LBT Blue

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 05 May 2013
rmrix posted this 16 March 2013

I have been happy with LBT through a full range of CB usages but never Black Powder.  I would be interested to hear about the kool-aid which indicates some fiction on LBT's part.  But, please, give it to me in you own words. Michael Rix

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2451>anachronism wrote: I've had good success with Carnuba Red. I'm using LBT Blue right now because I drank the blue kool-aid, but if it wears off, I wouldn't hesitate to use Lars products. And, as mentioned, you simply can't beat the prices. The last I knew, he also offered a replacement for Tumble lube if you want to keep mixing your own.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 17 March 2013

Okay, I'm baffled. Where did black powder come into the picture? IIRC, LBT specifically recommends against the use of their lubes with black powder.

By “blue kool-aid", I of course meant that I trust Verals word, and his products. He may seem a little over the top at times, especially to people who are much younger than he, but I've never found an outright error or misrepresentation in any information I've received from him. I trusted him early on, and continue to do so.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 17 March 2013

Please don't be baffled. I meant it as straight forward as it was written. I have been happy with LBT through a full range of CB usages but never Black Powder. That is, I have had good outcomes in all smokeless applications I have used it in and never tried it in BPCR and never would.  It is the wrong stuff.

But on to the point:

You have not answered my question. 'Drinking the kool-aid' is a metaphor for Jim Jones lies told to his true believers,  -with catastrophic outcome.

In saying:   I'm using LBT Blue right now because I drank the blue kool-aid, but if it wears off, I wouldn't hesitate to use Lars products. It implies you found the LBT Blue lube to be less than claimed. I am hoping you will share what you think.

I'm not sure I think LBT Blue is the best lube ever, but it is good and I value others input if their are sincere.  I am not looking for a fight, I am looking to learn something.

Respectfully, Michael Rix

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 17 March 2013

I use LBT Blue and like it. Don't use too much or thin it with a little trans fluid for cold weather and it'll do anything any other lube will do and in a lot of cases do it better. I also haven't found anything comparable to use for high velocity.

What I get a kick out of is people complaining about the cost of it but then spending God knows how much on supplies TRYING to make something as good. If you buy a 10 pack it comes to $4.30 a stick delivered. Use just enough on the bullet to get the job done and a stick will last you a loooooong time. In the grand scheme of things needed to shoot a cast bullet $4.30 for a stick of lube is chump change.

I've tried Lars, Voodoo, MTL, Blue Angel, Grays, and I can't remember what else and always come back to LBT because it works for me.

Attached Files

I've been hanging out with the younger crowd too long I guess. That's where I picked the phrase up from. “Drinking the kool-aid", is also an expression of absolute trust or perhaps even devotion to a given philosophy. I most often hear it used by Dillon reloading purchasers too, of which I'm also one of. No, I won't die for either LBT, or Dillon.Hyperbole aside,I have simply found products I trust, and a supplier that I will go to first, when a need arises.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 17 March 2013

I've seen the term “Drinking The Koolaid” most times used in a political context and it wasn't meant to be a compliment. Bottom line though is use what you like and the hell with Koolaid. I never liked it anyway.

Now if someone starts using “Drinking The Bud Lite” as a disparaging phrase they'll have a fight on their hands.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 17 March 2013

I guess I've sipped the blue kool-aid myself. A stick of LBT lasts me about 1K bullets.

Attached Files

Mexican Coca-Cola for me! Notice I was careful to write out the whole name, not just “Coke"?

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 18 March 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2451>anachronism, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I get it now.

Pat i. You mention Gray lube.   I have used Gray 24 years ago and liked it enough to buy 30 sticks and for unrelated reasons stopped shooting my 30 ARD BR rifle. I still have the unused lube. I did learn a common lesson, with both LBT and the Gray 24, a little goes a long way. Too much degrades accuracy.

Currently on another thread a conversation is going on about what lube makes an accurate load accurate, while not leading,  nor gas cutting the bullet and again the debate goes on, just what the answer is to the age old question: what the heck does lube really do.

I haven't a clue. I use the scientific (sledgehammer) method to chose lube. That is, testing and retesting. The same way a computer can win at chess - exhaust all the possibilities. OK, back to my loading room. Michael Rix  

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 24 March 2013

Mike I just saw this and as far as I'm concerned lube lubes. Hence the name.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 25 March 2013

Pat,

Sure. OK. Maybe....

But why then did Pope think that sticky ol' rosin might be good thing?  (it's a rhetorical question):D

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 March 2013

Pope was an MIT graduate. Until it is proven as useful for A or B, it is an unknown.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
rmrix posted this 25 March 2013

RicinYakima wrote: Pope was an MIT graduate. Until it is proven as useful for A or B, it is an unknown. I admit I have never tried it so far. Can't prove anything either way. Just interesting.

I think much of my lube experiment days are behind me.

If there was more time and less snow in my life it would be fun to try more “stuff". Some day.

Attached Files

preachinpilot posted this 05 May 2013

New to the world of commercial casting I am a devout user and follower of LBT. Been shooting Cast Performance bullets for years and dont shoot anything else but LBT. The lube in question seems to be good and it is less costly to find a good lube and stick to it than to experiment. One lube for sale is all synthetic and costs much more. My only complaint with Verel is that he has not considered leaving the recipe in his will to be disclosed upon leaving for the eternal hunting grounds. I told him he cant leave us without should I outlast him. LOL. He said he was only 72. Nuff said.

Attached Files

Close