OnTarget group size calculator

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 15 February 2012
Wally Enga posted this 02 March 2011

OnTarget group size calculator

Jeff Block has a new updated version of his OnTarget group measuring software that just continues to amaze me with it's accuracy and capability.

If you have any desire to accurately measure group size or even just scan a target and save the analysis of the target as a graphic file and then in a folder on your computer --- rather than sort thru a pile of old targets when you need the load performance info months later --- this will do a great job.

The repetitive accuracy level it can do is incredible --- very comparable to the much more expensive target measuring calipers like the Neil Jones.

Attached below is a scan I did of a CBA “red” target to check how close it could measure the scoring rings on it. The scan was done at a fairly low resolution of 300 dpi which takes about 9 seconds on my scanner.

Increasing this up to 600 dpi will take an additional 8 or 9 secs and isn't needed unless you like to blow up .308 size bullet holes to over baseball size holes and look at the individual fibers of the target paper.

Inputting the fine cross hair in the center of the .308 size circle shown here --- right on the outside edges of the 9 scoring ring (1.440”) is within a  .001” --- I'm amazed they can even print these targets that close to specs.

The resolution you see on your monitor will be a lot better than the image shown below as I reduced the image to only 600 pixels wide and a 60K or so file size so I don't get yelled at by Jeff --- our webmaster for using too much band width. ;)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

This is in a separate msg cause I only know how to attach 1 image per msg.

Just to give you a feeling for how it does on a really small group --- the scan below is of the (0.072”)  X dot on the CBA target.

I used .10 caliber circles on this one so they don't show so huge and again centered the cross hairs on the outside edges of the dot and again is within a .001” or so.

By the way, you don't need a big expensive scanner for this. I'm using a Canon LiDE210 --- delivered price $84 that has way more resolution then I use and will scan groups over 10” in size.  These small scanners don't even have a power cord any more but are powered from the USB cable so easily hook up to your laptop.

Attached Files

Shown below here is a 10 Shot scan from my last trip out to the range with an 1891 Argentine Mauser. By the way, this group is not representative of what I can consistently shoot with this rifle --- I also had groups blown out for wide 8's --- not showing those. :P  The input bullet circles shown here are .308 size.

Attached Files

And a 5 Shot group with that rifle.

This program will also analyze & print out a lot of additional info than just the CTC group size such as group height and width, average distance to point of aim and probably even print out chastising notes --- like were you even looking at the wind flags on that one.:(

Jeff has had a free version of this program out for a few years and I think is still available. This updated version isn't free but is a real bargain at $14.99 and at a intro price of only $11.99 thru March.  He also has a 15 day free trial.

His website is:

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/>http://www.ontargetshooting.com/

Try it --- you will like it.

Wally

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 March 2011

Well Wally I aint gonna yell about band width, but... You can attach multiple files, images by pushing the edit button and using the browse function and simply browse and selecting what you want to add and saving. It will add as many as you would like.. Jeff

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 07 March 2011

I've used OnTarget since it has been available. This is a great shooting tool!

Attached Files

schreibwy posted this 12 March 2011

I just checked the Apple App store, and it isn't available for iPad. Too bad.

Attached Files

James S posted this 13 March 2011

Does OnTarget work with windows 7, Or just Mac?

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 13 March 2011

James S wrote: Does OnTarget work with windows 7, Or just Mac? Hi James

I think it will work with any Windows OS all the way back to Windows 2000.

I've got Windows 7 on my Desktop and Vista on my Laptop and both handle it with no problem.

They have a 15 day trial period so you can check it out at no cost.

Wally

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 14 February 2012

I DLed it about a week ago and have found it very accurate as long as you accurately scale the reference points.

My problem is finding the registration price in the DL so, I don't know what i'm looking at cost wise.

Frank

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 15 February 2012

OnTarget Precision Calculator v2.10 is $11.99 to register. it offers image print that the freeware version does not.

If your interested in their other program: The introductory license fee for OnTarget TDS is $75.00

I use the freeware v.1.10 and really like it.

Gary

Attached Files

Close