Lyman heater for sizer luber died

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 02 February 2013
mike morrison posted this 31 January 2013

I have a Lyman heater for the sizer luber. Today i pluged it in and no heat. what can go wrong with these? Can they be repaired? or do i just need to replace it? thanks m

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wayne S posted this 31 January 2013

Call Lyman, they will probably tell you to return it  and they will give you a quote on repair or replacement.  Depending on the Temp. where you lube & size,  a 100 W light bulb and some Alum. foil should work

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 31 January 2013

When my wife, years ago, retired her still working hair dryer in favor of a newer, better one, I grabbed the old one. All my reloading back then was done on a workbench in an unheated garage. The dryer blowing on my sizer/luber took care of any cold weather problems. I have a hunch a hair dryer might be found for less than $53.00, which is the price in Midway's Catalog #53 for a Lyman sizer/heater.

Wes

Attached Files

muley posted this 31 January 2013

Mike, I agree with Wes. I use my wifes old hair dryer that was not warm enough for her. the medium heat, and clamped to the bench and blowing on the side of the sizer workes in about 5 min. and warmes the working area. cost was .00  Jim

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 January 2013

I use a 150 watt heat lamp bulb on an adjustable light. I also have an old hair drier but hate the noise.

John

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 January 2013

I made my own with a 40W cartridge heater. If interested I'll post a tutorial on making one.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 31 January 2013

Another option is to get a piece of 1/8-3/8 steel plate 4” to 6” wide and 12” long. drill holes so it will set under your L/S. Go to the “Good Will” or  “Thrift” shops and get an iron, and set it on the plate, about 12 Min. on High and  you will be backing the temp on the iron way down

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 January 2013

Pat,

I would be interested in your idea for using the 40 W cartridge heater.

John

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 January 2013

John Alexander wrote: Pat,

I would be interested in your idea for using the 40 W cartridge heater.

John

Let me get some pics & info together & I'll get this thing going.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 01 February 2013

Wayne S wrote: Another option is to get a piece of 1/8-3/8 steel plate 4” to 6” wide and 12” long. drill holes so it will set under your L/S. Go to the “Good Will” or  “Thrift” shops and get an iron, and set it on the plate, about 12 Min. on High and  you will be backing the temp on the iron way down

I'd go this route with a small change .

Instead of using a piece of steel I'd see if I could find a piece 6x12 and about a 1/4-1/2 inch thick aluminum .

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 01 February 2013

Pat, let's see what ya got.

anyone fixed one of the Lyman heaters? Will call Lyman tomorrow. I have used the light bulb on other s/l's. just wondering if this Lyman heater can be reserected to life. thanks for all the ideas. I have a 1/2"X12"X6” aluminum plate I could use with an iron. m

Attached Files

Another option if you wanted to use a contained heater would be to bore a bit of a hole in the back of the casting like on my pair of Lyman 4500 and use the new style electrode heater . I should think if you can find a place on the backside that you're sure doesn't screw anything up and put a hole about an inch or so into the casting you should be fine .

The little electrode heaters are less expensive then the older plate style Lyman heaters . And they certainly work fast on the pair I have .

I've got an RCBS Lubrisizer I picked up second hand not to long ago . I was thinking I'd do the 6x12x 1/2 inch piece of aluminum . But if I can fit the Lyman electrode somewhere in the back of the RCBS that should be a simpler and smaller option .

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 01 February 2013

You might also consider checking the scrap yards for a thick casting that might have a “block” of aluminum the correct size to drill for the bolts and the heater.  That way you would have one adapter for several lube sizers.  OK, yes, I do have more than one, and occassionally borrow one from a friend as well.  Duane

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch wrote: You might also consider checking the scrap yards for a thick casting that might have a “block” of aluminum the correct size to drill for the bolts and the heater.  That way you would have one adapter for several lube sizers.  OK, yes, I do have more than one, and occassionally borrow one from a friend as well.  Duane Moving that little electrode heater from one unit to the next is nothing more then loosening a set screw pulling the electrode out  , insert it in the next unit tighten the set screw and plug it in !

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 01 February 2013

Yes, that is pretty simple, but a block drilled for that same heater would eliminate drilling into an RCBS, older Lyman, Saeco, or even a Star.  I kind of like that bunch of options.  But not everyone cares to do things the same way, so go with what works best in your situation.  Duane

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 02 February 2013

Let me get some pics & info together & I'll get this thing going.

Pat

I'd be interested in seeing this also. Might save me a little trouble later on.

Ron

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 February 2013

hunterspistol wrote: Let me get some pics & info together & I'll get this thing going.

Pat

I'd be interested in seeing this also. Might save me a little trouble later on.

Ron</quote>:coffee

I actually made two of them. I have one #450 & two #45 sizers. I need to make one more & in doing that I will take pictures as I go along & post them as I do. They consist of a 40W cartridge heater, a piece of 3/4” x 4” x 4” aluminum, a dimmer switch, a 4” square metal electrical box, a switch cover & a piece of 16-3 SJ cord with plug on the end. I get the cartridge heaters at McMaster-Carr for $17.00. The switch at Home Depot for about $5.00 & the rest I had laying around. If one had two buy everything they would have about $30.00 to $35.00 in it. The Lyman heater is over $50.00, the temp is not adjustable & when it stops working . . . it's not serviceable . . . Not to my knowledge anyway. Mine is serviceable . Any part can be replaced. A sharp eye & quick fingers can snap up most of the parts at a flea market (except for the cartridge heater) for cheap . . . Real cheap. Steel can be substituted for aluminum & the thickness of it can be 5/8” instead of 3/4". The cartridge heater is 3/8” x 1 1/2” & slides into a drilled hole in the center back end of the block. The cartridge heater, part #3618K311 is $17.38 @ McMaster-Carr online. I've dealt with these people for years. Their shipping is fast & cheap! They are my ” go to ” place when I can't get that special item locally. Their shipping is usually cheaper than the gas that it would take to go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Pat.>

Attached Files

Close