44 S&W Spec./ .44 Mag.

• 7.1K Views
  • Last Post 01 April 2013
PETE posted this 22 March 2013

I have a chance to get a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .44 Special.

Here's the problem as we all know. Can't get dies or brass from anyone.

Looking over my inventory I have an older Bonanza die set that's marked .44 S&W Special / .44 Mag. Also have a small quantity of .44 Mag. brass. I ASSUME I can use the Mag. brass in the .44 Special. Maybe trim it a bit or whatever.

Any opinions as to whether I can do this or not?

Pete

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Chargar posted this 22 March 2013

Your des will work and you can trim the magnum cases to special length and they will work as well.

The magnum case is nothing more than the special case made 0.100 longer. That is the amount you will need to trim off.

Happy trimming!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 March 2013

.44 Mag. is 1.285 .44 Spl. is 1.160

Difference = .125

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Thanks Chargar. Was hoping that was the case. I'll see if I can rough trim the cases in the lathe and then finish them up in the hand trimmer.

Also have a small batch of Lyman 42798 bullets that I use in my .44/40 SAA. Might be a little small at .428-.429 (Lino). If the luck continues I'll have another slightly bigger mold in stock.

Anyone have any loads that work well for them? This is a new caliber for me, but one I've always wanted to try out.

Pete

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 March 2013

In my Ruger I shoot Saeco #430 or #441 cast 10 BHN with 5 grains of Bullseye..

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 22 March 2013

Load that works for me is a variation of one of Skeeter Skeltons. 6.5 to 7.5gr Unique under 429421. Adjust powder amount to shoot to point of aim. Four different S&W's agree. Hard to go wrong with a .44 Spl. I have shot both the new Rugers. Standard and Bisley. Standard is prettier but the Bisley feels so much better. Been playing with the 245gr round nose too but nothing really staggering yet. Just got some Trail Boss powder so we will see how that works. :fire:

Ed, you look so dignified holding your Garand (the type rifle MEN shoot)and sporting your shooting coat. Even though I do not shoot compitition any more may I copy your lead and post my pic like yours? Damn I miss it so. But a creeking body makes me at best an RO now. :kilroy:

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 22 March 2013

Cabelas has Rem. 44 special brass in stock now at $30.99/100

RD

Attached Files

That is what I get when I rely on 50 year old memory.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 March 2013

pete .. i think i have a few 44 mag brass somewhere ...email me if interested ... trade? i need 45-70 y 30-06 brass ... other ?

add:  i think i have some 427 8 9 molds also ... have to find them ... lets see ...

ken [email protected]

Attached Files

Made the trade for the New Model Blackhawk 44 Special this afternoon and been busy setting up the lathe and drill press to convert some 44 Mag. cases over.

Ed,

Will have to wait awhile to get those SAECO molds you mention. Little pricey for my blood at this time. Checked the cylinder fit of the bullet I have and needs just a little effort to push them thru.

RD,

Thanks for the tip that Cabelas has 44 Special brass in stock. 200 on the way.

Ken,

Have a 100 44 Mag. cases so will only have to convert a few to tide me over. Thanks for the offer tho.

Pete

Attached Files

You will enjoy your 44 Special. I have owned a dozen or more over the years and here is the only one I have managed to hang on to. A 1933 Smith and Wesson Hand Ejector that has been over the bench at Mico Sight. It has their sights, checkered trigger and hammer, plus a nicely checkered backstrap. A very nice shooting revolver.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 23 March 2013

:coffee     I've been shooting 7.4 grains of Unique behind a Lee 44 200 grain RF, the mold was originally for 44-40.   Jerry at Carolina Cast Bullets got me started on these so, I ended up with a mold! 

The Blackhawk has almost perfect specs for this, at least, as much as I can tell.  I've shot it to 15 yards and then, out to 50 meters.  Managed to nail a couple of 3” round steel targets once I got accustomed to the sights.

I love mine, it's the one gun you couldn't ever talk me out of.

Good Luck,

Ron

Attached Files

PETE posted this 23 March 2013

Chargar & Hunters pistol,

As you say, I'm really going to enjoy this and the suggestions of powder and charges to use will give me a good place to start.

Been waiting many years to get this 44 Special but the people around here never get rid of them and it seems I'm always a day late when I hear of one for sale. Not this time tho. :)

Thanks to all you helped.

Pete

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 23 March 2013

Pete...I don't run the above Smith and Wesson with hot loads. I stick to the factory (800 fps) specs and use Bulleye powder.

I have in the past used the old Skelton/Keith load of 7.5/Unique over a Keith SWC bullet with good results, in other handguns.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 March 2013

Chargar wrote: That is what I get when I rely on 50 year old memory.

Don't feel bad, I had to look it up 8-)

Attached Files

Chargar,

Plan on first getting up a target load for an indoor revolver league we have every Winter Not sure if the bullet I've will do the trick. Cast some up out of eggs scrap and they should just make it. They don't drop thru but the don't take a lot of pressure to do so. Cast of Lino will work OK. Might be. Little to tight.

So. I figure to start low with the range scrap bullets and work up looking for signs of Leading. If range scrap doesn't work well then I'll try Lino. Then I'll work up something for outdoors 25 & 50 yds.

Pete

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 23 March 2013

Pete...To each their own, but I have never been happy with linotype unless pushed as full snort magnum velocities.

Back about 1965, I was living not to far from a refinery that produced lintotype and could be bought quite cheap from them. I thought harder was better in those days. I cast some 38 Special wadcutters from this metal and ended up with the worse headed cylinder throats I had ever seen and lino leading is very hard to clean out.

That was an ah-ha moment for me...and a lesson learned and not to be repeated. Since those days, I use softer alloys for lower loads and expand the case mouths to about exact bullet diameter or .001 under size so I won't damage the bullets in seating. If you can't turn the bullet in the case neck by hand, it is tight enough and a decent crimp will be all that is needed.

I do lots of things in ways not currently in vogue these days, but I do what has proven to work for me.

Attached Files

Chargar,

Your last sentence says it all. If it works for you then don't worry what all the experts say.

My only use of Lino was in the only mold I have it casts a bullet that I feel is the best fit in the cylinder throats. The range lead bullets MIGHT be right on the edge of a good fit. I like the range Lead because I've got a 1000 pds. of it. :) It brinells out at 11-12 and I use it for all my handgun shooting with no Leading.

I've never had a problem with Lino either but my supply is running short so I only use or for specific applications. Full snort as you say. :)

Pete

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 March 2013

PETE wrote: Your last sentence says it all. If it works for you then don't worry what all the experts say.

Truer words have never been spoken

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 24 March 2013

:coffee    Pete,

I haven't tried anything harder than ordinary wheelweight for lead.   As far as I can tell, it isn't necessary.   The specs on the NM Blackhawk in 44 special are pretty good right out of the box.  Since they had the Lipsey's run a few years back, I believe Ruger has their factory specs dialed in very nice. 

I never picked up a box of factory to shoot in mine, had all the stuff to make 44 Spl when it came in.   I've been really surprised at how well mine shoots and how easy it was to come by loads.  I read somewhere that the original Skeeter Shelton law enforcement loads had a range of 7.0 to 8.0 grains of Unique.   7.0 grains shoots soft but, with a some gusto.  It's still a very big, horsey (as in workhorse stout) 44.  No denying the 44 Spl is a good caliber in lead bullets.

I have a 41 magnum that gives me more fits than the 44.  It's the luckiest I've ever been!

Ron                                         :dance

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 March 2013

Factory 246-grain LRN, old Remington stuff from 1960s, gave 747 fps, with Sd of 21 fps, avg. of five 6-shot groups at 25 yards 2” from S&W 3rd Model HE with 5” barrel that I used to have and sold some years ago.

5 grains of Bullseye with Saeco #430 cast 11 BHN in .44 Spl., same revolver gave 710 fps, 20 Sd and also 2” groups at 25 yards.

Using same load in .44 Mag. Ruger RBH drops velcity to 690 fps and Sd increased to 36, but grouping OK 2” at 50 ft., opens to 2-1/2” at 25 yds., strung vertically 6” at 50 yds.

Best in the RBH was to load #441 or #430, both shoot well, as-cast and unsized at .433” in .44 Magnum brass, increase charge to 7.2 Bullseye for 1017 fps, 11Sd, 1-1/2” groups at 25 yards over long series. Beats anything I ever tried in the .44 Special 3rd Model Hand Ejector, and why I sold that revolver to a collector. Same .44 Mag. load gives 1233 fps, Sd10 and averages 3 inch groups at 100 yards over a long series from my scoped H&R Handi Rifle using soft scrap aloy. What's not to like?

.44 Special ammo from Handi Rifle is less accurate, but acceptable, see photo below, is typical.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close