Pan lubing

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 23 February 2013
45ACPete posted this 15 December 2012

In my most recent experiences with pan lubing I have found that the first “pour” around bullets in a teflon coated pan pops out easily when cool, and the bullets can be readily pushed through the lube cake. However, after replacing the lube cake in the pan, reinserting bullets and remelting and then cooling, the cake doesn't come out so easily, if at all. One time I got so frustrated I literally slammed the pan of lubed bullets down on newspaper on the garage floor--most of it came out but a section in the center was still in the pan. The last couple of times I've used a hemostat to grab the bullets by their noses and pulled them out. Works OK--I doubt that the small teeth marks left on the ogives of the bullets do any harm. Actually, I've only had this problem with homemade lubes, including my most recent--Ed's recommended 4:1 beeswax/ATF. Previous experience was with Javelina and I had no trouble.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rmrix posted this 15 December 2012

Try a different lube or, spray Pam in the pan first or, put the lube cake in the freezer after it sets up with bullets in it. it will shrink and release. then let it warm up to push the bullets out of the lube cake.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 15 December 2012

I made a tool to cookie cut the bullets out of the pan. I used a fired case with a hole through the case head. Then I put a screw that slid easily through the hole and used this as a plunger to push out the bullets from the cutter. My lube was 50/50 lithium grease and bees wax. It was pretty soft. I would get two pans going and cycle them through the freezer. It piled them up pretty quick.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 December 2012

I always just warm the bottom of the pan a tad by putting it briefly on the stove.

John

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 December 2012

I always just warm the bottom of the pan a tad by putting it briefly on the stove. If it's a round pan you can tell when the bottom is loose by trying to rotate the cake.

John

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 16 December 2012

John gives the right answer. I always do this and presumed everybody else did and didn't mention it. So blame it on me! 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 16 December 2012

Ed Harris wrote: John gives the right answer. I always do this and presumed everybody else did and didn't mention it. So blame it on me! 8-)There are a lot of right ways to do something.

Attached Files

barnacle brad posted this 22 February 2013

delmarskid1 wrote: I made a tool to cookie cut the bullets out of the pan. I used a fired case with a hole through the case head. Then I put a screw that slid easily through the hole and used this as a plunger to push out the bullets from the cutter. My lube was 50/50 lithium grease and bees wax. It was pretty soft. I would get two pans going and cycle them through the freezer. It piled them up pretty quick.I made a cutter today. Threaded a 40 s&w case for a stainless screw, drilled clearance hole through 45/70 case, inserted screw into case and placed two ball point pen springs over screw and threaded 40 case onto screw. The 40 case head contacts the top of the bullet and depresses into the 45/70 case where the springs push the lubed bullet back out of the case.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 22 February 2013

Try a silicone baking pan. Never a problem.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 22 February 2013

Pigslayer wrote: Try a silicone baking pan. Never a problem.

PatI ordered a silicone pan to try a few years ago and it came with a pattern on the bottom to give the floppy pan some ridged strength, but bullets will not stand up on it.

I know they work because a number of people use them. I just do not find them with out the ribs on the bottom. If I ever do I will try it.

For now, I put my metal pan in the freezer a few minutes,  does the trick.  They pop right out.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 February 2013

rmrix wrote: Pigslayer wrote: Try a silicone baking pan. Never a problem.

PatI ordered a silicone pan to try a few years ago and it came with a pattern on the bottom to give the floppy pan some ridged strength, but bullets will not stand up on it.

I know they work because a number of people use them. I just do not find them with out the ribs on the bottom. If I ever do I will try it.

For now, I put my metal pan in the freezer a few minutes,  does the trick.  They pop right out.

I got one without the ribs on EBay. I'll try to look up the seller.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Close