Crown work ??

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 28 January 2011
Wayne S posted this 14 January 2011

I have a  custom Contender bbl. that dosen't shoot very well !!

when I drag my finger nail across the bore at the muzzle I feel “burrs/snags".  Anyone have any DIY crown work  tips ?? I'm thinking about useing a 30 Cal. expander ball and stem and some grinding compound  ?? Also herd of useing a steel ball bearing and compound

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 14 January 2011

The best DIY I have used is a brass round headed screw, chucked in a drill, run at low speed. Head diameter of 2X bore size and checked every ten seconds. One screw with fine grade valve grinding compound and another with extra fine. Rotate the drill around the axis of the bore so that it is using the whole head of the screw. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 14 January 2011

ive done the ball bearing trick, worked great for me, i had hot glued a 5/16” ball bearing on the end of a 12” long brass tube, I used fine valve lapping compound, and tryed to make fire, but with alot less downward preshure otherwise the grit just presses out. I whent from a 6” group to a 1/2"

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 January 2011

I have seen gunsmiths use a conical stone on a 1/4 stud and when in the lather they by hand hold this to the crown allowing the conical point to center it in the bore and they run it both ways forward / backward and ta-da.. I have personally done the brass screw thing and it also works.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 14 January 2011

jppr,

That is why you use brass. The grit will imbed and you can use it for many crowns.

Ric

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 14 January 2011

i would have thought that the brass would be ran down more then the barrel never thought of it being impreganated with the grit.

makes sence to think of it.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 14 January 2011

I was sent this off another board , look to th left for “shooting page, then “kissing the crown”  

http://www.varmintal.com/>http://www.varmintal.com/

Attached Files

corerf posted this 19 January 2011

anybody ever hand touchup a 1911 crown??

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 19 January 2011

For a 1911, try using a 5/8 wood dowel and valve compound. Wood wears down to a countersink end and buffs the crown. Don't go crazy with the pressure it will force wood and grit onto ends of rifle and make it worse.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 19 January 2011

Wayne S,

Not asking for a name, but just curious: Is the barrel from a well-known maker or some lesser light?

RT

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 January 2011

The Brownell spiral-cut cylinder chamfer tool has a ball end which can be used with a light touch for removing burrs on a bad crown. We used them routinely in customer service when I was at Ruger. Just don't get heavy handed with it, light cut is all. Inexpensive item to buy for your tool kit.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=678/Product/REVOLVER_DEBURRING_TOOL___CUTTERS>http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=678/Product/REVOLVERDEBURRINGTOOLCUTTERS

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 27 January 2011

raytear wrote: Wayne S,

Not asking for a name, but just curious: Is the barrel from a well-known maker or some lesser light?

RT

RT

Barrel is from “well known” barrel maker, it's a 15" T/C Contender barrel that was chambered ,ect by a “well known” barrel builder

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 27 January 2011

I found a dome shaped semi smooth stone on a 1/4 shaft, blacked the crown with a majic marker and lightly rotated the stone while “wobbleing” the barrel . only took a short time, Nice shinny ring around the bore and no more burrs felt when I drag me finger nail across the bore.

Finally a break in the weather so I'll see if my “work” payed off

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 28 January 2011

Did the previous owner sell you a barrel that shot, or did he sell it because it wouldn't shoot good?

I would wonder why a “well known barrel builder” would chamber a barrel that had a crown problem.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 28 January 2011

Results from my DIY crowning, shot at 100 yds, from the afore mentioned 15” 1-8 twist T/C Contender

Attached Files

Close