1871 Remington Rollingblock

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 15 April 2011
6pt-sika posted this 12 April 2011

A couple years ago Mustapha Curtis wrote me a few letters and told me about making a Rollingblock I believe in 444 Marlin with a faster twist barrel so he could shoot heavier slugs for things like the “Quigley Match” in Forsyth .

And now I'm considering doing the same thing . Well build the rifle that is , but just shoot at 100 and 200 yards .

Anyway for the “Rollingblock Experts” here . Is a typical in decent shape Remington 1871 rollingblock going to be strong enough to handle smokeless loads I would shoot in my 444 Marlin leverguns ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 12 April 2011

I realize probably the easiest and least expensive way to go would be an H&R Handi Rifle already factory chambered for the 444 , but that might not have a twist to suit 425 to 465 graine bullets .

I suppose the next best option if the rollingblock isn't strong enough would be a Ruger #1 . But that kinda kills the cost efficiency thing :P

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 13 April 2011

You might want to check out the info on the Swedish Rolling blocks here: http:/s.gunboards.com/showthread.php?127333-Historical-and-Experimental-Investigations...of-the-8x58R-Danish-Cartridge

These were among the best of the rollers.

Jack

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 April 2011

jhrosier wrote: You might want to check out the info on the Swedish Rolling blocks here: http:/s.gunboards.com/showthread.php?127333-Historical-and-Experimental-Investigations...of-the-8x58R-Danish-Cartridge

These were among the best of the rollers.

Jack Thanks for the information !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 April 2011

I expect the biggest obstacle in this project if I should decide to do it will be finding  a rifle I like at a price I'm willing to pay ;)

May just go with the H&R for simplicity and economics .>

Attached Files

4060may posted this 13 April 2011

A no.5 Rolling Block, with the rotary extractor was originally strong enough for the 7mm Spanish The 1897 chambered in 7mm Spanish has a larger shank and a sliding extractor, also considered a smokeless action. either would work for the 444 I have one available PM if interested

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 April 2011

4060may wrote:   I have one available PM if interested I'll keep that in mind !

Attached Files

Trap4570 posted this 15 April 2011

I've built a few rolling blocks in my time and the favorite caliber people seem to like is the 32-40. It has little recoil and is a very accurate round that is used in matches. It's conservative when it comes to the amount of lead required compared to the larger calibers. The cartridge allows for a lot of experimenting since it can use standard fixed ammo or it can have the throat cut for breech seating bullets. Accuracy is found at around 1400 fps and there is a large selection of powders out there that will achieve the velocity without pressure dangers. The last one I built was on the 71 action with a Green Mountain 28” 1-14 twist barrel. I tapered the barrel to original 11mm military configuration leaving it just a tad thicker than original and used the original wood. Reshaped the barrel bands for the thicker barrel and put a vernier setup for sights. Also mounted Unertl mounts for a 10x scope. Open sights it shoots 3/4 at 100 yards - with the scope it shoots 1 hole. 183 grain NEI mold for the bullet. Effective range is 300 meters and knocks steel with low hits. First time I used the Green Mountain barrel and I am sold on their product.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 April 2011

Trap4570 wrote: I've built a few rolling blocks in my time and the favorite caliber people seem to like is the 32-40. It has little recoil and is a very accurate round that is used in matches. It's conservative when it comes to the amount of lead required compared to the larger calibers. The cartridge allows for a lot of experimenting since it can use standard fixed ammo or it can have the throat cut for breech seating bullets. Accuracy is found at around 1400 fps and there is a large selection of powders out there that will achieve the velocity without pressure dangers. The last one I built was on the 71 action with a Green Mountain 28” 1-14 twist barrel. I tapered the barrel to original 11mm military configuration leaving it just a tad thicker than original and used the original wood. Reshaped the barrel bands for the thicker barrel and put a vernier setup for sights. Also mounted Unertl mounts for a 10x scope. Open sights it shoots 3/4 at 100 yards - with the scope it shoots 1 hole. 183 grain NEI mold for the bullet. Effective range is 300 meters and knocks steel with low hits. First time I used the Green Mountain barrel and I am sold on their product.

I've had a 32-40 or two !

I “want” a 444 single shot .

Attached Files

Trap4570 posted this 15 April 2011

great - what draws you to the .444?

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 April 2011

Trap4570 wrote: great - what draws you to the .444?

Hmmm maybe you should look on the leverguns forum on this website !

I have a thread there pretaining to my two DOZEN rifles chambered for that round and a recent Contender addition for the same thing .

To be honest I like a 32-40 especially in a Marlin 1893 or Stevens 44 1/2 . But I don't wish to spend the money to get more 32-40 brass and dies since I sold all that stuff when I got rid of my last 32-40 .

And the fact that I already own 1500-1700 pieces of brass for the 444 as well as about 50 molds the choice is simple !

I had an H&R Handy rifle a couple years ago in 444 that just might be the route I take as I can get a complete one of those for less then $300 !

Attached Files

Close