Match Barrel Life

• 5.8K Views
  • Last Post 28 February 2013
6pt-sika posted this 06 July 2012

I've read what some folks claim the life of a jacketed bullet bench match gun is .

And I'm wondering in comparison what do you guys consider average life for a HVY or UNL match barrel say shooting something along the lines of a 30BR with cast bullets of course ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 06 July 2012

Jacketed BR shooters are claiming 6000 and more rounds before the 30 BR are giving up and it has to be remembered that in that game a barrel that all the sudden starts shooting in the 3s is shot out. I have no idea how long it would take shooting our comparatively light loads using cast bullets but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone claiming their barrel was shot out. I think a few have been cleaned out but I think it'd take one heck of a lot of rounds to actually shoot one out.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 06 July 2012

I'm working on a project in determning barrel life with cast bullets. Might have some data showing degredation in a decade or two. Ask me then. :)

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 06 July 2012

A 30BR barrel shooting cast bullets is shot out in 4,845 shots. joe b.

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 06 July 2012

I have found that if you shoot bullets with high tin content the throat will shoot out sooner.I built a gun in 350 Rem mag some years ago (Krieger Barrel)and i get aprox. 6,000 rds through it before i need too set it back.the same barrel hase 36,000 plus rounds through it and the lands and grouves have increased and decreased to the point that it now takes a bigger bullet to shoot the same as the new barrel.30br shouldnt be shot out till you get 10,000 or so rounds through it.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 July 2012

heh heh ...good one, joe.

it might be a good time to remember that barrels are not shot out from ...bullets ....  they are  “corroded out  “   by the powder burning ....the more powder you burn ( factoring in temperature/pressure )  the faster the throat starts walking down the barrel

a lot of shooters from this area take the 10 hr. drive to p.dog heaven....1000 hot barrel shots a day are possible.   very interesting to section such barrels and see that the 3 inch long “burn hole “  ...where the throat used to be ...(g)...is not always a nice concentric advance....the burnt, corroded  pit sometimes corkscrews down the barrel a ways..

if its a  straight 26 in barrel in the first place, it could be set back 6 inches...then it wouldn/t be shot out anymore   !

a nice  26” rem varmint barrel won't allow an easy setback, it tapers too fast the first few inches.   it could be saved with a bushing but that might not fly with a paying customer (g).

when i put on new varmint barrels, i advise to leave full diameter for 5 inches in front of the receiver ...to allow for 1 or 2 setbacks.fwiw, some of the top br shooters, 30 gr. high pressure loads, setback a little every 1000 shots.

as bill klinton would say...it depends on the definition of “shot out ..".    ken

Attached Files

Hey, Joe KNOWS. If ANYONE is OCD on keeping good records JoeB is the man.

Attached Files

James Ball wrote: I have found that if you shoot bullets with high tin content the throat will shoot out sooner.I built a gun in 350 Rem mag some years ago (Krieger Barrel)and i get aprox. 6,000 rds through it before i need too set it back.the same barrel hase 36,000 plus rounds through it and the lands and grouves have increased and decreased to the point that it now takes a bigger bullet to shoot the same as the new barrel.30br shouldnt be shot out till you get 10,000 or so rounds through it.

What is 'high tin content' in percentage? (appoximately)

Attached Files

Ken Campbell, Iowa wrote: ... it might be a good time to remember that barrels are not shot out from ...bullets ....  they are  “corroded out  “   by the powder burning ....the more powder you burn ( factoring in temperature/pressure )  the faster the throat starts walking down the barrel ... ken

It's time to rechamber to 22 Squirrel !

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 06 July 2012

tin content higher than 12-13% is what i call high tin content

Attached Files

James Ball wrote: tin content higher than 12-13% is what i call high tin content

Thanks! I have a lot of tin and have considered accuracy tests on pure tin bullets as they are as hard as copper jacketed (about 42-43 on ROCKWELL B). I don't have a clue as to what even 10% tin would get me for hardness.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 July 2012

pat i. wrote: Jacketed BR shooters are claiming 6000 and more rounds before the 30 BR are giving up and it has to be remembered that in that game a barrel that all the sudden starts shooting in the 3s is shot out. I have no idea how long it would take shooting our comparatively light loads using cast bullets but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone claiming their barrel was shot out. I think a few have been cleaned out but I think it'd take one heck of a lot of rounds to actually shoot one out.

How many rounds typically do the jacketed guys say for the 22 an 6mm PPC or BR ?

I would “assume” they would head south sooner ?

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 07 July 2012

I don't think there's any set number of rounds before the throat's burned out in any of the cartridges you mentioned but the smaller calibers seem to have a much shorter life. When the barrel starts throwing unexplained flyers it's considered shot out. But remember like I said before jacketed BR shooters are talking about flyers opening groups up from the teens or low 2s to the high 2s and 3s. If you're thinking about buliding a cast rifle just go with the 30 BR. There's a ton of data and experience for it and a bushel basket full of 30 caliber moulds to choose from.

Maybe I should start following my own advice.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 July 2012

pat i. wrote: I don't think there's any set number of rounds before the throat's burned out in any of the cartridges you mentioned but the smaller calibers seem to have a much shorter life. When the barrel starts throwing unexplained flyers it's considered shot out. But remember like I said before jacketed BR shooters are talking about flyers opening groups up from the teens or low 2s to the high 2s and 3s. If you're thinking about buliding a cast rifle just go with the 30 BR. There's a ton of data and experience for it and a bushel basket full of 30 caliber moulds to choose from.

Maybe I should start following my own advice. My memory may be playing tricks but I “thought” I remmembered reading somewhere that some of those guys claimed with a 22 or 6mm PPC that they sometimes swapped out barrels in less then a thousand rounds . But as you say they were doing this for a difference of say a hundreth of an inch perhaps . And that same barrel (if the twist was correct) would make someone else an excellent varmint barrel or for use as a practice barrel .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 July 2012

pat i. wrote:  If you're thinking about buliding a cast rifle just go with the 30 BR. There's a ton of data and experience for it and a bushel basket full of 30 caliber moulds to choose from.

Maybe I should start following my own advice.

You get no arguments from me on that subject !

I cast bullets in the past for a 218 Bee , 25-20 and the 25-36 Marlin . ALL of those were a PITA compared to say casting for a 30-30 . Granted were speaking of levr cartridges . But the 30 cal pills seemed a hell of alot easier to me !

I'll have to go back thru my 12 years of TFS and see what most competitors shot in the 30 BR's . Incidently I have a friend in Arizona thats originally from my town . This guy has been a dabbling gunsmith for 30 years . Anyway he built himself a 30 BR on a Bat action I believe it's called a year or so ago . And while he only shoots jacketed and 100 yards only . He's sent me pics of several tenth or less groups . And his are five shots !

The only two I've shot at less then a tenth have been 3 shot groups .

Attached Files

4060may posted this 10 July 2012

Barrel life is 6 seconds http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/09/gone-in-six-seconds-barrel-life/

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 10 July 2012

I shot a 30 PPC in a 15” XP-100 for 7 CBA match seasons. The load was a 175-grain LBT or Eagan, at 1950-2050 fps. At the end of last year, the last shot of a match (lucky me) a case mouth separated and remained in the throat. After too many gyrations and contortions I gave up on getting that piece of brass out. Had to shoot a rifle in Production at the NT..darn. It was (is) a Lija barrel. A friend's review with his borescope said the barrel (other than the messed-up chamber area from the “brass digging” work) looked good. I had 200 pieces of Lapua 220 Russian cases and the gun had 4,950 rounds through so about (25) times with each piece of brass. Never did anneal that brass but in hindsight should have.

It now has an Adams and Bennett barrel (chrome moly) on it, chambered in 30 Silhouette (.30/223). Due to the A+B factory contour of the barrel, the length is 12” to make the 7-pound weight limit. The same buddy with a borescope said he was surprised how well the innards of that barrel look. So why not roll the dice? See what happens. First match with it is next Thursday 19th. I'll start with the 175-grain MX3-30AR Eagan and 19.0 of RE-7 for 1698 fps. Will take a handful of matches to see what the initial impression will be.

Tom

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 10 July 2012

Any body ever read about the 38 cal. Kelly Pope owned by a man by the name Modiset(can't remember his name)? My friend Jack Dever went to Missouri to shoot the rifle back in the 80's sometime and shot a bug hole group with over 184,000 rounds fired through the rifle! At that time the owner allowed known good shooters to shoot the rifle. Reg

Attached Files

John Grantham posted this 22 December 2012

I have a 6ppc. The throat lasts about 1000-1200 rounds. During the last 200-300 the rifle is not competitive. There are a few guys that are real serious that set back at around 500-600.

Attached Files

muley posted this 23 December 2012

The late mike moehler had over 15,000 rounds thru his .243 and still shot well.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 23 December 2012

4060- You beat me to it.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close