Lee TL-160-2R bullet mould for 303 ?

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 28 August 2013
storm42 posted this 25 August 2013

Hi, I've just molded some heads with the lee TL-160-2r for my lee Enfeild 303 which have come out really nice but when I have started to assemble Ive found that I can,t get to the max length are these 160 grain heads not right for this caliber Has any body used this mold for 303 British if so what length have they set them to. I would be grateful for any help

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wayne S posted this 25 August 2013

It's bullets or castings NOT heads.  Where does this MAX length come from ? Have you shot any of thoses seated so they will chamber, and what was the result ? Are you sizing these bullets and if so what size ?  Load one bullet in a case  {that you know will chamber}with no primer or powder, to your MAX ???? length, mark the entire bullet with a magic marker, attempt to chamber, remove and see where the bullet is making contact, re-mark and turn your seating die 1/2 turn seat the bullet to that depth, attempt to chamber, if it won't keep repeating turning the die the 1/2 turn process till the round will chamber. Save that round for the next time you reload  that bullet in that weapon

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 26 August 2013

Lighten up.

He sounds like he's speaking with a South African accent.  'Heads” is a common nickname in South Africa for bullets, cast or jacketed.

Be glad he wasn't talking about a “hailgun” :)

Or “nails” for cartridges.  A holdover from WWII guncontrol days, against the “disloyal Africaners” who may (or may not) have had German sympathies.

Wayne S wrote: It's bullets or castings NOT heads.  Where does this MAX length come from ? Have you shot any of thoses seated so they will chamber, and what was the result ? Are you sizing these bullets and if so what size ?  Load one bullet in a case  {that you know will chamber}with no primer or powder, to your MAX ???? length, mark the entire bullet with a magic marker, attempt to chamber, remove and see where the bullet is making contact, re-mark and turn your seating die 1/2 turn seat the bullet to that depth, attempt to chamber, if it won't keep repeating turning the die the 1/2 turn process till the round will chamber. Save that round for the next time you reload  that bullet in that weapon

Attached Files

storm42 posted this 26 August 2013

Hi the lee mold CTL-160-2R is I think really meant for 7.62's the Moud I wanted the C312-185-1R they didnt have them in stock and told me that the CTL-160-2R would be ok. When I started to assemble the Bullet I could only get 74mm overall length (case and casting) not the max 78mm. my question is this safe and if so would it be accurate. The lead castings are for down loaded charges I will be using at the gallery range (25yrds)

Attached Files

grouch posted this 26 August 2013

You can load shorter than max length with no safety concern. As to accuracy, you'll just have to try it. Grouch

Attached Files

grouch thanks for your answer 4 mm looked a lot, as I've all ways loaded nearer to the max length. Now i know its safe ill give it a go :)

Attached Files

docbob posted this 26 August 2013

storm42, I'd be more concerned about bullet diameter than overall cartridge length. I'd think You will need at least a .312” diameter. The C312-185 mold would be the one I'd want for .303 British. Check to see how far your bullet goes into the muzzle of your rfle. Good luck and enjoy your shooting. DocBob

Attached Files

RDUPRAZ posted this 26 August 2013

storm 42:

While the method of finding the max. OAL of a loaded round for a particular rifle that Wayne S describes will work if everything goes right, I have found that some times it will lie to you. The problem is that the neck tension has to be jjust right or the bullet will not slide into the case and jjamb into the rifling Or if the tension is too loose, and the round is not loaded into the chamber perfectly the bullet will slide into the case before the nose meets the rifling. And slide out when extracted.

A better way and one that I use is to close the cocked bolt on an empty chamber. Then push a rod down the bore from the muzzle until it stops against the bolt face. A cleaning rod works if it has a flat tipped jag. Put a piece of tape around the expose portion of the rod with one side up against the muzzle.

Then, open the bolt and push a sized bullet as far up into the throat as you can until it stops. Hold it there while you again push the rod down the bore from the muzzle. Again, tape the rod at the muzzle.

The measurement between the two sides of the tape that were against the muzzle will give you the max loaded round OAL. And a place to start adjusting if you need to for accuracy.

Hope you find the above long winded tribe useful.

RD

Attached Files

Hi Docbob thanks for your reply I've realized I missed out the Dia on the post heading it is .312. Its just I hadn't thought it out properly e.g both molds being.312 dia but the 160gr is shorter than the 185gr and that's why Im 4mm short of the recommended length :X when there back in stock i will buy the 185g. I was just worried that the overall length being short would be dangerous and I've been put right on that one

Attached Files

Hi RD thanks for your reply(not long winded at all very informative) when I get the right mold I will try that out :)

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 27 August 2013

Hope I am not jumping in at the wrong level but RD's way to get starting OAL cartridge length is neat. Better than my way of just starting a bullet in the case then ramming the bolt home until it closes. Pretty barbaric actually.

Welcome to the clan Mr. Storm42. I love your terminology. A bit like Australian's with THUNDER BOX in place of out house or restroom!

Also a hearty welcome to Mr. RDUPRAZ. Welcome aboard to both. There are some pretty hardcore casters at this place!

Attached Files

mckg posted this 27 August 2013

If your bullets are too skinny, think about “beagling” the mold: http://castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/Beagling.pdf

Regarding OAL, you want the bullet to somehow engage the rifling, without falling form the case :). There is an interesting pictorial here: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=9859&forumid=61

Attached Files

storm42 posted this 27 August 2013

Thanks for the welcome Uncle Russ. So far I've been called South African and now Australian I have to tell you that I do struggle with words so apologizes for my grammar which is obviously giving me an accent I never new I had :cool: Thanks mckg for the links and every body else that's helped me great site !

Attached Files

adrians posted this 27 August 2013

Storm42 ,, where is Bradford on Avon,,. Just curious,,,:coffee

Attached Files

storm42 posted this 27 August 2013

Its in the county Wiltshire near the city of Bath :)

Attached Files

adrians posted this 27 August 2013

o.k ,, i'm from Yorkshire and I was pretty sure you wasn't talking about Bradford, Yorks,,. Cheers.:cool:

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 28 August 2013

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I hate to admit it, but I was wrong again. Judging from the accent I thought you were a Kiwi..

Attached Files

Close