Adding color to bullet lube ???

• 6.7K Views
  • Last Post 02 June 2013
10 Spot Terminator posted this 10 March 2013

OK so I just made up a bunch of the 411 lube and now see why it has the nickname ” Pinko Commie Fag Lube". It is a beige/pinkish color and is pretty much in the Fugly zone as lubes go. Anyway it turned out a bit soft to my liking so I am going to remelt it and add a touch of Carnuba and possibly a touch more bees wax. While I am at it can I use some red crayons or any type of red additive to change it up a bit ??? What do they use to color candles ? You may say ” Who cares,,, once they're loaded you cant see what color they are anyway “. Some of my bullets load with one or more lube grooves exsposed and my OCD by nature starts to kick in not wanting to see any Fugly bullets. Got any ideas for me ???

10 Spot

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 10 March 2013

The craft stores offer dyes for coloring candles. It appears that you can get dyes in liquid or solid form, so you You could find it on line by searching for candle making supplies:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/candle-making/candle-dyes/

BTW, my personal OCD has progressed to the point where it's now called CDO. It means the same thing, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they're supposed to be.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 10 March 2013

CDO, I like that!

thanks for the laughs guys,

James

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 10 March 2013

CDO ????

Now yer playin on my Lysdexia too ???

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 13 March 2013

Yaley brand Solid candle dye from one of the big name craft stores is what I use. I never had great luck with the liquids. Make for sure that you steer clear of the flourescent colors in any candle dye however....they just settle to the bottom of your lube brick/stick. I would imagine that you will only be successful making red, brown, or fuscia/purple using Juniors lube recipe though. If you make them really really RED they might go faster too.

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 18 March 2013

Thanks 357Maximum. I will check with the Micheals in the next town over and see what they might have. Yeah. I was leaning toward the Red idea myself. Anything but that pink color . My Testosterone cant handle it.

10 Spot

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 March 2013

10 Spot Terminator wrote: Thanks 357Maximum. I will check with the Micheals in the next town over and see what they might have. Yeah. I was leaning toward the Red idea myself. Anything but that pink color . My Testosterone cant handle it.

10 Spot

Testosterone? I think my supply ran out about five years ago!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 24 March 2013

I got desperate one time and tried cheap crayons for dye.  When the lube cake cooled all the “dye” had settled to the bottom 1/4 inch of the cake and felt chalky...my one and onlys stint with crayons for dye.  Apparently some crayons are made with CLAY.....I can only imagine what clay does with 30-50 thousand psi on it in the barrel. :shock:

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 24 March 2013

357Maximum wrote: I got desperate one time and tried cheap crayons for dye.  When the lube cake cooled all the “dye” had settled to the bottom 1/4 inch of the cake and felt chalky...my one and onlys stint with crayons for dye.  Apparently some crayons are made with CLAY.....I can only imagine what clay does with 30-50 thousand psi on it in the barrel. :shock:

I found a thread where it was stated to only use Crayola brand crayons for that very reason. The clay however would most likely act as a bore polish ( in moderation ) as this is what auto detailers use to remove stubborn water spots and scratches in the clear coat on vehicle paint. Cheap bore lapping compound in a sense. I am not going the crayon route though so wont be taking any chances .

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 24 March 2013

If you are using candle making die a little bit (one or two drops)goes a long way.

I tried some blue about 10 drops and finally threw the lube away. I had blue on everything it even came near. A microscopic bit of blue lube would leave a big stain on my kitchen floor or anything else it landed on. This  does not make for a happy wife.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 24 March 2013

10 Spot Terminator wrote: 357Maximum wrote: I got desperate one time and tried cheap crayons for dye.  When the lube cake cooled all the “dye” had settled to the bottom 1/4 inch of the cake and felt chalky...my one and onlys stint with crayons for dye.  Apparently some crayons are made with CLAY.....I can only imagine what clay does with 30-50 thousand psi on it in the barrel. :shock:

I found a thread where it was stated to only use Crayola brand crayons for that very reason. The clay however would most likely act as a bore polish ( in moderation ) as this is what auto detailers use to remove stubborn water spots and scratches in the clear coat on vehicle paint. Cheap bore lapping compound in a sense. I am not going the crayon route though so wont be taking any chances .

Crayola Rocks!!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 26 March 2013

10 spot. For heavens sake, please don't make your lube silver in color. That OCD/CDO could really become problematic in trying to determine it the bullets are truly lubed or not. Michael

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 26 March 2013

Black and Blue wrote: 10 spot. For heavens sake, please don't make your lube silver in color. That OCD/CDO could really become problematic in trying to determine it the bullets are truly lubed or not. Michael

Leaning toward Orange but the OCD will probably make me have to scent and flavor it too ...;)

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 27 March 2013

10 Spot Do you recall the red wax candy/lips? My wife says they can still be had. Wonder how they would work for lube. Just unwrap and stick in the sizer resevoir, there you go, mmmm cherry.

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 27 March 2013

Black and Blue wrote: 10 Spot Do you recall the red wax candy/lips? My wife says they can still be had. Wonder how they would work for lube. Just unwrap and stick in the sizer resevoir, there you go, mmmm cherry.

Yes I do remember the candy lips, vampire teeth, the kool aide filled wax tubes and all that. Chewed that stuff until I thought my jaw would drop off. It didnt harden like Parfin or bees wax. Bet it would work quite well. You try it first and let me know. If it turns out the flavoring is a problem send some of it to me and I will remove the flavor and send it back.....:D

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 27 March 2013

How about of tube of Orange Magic, would that work? Could dip it in Cool-Whip and call it a creamsicle if too bland by itself....

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 28 March 2013

I believe all them wax lips and such were a food grade microwax....they sure resembled the soft microwax#430 I use in my lubes.

I recycled paraffin from a candle that was too potent for SWMBO'ed one time and had peach scented MML lube and I colored it to match just for the heck of it.

Lemon Verbena is the scent in Orange Magic if you wanna get creative....it is in the candle/soap making aisle at the craft store.

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 28 March 2013

ooops

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 29 March 2013

I just picked up some coloring wafers for dying candles from a local Michaels craft store and will be giving them a try here soon. These must be very concentrated as the directions state a piece about 1/2 the size of a stick of Dentyne gum will color a pound af wax . The packet based on this should be able to color over 15 lbs. of lube. If this works just for your info the colors available are Red , Cranberry, Purple, Green and Brown. No Orange as I was hoping for. They also had concentrated scent oils but I think that might indeed be going too far . I would be afraid that after a shooting session instead of the scent of gunpowder in the air it would be more like potpouri and might make me want to go tip toe through the Tulips or something “fluffy” like that ,,,

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 29 March 2013

Is that to say that you might have to surpress the urge to obtain a new Charter Arms Chic Lady? http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CharterChicLady53852.asp

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 30 March 2013

Black and Blue wrote: Is that to say that you might have to surpress the urge to obtain a new Charter Arms Chic Lady? http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CharterChicLady53852.asp

Thats exactly the kind of thing i am worried about LOL !

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close