frogs posted this 18 January 2024

225462 is my intended bullet to be using in this rifle if that sheds any light on the twist rate of the barrel. I guess I should have mentioned this before.. thanks. 2frogs

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 18 January 2024

No one is "overboard" or "wrong" on fast twist barrels with cast bullets.

The OP, 2frogs, asked a simple question; "My question for you guys with more years of experience is what is the ideal twist for 55,to 60 grain bullets.. just in case I might want to rebarrel it."

Understanding the effects, good and bad, of how the twist of the barrel effects casts bullets is not "negatism", it is knowledge.  It is the furtherance of such knowledge that is one of the aims of this forum, if I am not mistaken?

It is common knowledge a specific length of a bullet at specific velocity will perform best (as in accuracy capability) in a specific twist barrel given good quality of all.  Thus, for best accuracy with a cast bullet, we can adjust the velocity level to the twist rate of a given twist barrel such as is on 2frogs M110.  Or, if he is going to rebarrel, he then has the option of adjusting the twist by selection to match specific cast bullets for best accuracy potential.  So, we see, 2frogs is asking if he rebarrels what would be an "ideal" twist.  He is not asking what is best for the current barrel is he.......

Now, to further answer 2 frogs question without any "negatism" toward any concept or other members here let me add my opinion, especially since I don't claim to cast "a perfect" bullet.  For the last 50 years +/- [not sure that is "more years of experience" as 2frogs asks for but is what I have to base and opinion on] experience casting 22 cal bullets for and loading in 223 Rem chambered rifles.  Those numerous rifles have had twists of 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.5, 12 and 14 inches.  Over the years i have used and thoroughly tested numerous different styles of 22 caliber cast bullets some of which I no longer have.  I currently have 223 Rem chambered rifles with 8, 9, 11.5, 12 and 14" twist barrels.  I currently have the following moulds and have tested them in the 223 chambered rifles; 225107, 225438, 225415, 225462 and the MP 227-65.  

Now, in my humble experience were I to rebarrel any action for a 223 chamber I've found the "ideal" twist barrel to give the best accuracy over a range of velocity from 1400 upward of 2200 fps with 50 to 60 gr cast bullets and at full velocity potential with jacketed bullets [2frogs didn't say which] is a 12" twist.  That will give the best stability and accuracy out to longer ranges than 100 yards.  Now, for John and MP1886s edification, that is not saying an 8" twist 223 chambered barrel isn't capable of giving the same level of accuracy with either cast or jacketed because it is.  However, with jacketed bullets the same velocity levels with pretty much equal accuracy are obtainable but with cast bullets in the faster 8" twist the velocity levels for best accuracy drops down to the 1200 - 1600 fps range. 

BTW, MP1886 continuously states or insinuates, even though I've corrected him numerous times, I don't think fast twist are accurate.  Fact is I just last month set the current record at our local club for the 400 aggregate 300 yard F Class match.  I shot a 400 with 35 Xs using an 8" twist 223 chambered rifle.  Kind of belies MP1886s mistaken belief.....that and the fact I shoot a heck of a lot more cast bullets through standard twist rifles than I do through rebarreled rifles with slower than standard twists.  

LMG

This is an interesting post. I see nowhere in my previous post mention of your name. It's amazing how you came to the conclusion that I was naming your specifically. MP1886 doesn't have any mistaken beliefs, I think the problem is that you have a phobia of people picking on you because of your fast twist beliefs which for the past 20 years or so keep changing. It's a persons right to disagree with another persons' beliefs, ideas, and assumptions......except if your Donald Trump. 

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close