Modern Bond Lubersizer

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 20 October 2012
Pigslayer posted this 26 August 2012

I bought a beautiful old Modern Bond Lubersizer about two years ago just because I like to see it setting there. I would like to locate dies for it. This company has been out of business for many years but hoping that someone out there has some dies in their collection and would part with them. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 26 August 2012

You may try the “Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association.” They have a web sight and are very nice folks. Ric

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 August 2012

Do you have a die picture? You may be able to have some made by someone like Lathesmith if you have a pattern. Also, that looks a lot like a SAECO sizer, are the dies threaded on the bottom for a knurled nut?

BTW, I agree with you. That is one of the neatest old pieces I've seen yet.

Attached Files

anachronism wrote: Do you have a die picture? You may be able to have some made by someone like Lathesmith if you have a pattern. Also, that looks a lot like a SAECO sizer, are the dies threaded on the bottom for a knurled nut?

BTW, I agree with you. That is one of the neatest old pieces I've seen yet.

I do have one die for it . . . somewhere. The dies are much like a Lyman except they are are a little smaller in diameter . . . about 43/64". They also have a lip on top. I had the original die out due wanting to have some made for it in various sizes but now have misplaced it. But still they wouldn't be hard to duplicate.

I did a lot of research and it is a Modern Bond. I believe that Modern Bond was bought out by Lyman in about 1951 . . . I think.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

There is a website called Cornell Publications. It contains pamphlets & catalogs pertaining to many many vintage weapons & reloading tool manufacterers. These reprints are good quality but, of course are not free. But they are reasonably priced. I just ordered the 1933 Modern Bond catalog @ $11.95. Should be interesting.

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 August 2012

There is a fellow that goes by the handle of Lathesmith here that may be able to make dies for you. And I agree this looks like a very old SAECO sizer.

Look at the ads that rotate at the top of the forum to get in contact with Lathesmith (Chris Smith) he is in Springfield MO.

Attached Files

Jeff Bowles wrote: There is a fellow that goes by the handle of Lathesmith here that may be able to make dies for you. And I agree this looks like a very old SAECO sizer.

Look at the ads that rotate at the top of the forum to get in contact with Lathesmith (Chris Smith) he is in Springfield MO.

Jeff,

You and Anachronism may be right on, on the manufacturer . . . to be truthful I'm only going by what someone else told me over at boolits some time ago. I originally thought that it was a Lyman #1. I'll know more it when the Modern Bond catalog gets here. The lubricant reservoir is exactly like a Lyman #45 right down to the early “brass” pressure seal & screw. It also accepts the same size shank for the top punch as the Lyman. Any info would be helpful . . . pics . . . specs . . . history? You say Lathesmith huh? Cool.

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 August 2012

We are suggesting that this may be the design that the SAECO evolved from. The reservoir is different, but the linkage is very similar. On a SAECO, the nose punch screws into the top casting, the die bodies are flanged, as you describe, but longer than RCBS/Lyman, and are threaded on the portion that extends past the main body casting. A knurled nut screws onto the die by hand to keep the die in place. It kind of looks like a really long Star die, with threads on the bottom.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 27 August 2012

anachronism wrote: We are suggesting that this may be the design that the SAECO evolved from. The reservoir is different, but the linkage is very similar. On a SAECO, the nose punch screws into the top casting, the die bodies are flanged, as you describe, but longer than RCBS/Lyman, and are threaded on the portion that extends past the main body casting. A knurled nut screws onto the die by hand to keep the die in place. It kind of looks like a really long Star die, with threads on the bottom. O. K. After searching archives @ boolits my memory was jogged. It is a Modern-Bond made prior to world war II. Some say that it was a Modern-Bond knock-off of the Ideal #1 but the M/B version was stronger and had the mounting tabs drilled instead of using a mounting clamp. The diameter of the die is .687-.688 dia. and has a lip at the top. Still searching for dies.

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 August 2012

If you can come up with a die that the dimensions can be taken from I am sure Chris can make you one!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 27 August 2012

Jeff Bowles wrote: If you can come up with a die that the dimensions can be taken from I am sure Chris can make you one! Thanks Jeff. I'n going to get some real accurate measurements & then get hold of Chris.

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 August 2012

I found this for Chris Smith aka Lathesmith

The bottom one is easier to read

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 October 2012

Yahoo!!!! I finally found . . . & bought a sizing die (.431 . . . a size I can use) for my Modern Bond lubersizer!!! It showed up on Ebay as being for a Lyman or RCBS Lubrisizer. I knew what it was as soon as I saw the pic! Now, because I have this one I can have Lathesmith make more of different sizes. I really do love puttung outdated, old & obsolete equipment back to work!!! Pat Reynolds

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 October 2012

It looks like a cross between a Star die and a Lyman/RCBS. Interesting!

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 13 October 2012

I wonder if Cramer dies will fit it.

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 14 October 2012

Have you tried Saeco dies. My Saeco dies measure.686 on the body and are 1.752 total in length. The lip at the top is .125 thick and.870 in dia.

mrbill2

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 October 2012

mrbill2 wrote: Have you tried Saeco dies. My Saeco dies measure.686 on the body and are 1.752 total in length. The lip at the top is .125 thick and.870 in dia. The Saeco dies are threaded on the bottom as the Modern Bond are not.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 20 October 2012

I would need some specs to be sure, but I suspect a good hand with a lathe could turn down a Lyman or RCBS die to make one of those things.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 October 2012

Still, if they'd fit well, and seal at the bottom, they might have possibilities. The threaded end of a SAECO might not allow the bottom to seal.

Then again, everything could be totally different.

Pigslayer wrote: mrbill2 wrote: Have you tried Saeco dies. My Saeco dies measure.686 on the body and are 1.752 total in length. The lip at the top is .125 thick and.870 in dia. The Saeco dies are threaded on the bottom as the Modern Bond are not.

Attached Files

Close