Color coating your cast bullets?

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 04 February 2013
smifffphe posted this 29 November 2012

Watched a guy on Youtube who shows you his green colored cast bullets and it doesnt scratch off. This is not a paint coating either and he claims you can coat a couple thousand in 90 min but he will not give out the process. He further says you can do this in any color and i believe this is also a moly coating. Anyone know how he does it?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 29 November 2012

No idea but is he claiming some advantage over non-colored bullets?

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 29 November 2012

No, nothing unique but its making it your personal touch that is a talking point ant if you would sell them to your friends it would be cool knowing they are different.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 29 November 2012

Add India Ink, drawing or calligraphy ink to 45:45:10 Recluse Tumble lube that is basically clear. This will work fine if you want color.

Gary

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 03 December 2012

Just color them with a marking pen or mark them with an all, probably to slow of a process though.

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 16 December 2012

Im thinking you guys dont think im serious. There are no markers used or just dyes, it is really permanently dies and doesnt rub off. Its a processed coating. You add moly with it somehow. Check it out on on you tube yourself. Type in colored cast bullets. You dont see his face and he has a strong accent. Geve me your feedback when you do. Thanks!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 December 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6969>smifffphe:

provide the link.

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 16 December 2012

There's a commercial cast bullet supplier here in Louisiana that uses a green coating on his bullets. It completely replaces all other bullet lubes and does NOT contain moly. He will not divulge his “recipe” but says it can be done in many colors. I've heard many good reports on the performance of his offerings.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 17 December 2012

Cast bullets are meant to be silver. Part my brain is thinking cool, the other part is thinking this just ain't right.

?v=uQ7MQhs3hwg

http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/ares-color-coated-cast-bullets-from-slovakia/

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 December 2012

Moly Polymer, so what. English isn't even the first language of these scammers. Look at the coatings, they are very thick with rounded edges where cast bullets are sharp. The coatings roll over edges and appear to be well over .010” thick in the pictures.  Bullet size in diameter would completely be based upon combining the coating thickness with the bullet diameter and relating to the durability of the coating to how it's thickness withstands being fired and guided by the rifling.  Photos showing a fired bullet with the coating not being cut like copper jackets or lead is cut by the rifling? Really, the stuff just compresses of displaces like a ductile bullet alloy. A material that would behave like that during practical ballistic pressure and velocity would be better than the material used in the current state of the art body armor. This stuff is only $5 to cover thousands of bullets...Yea right. let me know what you get for the $5 and how much it really is in real dollars when you get  some couple thousand bullets to perform.

The pictures showing loaded ammunition don't look believable that they would shoot well. The bullets appear small in diameter compared to the brass. This looks like child's play compared to anybody's mediocre cast bullets that actually shoot decently.

Who told these scammers that polymers bond to lead alloys, they don't. Lead is inherently lubricious. If they are getting a bond, it is a chemical one requiring a bonding enhancer for paint like aluminum paint primer. If they are baking on a polymer with a bond enhancer, lead is still inherently lubricious. Where is the research shoring the bond strength of the coating?

These scams have been going on for years, if these materials and methods really worked well, Federal would be making ammo like this already. They always glam on and copy new stuff.

I am not believing that bullets with a coating so thick  of polymer is any enhancement or improvement beyond simple lead alloys at all. This is like selling the most colorful fishing lures to the most foolish fishermen. 

They say it doesn't scratch off. Rainier plated bullets have severe load level limits  so the copper plating doesn't doesn't peel off in your barrel. Rainier's plating isn't scratch-proof at all and it is copper. So someone has you believing that paint is stronger than copper. I'm not believing it without a major bullet manufacturer selling bullets made with the coating that is fired at factory jacketed load levels the way the scam suggests is normal for the product .

Gary

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 17 December 2012

Onondaga, I agree with your assessment of those coated bullets. That is a joke......and a poor one at that.

This is a photo of the bullets sold locally here. These do work well if you believe all the people who use them. He now offers the coating for sale for those who wish to coat their own. I'm sure many of you have heard of Jerry Miculeck and these bullets are sold by his brother Donnie.

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 17 December 2012

He sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the first Terminator movie. LOL!

What good, or what reason would I care about colored bullets? No reason.

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 17 December 2012

It's not about the color. What if it were available in clear? It is a replacement for lube and provides smoke-free shooting and greatly reduced lead particles in the air when shooting. I don't use them and don't really plan to, but I do understand the reasons it may be a good idea in some applications. High volume shooters here love these bullets. No lube build-up in dies, no lube on your hands when handling bulk bullets, and no smoke to obscure sight alignment when speed shooting. Again, not for me but very useful for some shooters.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 17 December 2012

Colored bullets for color “coded” loads

Color - -- Load type

Pink ------ Wussy Yellow ---- For those who are afraid to shoot Red ------- DRT Purple ---- Hurt to shoot Black ----- For use at night Orange---- Maximum Green ----- Favorite “Go to" Blue ------ Long Range

Naked ----- Real cast bullet loads

Attached Files

GeorgeH posted this 02 February 2013

The coating Donnie Miculek is using comes from Australia. It shoots clean with very low amounts of smoke.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 03 February 2013

If I use the same bullet but with different powder/charge, they go into different make cases and are boxed seperately....what's the reason for coloring....color co-ordinating with your clothing? 

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 03 February 2013

Notlwonk wrote: If I use the same bullet but with different powder/charge, they go into different make cases and are boxed seperately....what's the reason for coloring....color co-ordinating with your clothing? 

Check posts number 11 and 13 in this thread.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 04 February 2013

Do these bullets leave a colored ring around the bullet hole in paper?

They might be handy when I am shooting with a pistol in each hand to see if the right or left hand is doing better.

Relax. That was just a lame joke. I can't ever shoot with two hands on one pistol. I am interested if the bullets leave color on the holes.

John

Attached Files

Close