Lube shortage issue

• 6.1K Views
  • Last Post 08 April 2014
Lead weight posted this 02 March 2013

(Keep in mind I use the search function, but couldn't find answer)

I got back into casting and shooting my .357, .45, and 9mm a short while back. To my dismay, I realized my Lyman 450 lubisizer was empty. I had no lube to put into it, and no area stores had the alox lube for it. A friend had given me a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox, but I did not want to use it as directed. However, I had a big chunk of pure beeswax,thru careful estimation I melted about 50/50 wax and LLA combined, and poured that into my lubisizer. I'm of the opinion that it's not too different from the lube sticks you buy for lubisizers, the consistency is about the same, the smell is a bit stronger, but it goes thru the lubisizer and onto the bullets just fine. It's stickier than the lube sticks, but I don't think there should be a problem.

I'm going to the range this week to try my loads out with this lube for the 1st time. Anyone have to do the same thing? If so, were results satisfactory?

Kevin:lovecast:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 02 March 2013

Kevin; Your home mixed lube should be just fine.

However, several years ago, I discovered Lars White Label Lubes. They are so inexpensive that it doesn't really pay me to mix my own. Further, their performance is EXCELLENT.

Carnauba Red is my preference (I shoot a lot in very hot weather and it has a relatively high melting point). One caveat - it requires a heater to run well in the Lube/sizer. If you don't have a heater, then Lars' other lubes will work better for you.

Lars and his wife provide excellent service and a great line of products:

http://www.lsstuff.com/>http://www.lsstuff.com/

Dale53

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 02 March 2013

I wanna try some of the Carnuba Red .

I prefer the hard lubes that require the heater myself .

This stuff hopefully will be a good economical replacement for my old favourite Thompson's Blue Angel !

Attached Files

linoww posted this 03 March 2013

I use LS whitelabel my self and see need to make my own as it so inexpensive.I use his 50/50.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 March 2013

I've had good success with Carnuba Red. I'm using LBT Blue right now because I drank the blue kool-aid, but if it wears off, I wouldn't hesitate to use Lars products. And, as mentioned, you simply can't beat the prices. The last I knew, he also offered a replacement for Tumble lube if you want to keep mixing your own.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 03 March 2013

anachronism wrote:  The last I knew, he also offered a replacement for Tumble lube .

Yes !

My buddy Ranch Dog has used that product in the past . If my memory serves he told me it pretty much seemed to be the same as LLA .

Attached Files

Lead weight posted this 16 March 2013

Well, after 100 rounds in my .357, 200 rounds inb my 9mm, and 150 rounds thru my .45, I had no leading problems with my LLA/Beeswax mix!

:wav3:

All loads were cast bullets!

Kevin

Attached Files

utk posted this 17 March 2013

"Once upon a time” I made some lube with exactly those ingredients - Lee Liquid Alox and Beeswax. The lube was soft and nice, and I left it sitting in a jar.

Some time later I “found” it. But now the lube was rock hard. Because the mineral spirits (solvent) had evaporated.

If it was me, I would replace the lube with a proper lube for lubesizers. A lube that doesn't contain volatile solvents.

Attached Files

Lead weight posted this 21 March 2013

utk wrote: "Once upon a time” I made some lube with exactly those ingredients - Lee Liquid Alox and Beeswax. The lube was soft and nice, and I left it sitting in a jar.

Some time later I “found” it. But now the lube was rock hard. Because the mineral spirits (solvent) had evaporated.

If it was me, I would replace the lube with a proper lube for lubesizers. A lube that doesn't contain volatile solvents.

OK, good to know...

I'm looking into ordering lube from http://www.lsstuff.com/ Till then my question would be can the lube I made be “softened up” if need be? Kevin

Attached Files

Buzzard Bill posted this 21 March 2013

I use carnauba red for everything I load rifle and pistol. Living in Tucson it is warm enough that I do not need to use a heater. They are great people to deal with.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 21 March 2013

I have not bought a stick of bullet lube in many, many years having used a home brew since the early 60's.

Back then it was common for folks to recommend pure beeswax with enough Vaseline to soften it for use in a lube-size machine. I tried it and it worked and have been using it ever since. I have about 100 pounds of beeswax and they still make “ Vaseline. I should be set for life.

I don't think my home brew is any better than many other formulas and commercial lubes. It has just work to my satisfaction for many years and I see no reason to change. I have had many people tell me how it is inferior to this or that, for this or that reason, but I still keep on using it because it works for me.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 March 2013

I feel the same way about beeswax and ATF.

If you can't find beeswax, blend Vaseline and hard paraffin canning wax 50-50 by melted volume, then blend that mix with 4:1 by melted volume with ATF

Simple and it works.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 March 2013

Beeswax, Vaseline , 5% Carnuba flakes & 5% Ivory Soap works for me.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Hoot McGraw posted this 21 March 2013

Last night I broke out some Old SPG Lube and tried to lube up some 45 cal. I wasted 3 times as much as was put in the groove,and just kept recycling it back into the sizer, anyway not sure yet what leading or smoke may occur, but we'll see

Attached Files

lmcollins posted this 22 March 2013

Ed,

When you make your beeswax ATF lube, what are your proportions? 4 to 1 ?

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 04 April 2014

I know this is a old post ,I just want to state that I make my own old NRA lube that use ATF,bees wax and other mix and make it as hard or soft I want.I use it on every thing I load.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 April 2014

4 parts beeswax to 1 part ATF by liquid volume.

5:1 is also OK if you like a stiffer mix for hot weather.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 08 April 2014

I use parifin and ivory soap and vasalne in it besides bees wax and ATF.Sorry for the spelling.

Attached Files

Close