LBT Bullet lube ??

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 March 2013
a.ashpaugh posted this 20 March 2012

Greetings, I am getting ready to order lube after a years supply of Thompson Blue Angle lube(it has worked very well). I am looking at buying a years supply (80 or so sticks) of lube. I have read the info on their website and it sounds great. Does anyone have any experience with this lube? I shoot a lot of big heavy bullets out of several lever action rifles and several different Contender barrels as well. I also shoot several smaller caliber rifles and handguns and this is where the Thompson lube fell just a little short.

Any one have any experience their lube?

Thanks in advance, Tony

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
vmwilson posted this 20 March 2012

I only cast for handguns but I won't use anything but LBT lube.  Like the harder stuff and use a heater.  Look at the match and the various lubes that show up there and LBT is pretty well represented.  If I was looking for rifle accuracy I'd still be inclined to use LBT and I notice maker mentions in his ads that the softer one looks like that might be his choice.

Mike

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 20 March 2012

Only thing I've been able to do wrong with it is use too much. Great stuff.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
a.ashpaugh posted this 22 March 2012

Thanks for the info! It looks like I should get a little and give a go. It sounds pretty good.

Thanks

Attached Files

Revolverman posted this 02 March 2013

Anybody use the blue soft? I've been thinking of it for mid velocity stuff in 45 Colt and 357.

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 02 March 2013

I have used both versions. While I have never done a formal side-by-side comparison, I can't tell any difference in performance. If a lubrisizer is used in an area that's quite warm, heat is not needed for LBT Soft to flow. Otherwise, heat is required just like it is for the original LBT Blue.

If you happen to have a copy of HANDLOADER #257 (Dec. 2008), there's a lube comparison using a .357 Magnum and a .45 ACP (both revolvers). LBT Blue is one of five lubes tested. Not a great difference in accuracy with any of the lubes for the most part, but it remains hard to beat plain old half & half for most handgun loads.

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 March 2013

The Blue soft has been alleged by some “in the know” to be the old “Apache Blue” that Paco Kelly used to offer. I haven't used it myself, but have been told by some really experienced casters that both LBT Soft Blue and Apache Blue are excellent bullet lubes and I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 03 March 2013

anachronism wrote: The Blue soft has been alleged by some “in the know” to be the old “Apache Blue” that Paco Kelly used to offer. I haven't used it myself, but have been told by some really experienced casters that both LBT Soft Blue and Apache Blue are excellent bullet lubes and I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.I have both here in front of me and if true one would never come to that conclusion by using them, looking at them, smelling them or their texture.

Still, I can believe they might have fundamental components in common. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 March 2013

That's good to know. I have never had both of them side by side. Bruce at BRP was my primary source of information on this, but I haven't been in contact with him for ages. Until I get more confirmation, I probably won't share this information again since it may not be accurate.

Attached Files

curator posted this 05 March 2013

Since I live in Florida, I don't need a lubesizer heater. Actually, I air condition my shop so things are not over heated. I have found LBT's blue to be unexcelled for cast bullets at any speed. In fact, when I have leading with Lee Liquid Alox, I shoot a couple of LBT blue-lubed rounds to clean the barrel. The only lube that gives no leading when pushing oven-tempered cast bullets to over 2400fps has been LBT blue. Great stuff!

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 06 March 2013

I had some Apache Blue at one time and had it in my basement for a day. I was then ordered to get it out of the basement and out of the house. Very odoriferous.

I have also used LBT Blue soft and it works great.

Attached Files

Close