winchester 94 in 44mag

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 25 May 2012
CB posted this 22 May 2012

I am looking at win 94 S.R.C. in 44mag and was wondering how the 429421 would work .Feeding, max OAL & loads .I will be using whl/wts cast hard 25-30bhn.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gunarea posted this 22 May 2012

Hey 13

The Win will function well using loads crimped tightly at the crimp groove and loaded at moderate levels. You might want to soften your alloy for hunting deer. Down here in Florida, the deer are small and so I use the 210 gr Keith type. For pigs, 240 gr driven around 1200 fps does very well. For cowboy action shooting, I prefer much softer alloy, along with subsonic velocities. Winchester rifling works real good with cast projectiles. There is some technical help online for the newer trigger situations. After a little work they are good enough to give as gifts. I hope to have been of some help.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 22 May 2012

I've loaded and used it - been a few years. It works. Like the .45 LC in the '94 they both have short stroke and the lever needs to be worked smartly.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 May 2012

Many thank yous for your input. It makes this rifle much more interesting.I have a couple other questions.Has anyone used the 300-310gr slugs? This rifle has a 20inch bbl and a 1in26 twist.Also I have heard some people complain about the recoil, I know full house loads in revolver can get a bit stiff but this is a 7lb rifle?

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 23 May 2012

Hey 13

I have the Lyman mould which throws a 315 gr Keith type slug. Although I have not taken game with this particular gun/bullet combination, it is accurate at subsonic velocity and not unpleasant to shoot. Full house loads are not so much fun with the hard plastic butt plate. Deep seating is needed to cycle smoothly and thus attention to differences in powder charge is critical. Lee factory crimp die really helps with this loading since the bullet is longer than what is addressed by most 44 mag reloading dies. The big bullet makes the rifle feel like a BIG gun. HTH.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

EdS posted this 23 May 2012

Seconding gunarea's earlier reply - you probably don't need more than 11-12 BHN for your .44 Mag loads if you stay in the 1100 -1200 fps range that works quite well with boolits. As I've written before, I cast 240 and 260 grain “Keith” style SWCs and drive them at about 1100 with Unique. They will give full penetration in whitetail on angle shots. -Ed

Attached Files

EdS posted this 23 May 2012

Duplicate message - deleted.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 24 May 2012

I shoot an NEI 315 or so gr plain based bullet; but I save it for my .444 Win '94.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 May 2012

gunarea wrote:    I have the Lyman mould which throws a 315 gr Keith type slug.

I'd be intrested to know the Lyman mold number for this mold !

Then I could go looking for one for myself . I assume it's gas checked . A 315 grainer would be cool !

I have the Lyman 429215 , 429244 , 429244 HP , 429640 , 429640 HP , 429649 and 429650 . The largest being the 429650 and that ones listed as a 300 grain SWC GC .

Attached Files

I've never owned a Winchester 94 in 44 MAG but I have owned a pair of Marlin 336-44's as well as a couple Marlin 1894's in 44 MAG .

My present 44 MAG is a circa 1967 336-44 . This one has a 20” barrel with a 1-38 twist . I typically load the Ranch Dog 432-240GC with 25 grains of H110 , the Ranch Dog 432-265GC with 23 grains H110 , the Ranch Dog 432-300GC with 21 grains of H110 and a hybrid of my own with the Ranch Dog style nose and standard lube grooves made by Mountain Molds in a 432-325GC that I push with 20 grains of H110 .

All four of those bullets shoot well in my little Marlin carbine out to 100 yards . Only thing not so great I can comment on about any of those combinations is my 325 grain bullet just begins to ever so slightly yaw when it hits the paper at 100 yards . But it'll still keep 3 of them inside two inches at 100 yards with that load in my rifle .

The 300 and 325 grainers are not all day long plinking or bench shooting loads and will get noticable after maybe 25 shots .

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 May 2012

The wealth of knowledgein this forum and the association has never ceases to amaze me.thanks

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 24 May 2012

Hey 6pt-sika

Your post made me walk out to the shop to check my big mould. It is 429650 AV and is a Keith type semi wad gas check. A random bullet pulled out weighed 314.7 gr on my Ohaus. The alloy I use has a bhn of 12, minimum cure time four weeks,  as checked with a Saeco hardness test instrument. Sized to .430 with full compliment of “Best lube” applied. No gas check is used and check void is also filled with lube.

For NRA Hunter pistol I use 6.1 gr Alliant Promo for Ram shots. In a Ruger old model super blackhawk it wins at state level while making me fully aware I am in big bore class. IHMSA loads have seen red, blue and green dot powders used to make sure Ram feet are clear off the rails. Cowboy action shooting has not seen me use this particular bullet in competition, however I did load some up and did a run just to try it. Not too good! Way too much whump for single handed handgun display by myself and several others who wanted in on this folly. When used in hunting applications, slower pistol and rifle powders have a report that is much less sharp for unprotected ears. Alliant new formula 2400, Dupont 4227 along with several others that I have tried.  

Of the 44 rifles I possess, A Henry yellow boy would be my first choice when shooting this big ole bullet. But, Marlin is represented most in my safe.

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

gunarea wrote: Hey 6pt-sika

Your post made me walk out to the shop to check my big mould. It is 429650 AV and is a Keith type semi wad gas check. A random bullet pulled out weighed 314.7 gr on my Ohaus.  

Thanks !

I have a Lyman 429650 and was hoping you had a mold I was not aware of . My Lyman 429649 is 325 grains I believe . Incidently seems to me some one told me a few years ago that the 429649 was made for silhouette shooters to use in Contender pistols a number of years ago .

I've got a pair of Marlin 444's set up with the Lyman 429650 and 429649 . I rarely bother to weigh any of the bullets I cast .

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 25 May 2012

Hey Guys

Just to mention another option, I also have a Lyman 44 round ball mould. In a Winchester or a Henry it can be used as is with a 3 gr. charge of Promo or probably any equivalent fast pistol or shotgun propellant.

My Marlins micro grooves prefer a run through a Lyman H&I at .430. The sized ball gets a bearing band which must be hand placed correctly to orient  the projectile.

Even the kids shoot it and then love to tell their buddies how they shot a “44". The cartridge cycles easily, has virtually no recoil and has shown accuracy out to at least fifty yards so far. On our range it will topple a chicken target and a pig target set at fifty yards. It's a hoot to shoot!

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Close