.243 Handi Rifle

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 14 April 2012
800Fahrenheit posted this 07 April 2012

Anyone getting good results with their .243 Handi Rifle?  I'd like to do about 2000 fps with 80-90 grain cast bullets while maintaining 1MOA.

Thanks, 800F 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
800Fahrenheit posted this 12 April 2012

OK... let's try substituting 1800-1900 fps for the 2000 fps above.

Anyone own a .243 H-R?  How 'bout a 25-06 or .280 H-R?  I like the “idea” of the 26” barrel offered in the 25-06 and the 280 and want a chambering “lighter” than .30 that has 1MOA potential.

The other option would be to keep looking for a CVA APEX but they are pretty rare in my neck of the woods (actually, I've never seen one).

Thanks, 800F

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 13 April 2012

You can get 1 MOA with any of those calibers in the Handi. It will take work and a bag of tricks because they are all high volume cases relative to their caliber.

Beyond the most important factor of bullet fit .002-,003” over G to G slugged bore diameter, here is some of the tricks I use:

1) Select a powder that will give your targeted velocity with 80% or more volume of the case capacity of powder at your LOA. That will avoid using ballistic filler for good ignition.

2) Use a Lyman “M” die to both expand your case necks and flare case mouths so your oversize cast bullets are not swaged down when seating them.

3) Polish your bore like I have posted about. Slick shiny bores shoot cast bullets best and Handi-Rifle bores are average quality and not near match bore quality in slickness..

Many of the published loads for cast bullets in those calibers you are looking at in the Lee 2nd and Lyman 4th manuals shoot with only marginal accuracy because they are low volume loads with wide variations from consistent ignition. Using fillers safely and consistently for good ignition is a challenging art to learn. Don't go into it blindly. I use several fillers including BPI original, Precision Reloaders PRPSB and Dacron Polyester batting.

Shooting the smaller calibers in cast generally works best with the heaviest bullets available regardless of the rate twist of your barrel.

In 30 caliber Handi-Rifles the best accuracy comes from the 30-30 because of the long neck and good neck tension of that cartridge that was originally designed to shoot cast bullets and the fact that several powders give 80% or better case capacity loads that are very compatible with load pressures for cast bullets. The 30-30 and H4895 with cast gas checked bullets is pretty hard to beat in the Handi-Rifles in any caliber. If you are looking for top notch accuracy with cast bullets in a Handi-Rifle, the 30-30 is the best choice in my opinion.

The 30-30 Handi is not limited to flat nose bullets like lever rifles in that caliber are limited because of their tubular magazine. In a single shot 30-30 you can shoot the top notch accuracy bullets like the RCBS and Lyman Silhouette molds and they are even great for hunting too because of the small flat nose that starts expansion well on meat with #2 or softer alloy down to straight clip-on wheel weight alloy in those gas checked Silhouette competition molds. Spire and round nose 30 cal cast/ gas checked bullets also shoot excellent in the 30-30 single shot.

Gary

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 13 April 2012

800Fahrenheit wrote: Anyone getting good results with their .243 Handi Rifle?  I'd like to do about 2000 fps with 80-90 grain cast bullets while maintaining 1MOA.

Thanks, 800F  In my opinion, getting a Handi Rifle in 243 to average 1” for 5 groups 5 shot 100 yards with cast bullets is bordering on the impossible. The only problems are the rifle, the barrel and the cartridge. I had a Ruger varmint bolt 243 that shot a 9/16” 100 yard cast bullet 5 shot group the first time out. I shot that gun in the Eastern Mass league matches and Old Colony matches for years. Tried maybe 3-4 molds at various sizes, every trick I could find. It shot light to heavy jacketed bullets <1” all the time. I NEVER shot a cast group <1” again, not one, in hundreds if not thousands of groups. I had that 9/16” group on the wall for ~20 years, until we moved. Good luck, joe b.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 13 April 2012

quote from joeb33050:

"The only problems are the rifle, the barrel and the cartridge."

Those are fixable things Joe. The rifle's biggest issues are trigger pull, barrel whip and bore finish. The cartridge needs bullets engaging the lands and touching the throat, then powder selection for good consistent ignition.

I have Handies that shoot beautifully but all have had trigger jobs, forearm barrel “O” ring shims, weight added to butt stock holes and bore polishing. I have one in .223 Rem with a 1:12 twist that loves the cast Lyman 225646. A 10 shot group at 100 yards from last week:

Attached Files

800Fahrenheit posted this 14 April 2012

joeb33050 wrot I NEVER shot a cast group <1” again, not one, in hundreds if not thousands of groups. I had that 9/16” group on the wall for ~20 years, until we moved. Good luck, joe b. Joe,

You ruined the barrel with those filthy copper patched bullets!

:D

800F

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: quote from joeb33050:

"The only problems are the rifle, the barrel and the cartridge."

Those are fixable things Joe. The rifle's biggest issues are trigger pull, barrel whip and bore finish. The cartridge needs bullets engaging the lands and touching the throat, then powder selection for good consistent ignition.

I have Handies that shoot beautifully but all have had trigger jobs, forearm barrel “O” ring shims, weight added to butt stock holes and bore polishing. I have one in .223 Rem with a 1:12 twist that loves the cast Lyman 225646. A 10 shot group at 100 yards from last week:

Gary Gary,

For the price of admission, I'd be happy with that level of accuracy.  In theory, the .243 should be at least as accurate because the bullets should be easier to cast, I suppose.

800F

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 14 April 2012

The NEF accessory barrel program also offers 7MM08 barrels for the SB-2 Handi actions. That is also a decent cartridge for cast bullets with great accuracy potential under 30 caliber.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: The NEF accessory barrel program also offers 7MM08 barrels for the SB-2 Handi actions. That is also a decent cartridge for cast bullets with great accuracy potential under 30 caliber.

Gary Gary,

I like the idea of a Handi-Rifle in 7-08.  Do you shoot one?

800F AKA LBD (Lead Bullet Don)

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 14 April 2012

800Fahrenheit:

Oh, I wish I had one in 7mm08! That is why I suggested it.

Gary

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 April 2012

800Fahrenheit wrote: Anyone own a .243 H-R?  How 'bout a 25-06 or .280 H-R?  I like the “idea” of the 26” barrel offered in the 25-06 and the 280 and want a chambering “lighter” than .30 that has 1MOA potential.

I've worked up jacketed bullet loads for a NEF 280 with synthetic stocks and a 25-06 H&R with the laminated stocks and both of these with handloads of course and from the bags would keep three in about an inch at 100 yards but that was jacketed never tried cast in either .

Had two of the H&R 20 gauge rifled jobs that shot nice 3 shot groups at 100 yards with factory sabot ammo .

Oh yeah I for awhile owned a Handi Rifle in 444 Marlin . That one shot my jacketed and cast handloads very nicely staying in the 1” to 1 1/2” range for THREE shot groups at 100 yards .

Over the years I got hung up on bench triggers in all my bolt action hunting rifles as well as the pile of Ruger #1's in our saves . But since messing for the last ten years with all the shitty Marlin triggers most of the other stuff ain't that bad . When I can hold one of my 444's in the bags well enough to get three inside an inch at 100 yards the average H&R trigger begins to feel pretty darn good . Now I will say the triggers on the pair of 20 gauge slug guns were actually very nice crisp no creep 3 pound triggers . And the one on the 444 I had was also right at the 3 pound area . Seems to me if my memory isn't failing me the one on my friends 280 wasn't so bad either . But as well as I can remmember the 25-06 could have used some improvement .

As far as the trigger thing goes for bench work the triggers in most of our Ruger #1's aren't all that great either . However I do have one that was rebarreled to 22-250AI in a Lilja barrel with one of the no longer made Canjar triggers that fired the best group I ever shot in my 50+ years of life on this planet . Now I will agree in all likelyhood it was a fluke but it did it nontheless . Got a 3 shot group at 100 yards from the 22-250AI that was .054” !

Now do I think that gun will do it again ? Sure if all 387 moons in the solar system are inline , I weigh below 150 and my networth is above 12 billion dollars . But it did happen once just the same . In all honesty that rifle with the load I shot that day is an honest 1/2 MOA load . But sometimes ya gets some luck ;)

Oh even though I've learned how to shoot shitty triggers , the Canjar on that #1 is set at about 6 ounces , so there ARE sometimes I still want a very nice trigger :cool:

Attached Files

Close