Glocks

• 8.9K Views
  • Last Post 18 October 2013
PETE posted this 23 June 2013

Been thinking about buying a Glock but all I hear is that they shoot jacketed bullets OK but not cast. About the only reason I've heard is it has to do with the type of rifling they use. Seems rather strange to me since a lot of the old SS rifles had similar rifling. Anybody care to be a little more specific as to the why?

Pete

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Trusty posted this 23 June 2013

Pete

Like all other, Glock, they don't want you to shoot reloads, it's their liability issue period.

That being said.I changed out my barrel to Wolf Distributing Co and you can shoot anything, lead, Etc. Also the Chamber is better supported then in the Glock barrel. It's a 40 and I install the factory barrel and load with factory ammo when I carry.

Even with factory barrels I can not tell any difference between the accuracy of any of my my Glocks when using cast lead made up of hard heat treated wheel weighs and jacketed bullets.

Maybe the good Italian Doctor would care to comment as I believe he has a lot of hands on shooting lead in Glock's.

As to buying a Glock all I can say can be summed up as Reliable. I would rather have a 4 inch at 25 yards gun that always goes bang for carry then a 2 inch at 50 yard gun that is not 100% reliable.

Duane

Attached Files

PETE posted this 23 June 2013

Duane,

Thanks. I like your explanation! Seems more reasonable.

Will look into the Wolfe barrel option in necessary.

I was thinking maybe shooters were trying push lead bullets up to jacketed velocities and due to the rifling shape in Glocks were stripping and possibly leading the barrel. Then of course we have the “competition” model Glocks and I couldn't see people using them wanting to practice using nothing but jacketed. Get a guy broke in no time. :)

So what model do you use? Haven't made up my mind yet but leaning to the full size G17 due mostly to having large hands, altho concealed carry might be in the near future..

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 23 June 2013

I shot nothing but cast in my Glock 21 .45. It did lead but I stayed on top of it so the barrel didn't split and wreck my gun or my hand. I shot 200g semi's over 4g of AA2. The lube was home made of God knows what and the alloy was two parts wheel weights with one part lino-type. The accuracy was more than acceptable. For myself I'd have another .45 Glock but the higher pressure rounds would make me nervous. They built a bunch in 10mm so who knows?

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 23 June 2013

Hi Pete, I have gone the Lone Wolf route myself with my 27 for using cast after spending heeps of time searching the answer I wanted on the topic of cast in a Glocks. To make long story short, IMHO the hundred bucks spent on a LW barrel is cheep compared to any potential damage, repairs or having to keep on top of any leading issues. Drop the LW in and fire away without any additional hassle or worry.
Michael

Attached Files

PETE posted this 24 June 2013

Delmar & Michael,

You guys are going to have to enlighten me since I've never heard of any pistol having a barrel ruined because it Leaded up. Of course you have to keep on top of any Leading because accuracy goes to pot if you don't, but I never heard of a barrel splitting because it might have to much Lead in it. Also nothing says an after market barrel won't Lead up too.

Pete

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 24 June 2013

Hi Pete,

Excellent point. I have not done any comprehensive testing to determine the extent and rate of leading in my factory Glock or other OEM barrel using a similar rifling type. My range and casting time is limited and I would rather spend it on something a much more fun to shoot and capable of a higher level of accuracy than a carry gun with a barrel not much longer than my middle finger. My LW barrel is used for cast/lead and the OEM barrel I fed only factory ammo when carrying. My input is based the scores of other posts both here on at CBA, Cast Boolits and other sites that I read over, drawing on the experience (or lack there of) and range time of others.

In summarizing what I came up with regarding the different opinions on the subject, 3 main things seemed to stand out over the coarse of the research.
1. No unusual problems were reported with after market barrels with conventional rifling when shooting cast and leading did sometimes occur.
2. The rifling type used in Glock and similar OEM barrels had a general tendency to lead up with use to varying degrees in regard to caliber, shots fired, alloy type/bullet hardness, etc., due to the rounded shape and configuration of the rifling. Leading cropped up sometimes with less than a box, other times well into the hundreds.
3. There was not any hard fast advise or recommendations that no problems would arise by using cast in a factory Glock or similar OEM barrel. Those shooters who chose to do so accepted the extra vigilance in keeping on top of any leading and/or accepted any potential ill side effects of doing so. To be honest, several hundred rounds of cast were put through mine without a hitch. However I eventually decided my piece of mind was worth more and opted for the LW barrel.

In regards to the old SS rifles, their mainstay was a steady diet of paper patch bullets which do have a more abrasive action than lead alone. Coupled with burning BP and likely less than optimal barrel care over time the lands and grooves made the transition into dips and rises. I once had an 43 Egyptian rolling block with “Glock” rifling.

In the end each of us makes the choice for what we feel the most comfortable with based upon our own individual research. I doubt anyone here expects another to take their advice at face value, especially mine. More than likely you have begun to read through other posts here on the subject, along with other sites that you trust. Have fun sifting the fly turds from the pepper.

All the best. Michael.

Attached Files

specops posted this 24 June 2013

Large caliber Glocks seem to be less of a problem with cast boolits than the smaller sizes. Having said that it seems to be a matter of bearing area and size (nothing really new). I've had good luck with Lee 230gr. TL SWCS . Cast from straight WWs and dropped into water, lubed with generic white lube and loaded over 6.5 hrs. of Unique. Can't tell much difference between these and the Federal 230 gr Hydroshocks I carry in my Model 36 and it's my standard load for the Model 21. I have an old 358477 that casts 150 gr slugs (compared to the current 158gr ones). Those work better in my Model 19 that normal 9mm sizes (longer bearing surface). You will have to experiment with diameters to find which one's will chamber best. Mine likes .359s. I use load data for 147 gr. loads up to +P so far without problems though most times I use subsonic. I have a Lone Wolf threaded barrel as well and while it is marginally more accurate I have always questioned if it was worth the expense based solely on accuracy. Lube build-up in the chamber isn't any worse than my 1911s, just need to keep them clean.

Attached Files

James S posted this 24 June 2013

Pete, I replaced a barrel in a Glock 20,10mm. The OEM barrel was causing bulged cases with factory FMJ rounds. I also wanted to shoot reloads in the gun too. I used the Wolf replacement barrel for my Glock 20 and found that it would not feed reliably. After fitting the barrel to the ramp and chamfering the edge of the chamber, as you would a GI 1911, it took with no problems anything I fed it. You shouldn't have any trouble using a Glock. Just make sure the barrel is fitted correctly by a good gunsmith. And enjoy!

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 24 June 2013

James S

Good call, I use a Lee factory crimp die when I load for my Wolf barrel. That solved all my problems, reloading for the Glock barrel I can use Dillon dies as is,

Duane

Attached Files

James S posted this 24 June 2013

Good point Duane, Lee Factory crimp dies give a very uniform crimp. There's a lot of banging around inside a pistol magazine! Something not everyone wants in a BR but necessary in a semi auto pistol!

Attached Files

Specops,

Another question answered. I was wondering about bullet diam. I see you use .359. My standard 9mm bullet drops from the mold at .360 so should work. Will push a slug thru to see what's needed. Looking at the 9mm in case I haven't mentioned it.

James S.

According to Wolfe web site their barrels for the Block are supposed to just drop in with no fitting required.

Duane,

Good to know about being able to use the Dillon dies. They are what I've got.

Pete

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 June 2013

while you are at the gun store, check out a springfield dsm ... ooops, i just noticed you didn't ask me ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken,

I didn't make my message specific to any one person. I'm hoping to get replies for anyone that can provide me with good info. I'll be at the DSM show this weekend as that seems to be the only place where you can see just about every model and caliber Glock makes.

I've had friends tell me I'm crazy and ought to look at getting a S&W M&P. Cant argue with that, but I'm interested in the why the Glock doesn't seem to shoot cast bullets well.

Pete

Attached Files

James S posted this 25 June 2013

Well Pete don't have anything to say about what they are supposed to do. lol All I know is it wouldn't feed with the LW barrel, “as is". The chamber edge and ramp was definitely hanging rounds up. Although my experience with Glocks is limited, I've not seen any barrel just drop in with no “fitting". So be warned. James.

Attached Files

specops posted this 25 June 2013

Pete, It's hard to get a good measurement on a poly barrel by slugging it. Glocks have somewhat “generous” chambers normally but best results still come from experimentation. Here's my results from my Model 19. Range was approximately 20 yards over sandbags. .356 - wouldn't stay on a B-27 target .357 - 12 out of 15 rounds hit the target, no group .358 - 6''-8'' groups stringing vertically .359 - 2"-3” groups centered .360 - 6” groups with random dispersion.

Doesn't seem to be much difference between subsonic and +P load accuracy or lack thereof. I did have 1 badly budged case with a +P load and the .360 slug. I'm assuming it was that gray area between FTF and fully seated. The round before and the round after didn't show a problem. I did get some light lead streaking at the muzzle with the .356 through .358 loads. I have a 358156HP that drops .359 and weights 148gr. with GC in place. Been wanting to try it but haven't had the time yet. No sure how the GC will react to bullet deformation by the rifling. Another project and another excuse to go shooting.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 25 June 2013

Specops,

Thanks! Good stuff. Just what I'm looking for.

I have a .356 ( actually .357) & .359 sizing dies so can give some of your ideas a try. Might give an idea of how to proceed. Getting sizing dies are hard to find these days just like most other reloading supplies so I'm hoping what I have will work. The bullet I'm using in the current 9 mm is the RCBS-9mm-124(130)gr. - RN. As I mentioned it casts out at .360 so will be able to use that. In an RIA 1911-A1 it shoots like the best results your getting.

Seems from what you, and everyone is saying I might have to go to an after market barrel. But your 2"-3” groups should be sufficient if I can get the same results.

What powders have you tried?

Pete

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 25 June 2013

Pete

For use with a 124 grain cast I use the following:

Red Dot - 4.0 Grains

Accurate #5 - 5.6 Grains

Use at your own descretion

Duane

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 June 2013

Thanks Duane. Have both powders so will be a good place to start.

Pete

Attached Files

specops posted this 26 June 2013

Pete,

I've used Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique, 3.5-4.0 grs for starters. I like Red Dot and Unique better just because they bulk up in the case more and makes it easier to check loadings. Any powder in the same burn rate range as those should work as well. IF I ever find the right combination of bullet, powder and charge weight I'll set it up in one of my Pro1000 progressives and see how it does in bulk loading. As far as sizing dies are concerned, if you are not lubing the bullet try Lee dies. They are cheaper than the rest, you don't have to worry about having a stem to match the nose shape and they are easier to hone to a custom size if needed plus I think they seat GCs better if you are using those.
Best of Luck

Attached Files

PETE posted this 27 June 2013

Specops,

Got your powders to so will have a full plate to try out in a few days. Checking the mold inventory I see I've got a full wad cutter mold. Wonder how that would work out ?

Pete

Attached Files

specops posted this 28 June 2013

Suspect it may not work at all. Most autoloaders don't do well with wadcutter profiles. They either bounce up and jam against the inside of the chamber or go straight up and stovepipe. You might try adjusting the OAL to see if you can get the Glock to feed correctly. The longer nosed SWCs and TCs do much better. One of the things on my list this year is to try the 358429 in plain and HP versions as a subsonic or whisper configuration. May be time to break out the UZI again.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 28 June 2013

Specops,

I suspect your right about full wad-cutters shooting in any semi-auto. It would have to be set up just for that and probably wouldn't shoot anything else. The RCBS mold I have is just as accurate as the wad-cutter so not much sense getting excited about it unless there's nothing else to play with.

Will keep you posted as I go along.

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 29 June 2013

If your gun will feed a fired case it may feed a wad cutter. Who knows till we try? My lever gun .357 feeds wad-cutters as long as I seat them out until they look stupid.

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 29 June 2013

Pete

Just to confuse the “what should I buy” issue.

I have a Glock G23  with the original 40 S&W barrel and the following Wolf barrels that I use when the I get a crazy ich.

9X19 use it with a G19 or G17 9mm magazines 40 S&W for lead reloads with G23 or G22 magazines 357 Sig with the G23 or G22 Magazines. I use the the original G23 40 S&W slide and recoil spring with any of the above calibers. Just check Wolf's FEQ site where they explain the use of their 9 mm conversion barrel.

I still use the original Glock S&W barrel when I concealed carry the G23.

Duane

Attached Files

PETE posted this 29 June 2013

Delmarskid,

Thought a bout sticking the wad-cutter out till it fed. Your right. It'll look kind of stupid. But that'll be something to try in the future.

Duane,

From the description it would appear that the Glock platform can be turned into just about anything you want......... If you've got the money. :)

My Glock G34 (competition model) is waiting for me at the gun show. Dealer called me up last nite and said it'll be waiting for me when I get there. My first choice was the G34 but figured that since the dealer has been trying to get it for a month or better I wasn't holding out a lot of hope of seeing one at the show altho Glocks are almost a drug on the market around here.

Pete

Attached Files

PETE posted this 30 June 2013

Picked up the Glock 34 yesterday. The only difference from a 17 is it has an inch longer barrel and comes with two magazines.

Slugged the bore and since it has 6 lands and grooves was easy to mike. Came out .3551. Since I've got a few of those RCBS bullets I mentioned earlier for the RIA 1911A1 sized to .356 I figured to start with those. The RIA likes 3.3 grs. of Bullseye so loaded up 5 rds. each of 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 & 3.5 grs. See how that goes tomorrow morning. If there's any Leading it should show up.

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 June 2013

If you have lands and grooves you should be fine. The reason mine used to lead was that it had polygonal rifling. That makes lots of room at the corners for blow by.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 01 July 2013

Delmar,

The lands and grooves don't look like what we're familiar with but they are close enuf to measure like we normally would. Possibly the competition model uses a variation of the Polygonal rifling altho the web site says it has Polygonal rifling. Would have to look at a “standard” model to see what, if any, differences there might be.

Pete

Attached Files

PETE posted this 01 July 2013

Took the Glock 34 to the 50 ft. indoor range today. Thot I'd run into some Leading considering the bullet was only about .0005 over bore diam., and some of the comments on here. No Leading what-so-ever. Groups weren't the best and hopefully the bullet diam. was the cause. Every group had at least one flyer, sometimes two. Here's what I came up with. Powder is Bullseye and the bullet is the RCBS mentioned in earlier threads. Two handed hold off the bench. Going on the assumption that the bullet needs to be larger in dia., Wednesday I'll run the same test with the bullet sized .3575. If I still get the flyers I've got a .359 sizing die to try. After that I'll have to go with a different powder and the bullet size that seems to be the est. Pete

charge              group
------------------------------------------
3.0 grs.             1 5/8"
3.1 grs.             1 13/16"
3.2 grs.             2 11/16"
3.3 grs.             3 1/4"
3.4 grs.             3 1/2"
3.5 grs.             1 15/16"

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 02 July 2013

Let's not forget that you have a new gun. They usually get better as they wear in.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 02 July 2013

Delmar,

Very true. The instructions say the firing pin should rattle in it's channel, except when new. It didn't when I got it but does now. :)

Looking over the targets again I noticed the groups were starting to tighten up again at 3.5 grs. So along with going to a larger bullet I'll up the powder charge to 3.6 grs. and skip the 3.1 gr charge. The 3.1 charge left the cases pretty sooty which indicates the cases weren't expanding enuf altho the group wasn't bad.

This what I like to do. Get a new gun and work the bugs out. The main reason I got the Glock. Everyone was saying Glocks don't shoot cast bullets. Even the latest Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook says Glocks, due to the bore profile might not shoot cast well. That's like waving a red cape in front of a bull to me. In the end it might be true but I'll have the fun of finding out why.

Pete

Attached Files

PETE posted this 03 July 2013

Shooting today was a bust. Thot a larger diam. bullet might do the trick. No such luck. Still no Leading which is good news. Here's the test results. Everything the same as the last test other than the bullet diam. grs.                 Tomorrow will  go back to the smaller diam. bullet and start upping the powder charge starting at 3.5 grs. of B.E. Pete  

Powder chrg.       Group
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.1 grs                  6 1/4"
3.2 grs.                 5 1/8"
3.3 grs.                 2"  four shots 5th shot completely off target
3.4 grs.                 4 1/16"
3.5 grs.                 3 3/16"
3.6 grs.                 3 1/2"

Attached Files

PETE posted this 05 July 2013

Not much to say about yesterdays test. Everything went smoothly with no Leading after 30 rds., and good accuracy for a stock gun.

3.5 grs. of Alliant Bullseye was the best load.

Shot 10 rds. at 50 ft. and 10 rds. at 21 ft. off the bench this morning to get the Laser sighted in. After sighting in the gun it held inside the 10 ring of the 50 ft. NRA bullseye target at 50 ft., and virtually into one hole at 21 ft. about 1/2” high at 11 o'clock. Won't clean the gun till after practice tomorrow morning which should put about a 100 rds. thru it.

Pete

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 05 July 2013

Pete

Congrats on the new Glock.

One thing about a Glock you can buy every part from Glock. I know at one time they would even replace a frame.

Take a look at MIC holsters. Neat idea for those who carry. I even have one tied of in my range bag.

Duane

Attached Files

PETE posted this 05 July 2013

Thanks Duane. Have to admit that MIC holster is quite an ingenious item, altho a little pricey. Looking for a concealed carry holster altho the clothing shown in the video wouldn't be acceptable where I'll be using it. Would be something to consider for carrying a loaded and cocked gun off your person.

Looked at a couple of the videos. Entertaining!

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 06 July 2013

I'm glad it's working out for you. Mine didn't lead much. I could put 100 through mine before I found much to notice.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 06 July 2013

Delmar,

Shot off 90 rds. today, plus the 20 yesterday. The gun actually looked cleaner than when I was working up a load. Bullseye is kind of dirty and tends to powder foul at the case, throat junction. Now that I've got my load for it it shot pretty clean, and, no Leading. Next, shoot a few hundred rds. thru it and then see what it looks like. Also want to try out Red Dot. That's worked well in some other guns I own. I like to have at least two powders that shoot well in a gun, just in case we have another shortage.

Pete

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 06 July 2013

I really wonder if that stuff about barrels splitting from leading isn't just that? Has anyone seen any pictures or been there to see it? I suppose that if significant leading began it could compound in a hurry. We know what that is like. A friend of mine has a 17 that he's not really in love with. I might trade him out of it and give it to my wife.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 07 July 2013

Delmar,

Does seem rather strange that Glock barrels would split. Maybe Glock makes their barrels out pot metal rather than 400 series stainless steel..

But you never know. That's why all gun makers say in their manuals that their warranties are void if you use anything but factory ammo. If your old enuf you'll recall back in the 40's & 50's the “experts” all said you'd be taking your life in your hands if you hand loaded ammo.

A friend of mine who's one oof the most careful hand loaders I know managed to blow a chamber in a Colt revolver. So. Were those blown out Glocks a result of a Lead build up or a double charge?

Poor accuracy in the Glock, or any gun, can easily be attributed to those who shoot jacketed bullets and then switch over to cast bullets without cleaning the copper out.

Pete

Attached Files

Paultheshooter posted this 28 August 2013

Having owned Glocks in .40, 10mm and .45 (my fav) I can say leading was never a problem. I did not try for super loads just to make power factor with a safe margin. But saying that they were all coated factory projies. The only one that gave trouble was a Desert eagle in .44. Just went from a 240grn to 260grn plain cast to fix the stability and leading.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 29 August 2013

Paultheshooter,

I guess Glocks thinking of why they felt they had to use polygonal rifling in the first place escapes me. I'd like to hear their reasoning.

Of course the after market companies love it as they'll be more than happy to sell you a barrel that will shoot Lead and jacketed bullets if you feel uncomfortable with Glocks warning about not shooting Lead in their guns.

Pete

Attached Files

Little Debbie posted this 01 September 2013

Higher velocity, and, easier to clean are two advantages. The M17 Glock was revolutionary, The first real advance in pistols since the M1911. I've shot standard velocity cast in 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W , and .45 ACP. You'd be amazed what about 5 grains of 231 or HP 38 and a 200 gr SWC will do accuracy wise in the .45 ACP. Otherwise they are not target pistols, but they are great service pistols. I haven't cleaned my M17 9mm for a year or so shooting Lyman 356402 and the old H&G #7 with Bullseye. A couple times a week. I will when that polygon bore fills with lead. :-) When it does a couple strokes with a brush and a dry patch will do the job. It's also the only pistol I am comfortable shooting a steady diet of +P+ ammunition. Conventionally rifled barrels are a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to exist. I will admit they have no soul, but they are as reliable and as durable as a hammer.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 01 September 2013

Littledebbie,

I'll go along with the ease of stripping a Glock down for cleaning. And tour right about them not being target guns. Never seen such a bad trigger in a gun sinc e I shot C.W. muskets and Trapdoors where you almost needed two fi gets to touch them off.

The only reason I even bought a Glock was to prove to myself the truth of the so-called dangers of shooting Lead in one.

I might take some exception to your statement that problems don't arise when shooting Lead and then switching over to jacketed without proper cleaning. I'm going to have to look into the situation further but one of the local Sheriffs Reserve men was telling me that Glock had to come in and replace 10 of their barrels. Why would be a good question as the Sheriff personally told me he only shoots jacketed. But the deputies and reserve guys do a lot of competitive shooting so I need to check this out a little more.

All I can say with certainty is that I have had no problems. But then you can be sure there is no trace of Lead in the barrel when I switch over. I also don't plan on finding out what would happen shooting jacketed in a thoroughly Lead fouled barrel.

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 02 September 2013

Pete

Your question as to why did Glock use polygon rifling in the first place.

Polygon rifling was specified in the original bid by the Austrian Military.

Duane

Attached Files

PETE posted this 02 September 2013

Duane,

Then I guess the question is why would the Austrian military want to specify polygon rifling? It's a form of rifling that goes back to muzzle loading days. Nothing special about it that I've ever read.

Pete

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 02 September 2013

Pete

This is my opinion only, The Austrians had their heart set on H&K and by restricting it to polygon they may have thought to close out other bids.

The real advantage to polygon rifling is it is cheaper, faster and tooling lasts longer then with conventional rifling, that is according to the H&K rep who was a member of our local range a few years ago. This may well have changed since then.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 02 September 2013

Duane,

I've read your comments on how it's cheaper to make a polygon barrel. I would have thought that by saying you shouldn't shoot Lead in Glock would have pretty well have done away with the “civilian” market. Does'nt seem to be the case tho. They sure opened up the after market for barrel makers for people who were afraid of possible consequences.

I thot when I bought their competition model that it would have a decent trigger. That sure turned out to be a disappointment. I suppose a gunsmith could work on that a bit and get something halfway decent. I'd think by the time you got done tuning it up you could have a decent target gun.

Pete

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 05 September 2013

Pete

I wish the good Italian Doc would add to this, as I believe he has shot a lot of lead through a Glock or two.

I would like to suggest you look into a book called “The Complete Glock Reference Guide” by PTOOMA Productions (http://www.ptooma.com).>http://www.ptooma.com). There is in addition to lots of info on tools, trouble shooting, how to disassemble, a great guide to doing a trigger job. I followed the book and I was able to preform my own trigger work. This is from a guy that is about as handy with tools as a bear cub with boxing gloves.

Duane

Attached Files

PETE posted this 05 September 2013

Thanks Duane. Will check that web site out. My gun is accurate enuf. But could sure use a trigger job.

Pete

Attached Files

bill_clancy posted this 17 October 2013

Google “Glock kaboom” and you'll see lots of photos and discussions. It seems to boil down to lead reloads in factory barrels, mostly .40 cal, but there are exceptions to all three caveats I listed. I shoot lead, but in an aftermarket barrel...thousands of rounds with no trouble at all.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 17 October 2013

Oops a duplicate post.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 17 October 2013

The Glock pistol is a tool, like a shovel, saw or tow chain, none of which are objects of admiration or joy. They are ugly things designed to do a specific job.

I have never fired a reloaded round though a Glock pistol and have no intention of doing so. I have no particular fondness for the Glock pistol, None-the-less, I have a Glock 17 and a Glock 19 and one of them is on my belt or within easy reach 24/7/365. There is one, no more than a foot, from my strong hand as I key these words.

My house is a little less than three miles from the Rio Grande River as the crow flies and within a few blocks of me live the families of Mexican Cartels members, and the rich Mexican families who have fled from Mexico to avoid being plundered by the Cartels.

I take personal defense weapons very seriously and that is the reason I have Glocks and a sizable stack of loaded magazines.

But, I do not reload for the Glock. I find the discussion about cast bullets in Glock barrels to be very academic. I know that is not true for many folks, but it is for me.

I really don't know why I posted this, for it contributes nothing to the topic and tells no one anything they don't already know. I suppose because I am always looking over my shoulder and all around, seeing the mere word Glock in prints gets my attention.

Gun dealers down here on the Border sell every Glock they can get their hands on and sell them very quickly. It is far and away, the handgun of choice, by good and bad alike down here on the troubled Border.

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 18 October 2013

Recently I heard that some folks that hold the Glock too gingerly cause the pistol to malfunction.

Charlie

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 October 2013

If I was in Chargars shoes I think I'd feel the same way about Glocks but I would consider them my secondary weapon. The Cartel? That's FAL time.

Attached Files

Close