Anybody loading round balls in .32 H&R?

• Last Post 12 February 2022
Boschloper posted this 06 February 2022

I am thinking of using a round ball in 32 H&R for squirrel hunting. My first attempt was a 00 buck shot sized to .3117 over 2 gr. of HP38. These shot "minute of squirrel" but not as good as my plinking load of a Lyman 313249 over 3 gr. HP38. 

My goal is a load that is quiet and accurate.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 06 February 2022

I use .319" pure lead and sized .314" in a lube/sizer. To be honest, the .323" balls are better, but hard for me to find. These are made for the .31 Colt C&P revolvers. HTH

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 06 February 2022

In a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, loaded a #0 buckshot that had been sized in a .308 die. This was a double ball load with a wad over the powder and a drop of candle wax between the balls for lubrication. Sizing the ball left a wide band that was lightly crimped on for the firing. The initial charge was 3.0 grains of Bullseye. They were noticeably smoky.

They shot well on a 50 foot range, one ball in the black and one ball still within the white rings. I used them several times on nighttime raiding raccoons and was able to hit them. However, it took several shots to down them. Thus I went to 3.5 grains Bullseye which was more devastating and the accuracy stayed the same.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
JohnForrest posted this 08 February 2022

You have to powder coat them pink to get them to shoot good

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • Spindrift
Boschloper posted this 08 February 2022

John:  Powder coat isn't a problem except I only have red powder.  What size ball are you using?  Are you sizing?  Before or after coating?  Looks like you are loading .300 Blackout and 7.62 X 25, what kind and how much powder?  Have you learned any tricks that improve accuracy?

Attached Files

I got ahold of a lee 310 round ball mold 3-4 years ago. They go up to 313-315 after coating. I didn't dink around sizing them. I think the case neck did it for me, they slid right in a pps-43.One of the good you tube reloaders did a bunch of shows on round balls, he called em bunny farts I think. Some ok info there. I was getting minute of bean can had  some fun. Now I have a bunch of pink ball buckshot loads in 12 gauge, thats fun too.  

I call my Tokarev stuff...300 junior They are kind of comical next to each other.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 11 February 2022

Primers come in plastic trays.  They are in there in rows of 10 x 10.  If you saw off a row of ten, then tape over nine of those holes, you are left with a very small powder measure.  I've used that much Bullseye in 38 special cases and shot the loads out of 2" barrel guns. 

Those loads are quiet and you can actually see the bullet go through the air.  I've used them to practice trick shooting.  Throw an object in the air and hit it on the fly.  If you use bottles wear a big hat otherwise you will get showered with broken glass.  Ask me how I know.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
max503 posted this 11 February 2022

Last year I went by Graf's and snagged a used, one cavity .375 ball mold.  Haven't used it yet, but this thread had peaked my interest.  You guys got me thinking and now I might have to give that mold a workout.  I even have the pink powder to go with it.

Attached Files

WINCHESTER 71 posted this 12 February 2022

Elmer Keith's book Six guns speaks of a barber in Helena that shot round balls out of a Colt............the zillions of times this book has been read each reader has had this planted in his brain.............I have shot RB's out of everything from a hornet to 45-70's even my no neck 300 Win mag with no issues and sometimes really exceptional accuracy........stacking 2 or 3 balls further enhances the fun of a 45-90 BB gun 3 shooter and I have had people spot for me while sighting in the 45-90 and not comprehending 1 boom equals 3 45 cal holes on the paper.............................

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 February 2022

my input with roundballs in my 44 mag ...  at least at 100 feet ... is that smuched roundballs to get a tight fit shoot better than perfectly round but looser round balls ...

maybe related to ( ? why ? ) beagled bent match bullets shoot better than perfect but looser fit bullets ...

the scales of knowledge of cast bullets tilt sharply towards the unknown ...

ken

Attached Files

Close