Toothpaste....?

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 21 September 2012
The Black Spot posted this 17 June 2012

Anyone used crest toothpaste with baking soda for a cheap firelapping compound? Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 17 June 2012

Many years ago I bought an ancient Colt 1911 with a well worn and very dark bore.  I thought perhaps it was time to replace the barrel.  I shot several very lightly loaded cast bullets that had been rolled in Toothpaste (do not remember what brand since you specifically mention that).  I shot them into a pond so I could see that the bullet cleared the barrel.  I had to hand eject the fired case.

The barrel was nicely improved after 5-7 rounds and still shoots better than I can. 

I did not add anything to the toothpaste to improve the polishing action.   Duane

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 June 2012

"Tartar Control” toothpastes contain fine pumice. Some guys use them to clean mould cavities with (of all things, a toothbrush.

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 19 June 2012

Try Bon Ami, the original formula. Buy it at ACE Hardware.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 19 June 2012

I've used toothpaste on a patch. It cleaned up a rough bore some what. It washes out easily as it is water based. Ive used it to polish wheel bearings on bicycles too. The stuff is mild and cheap.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 20 June 2012

Hello, I had a very small “blip” above the surface in the finish of a semi gloss oil finished stock. I didn't want to get too agressive & create more problems with scratches in finish..used regular Pepsodent T.P. on a hard felt backer..came right out like it wasn't even there.

Attached Files

The Black Spot posted this 22 June 2012

How about a paper patched bullet for firelapping, the paper being 400 - 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper?

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 22 June 2012

regular bright white paper contains titanium dioxide and is abrasive enough on it's own to polish a bbl. i have used whitening toothpaste to de-burr a steel mold,and lapping compound to open a mold a couple of thousandths.

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 22 August 2012

The Black Spot wrote: How about a paper patched bullet for firelapping, the paper being 400 - 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper? Have you really tried that? Sounds scarry to me, even 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper is a 1000 times more abrasive than tooth paste. To each his own. I'm not trying to ruffle you feathers but it just sounds a little aggressive.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 23 August 2012

Good old Bon Ami is nothing more than sand “grit” in a soap vehicle.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Will Durant posted this 20 September 2012

My understanding is that BonAmi is primarily eggshell.Will

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 20 September 2012

I had to make slides (for light microscopy) of Bon Ami when I worked in Pathology at UCLA Med Center.  A young man had died from repettedly snorting the cleanser.  What we were looking for was the presence of Benzine crystals ( visible under polarized light) in the cleanser.  They were there and so were the “rocks” of the grit -probably pumice- . 

If you scrubbed the slide hard with the cleanser you could see the scratches on the glass from the abrasive.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 21 September 2012

Two types - orginal and current. Contains lime is on one of them.

Attached Files

Close