Homemade Lube

• 6.4K Views
  • Last Post 31 August 2013
JonB_in_Glencoe posted this 27 October 2010

Has anybody ever heard of using 2 cycle oil with Beeswax for a cast bullet lube ?

some of the new synths should be ideal...right ?

Jon

"you cannot run faster than a bullet" -Idi Amin

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CANADIAN BACON posted this 27 October 2010

HOWDY Better yet, use castor oil. We used Castrol “R” back when, in the 2 smoke machines. It's 100% compatible with Beeswax-I think- and smells nice. Should be perfect for the cold weather in Minnesota.:D

Attached Files

dodgyrog posted this 22 January 2012

I made some with 50/50 Beeswax and 2 stroke fully synthetic oil. It came out a bit soft for my Magma lubesizer so I thickened it up with Thompson Blue Angel and Carnuba flake lube. It works well in the machine and on the boolits.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 January 2012

CANADIAN BACON wrote: HOWDY Better yet, use castor oil. We used Castrol “R” back when, in the 2 smoke machines. It's 100% compatible with Beeswax-I think- and smells nice. Should be perfect for the cold weather in Minnesota.:D

i have a few gallons of very high quality castor oil left from my toy car racing life.  we got by with using 1/3 as much as castrol  etc., very impressive stuff.  if anyone wants to play i would ship a little 2 oz test bottle for a buck shipping cost.  my pm strangely doesnt work, email me at [email protected]... or phone 6413401777.

ken

Attached Files

JonB_in_Glencoe posted this 23 January 2012

email sent to Ken

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 23 January 2012

:coffee   For you gents wanting to thicken lube, there's pure carnuba flakes available sometimes on E-bay.  I just use Carnuba Red from White Label because it suits my routine. 

Attached Files

JonB_in_Glencoe posted this 24 January 2012

Ken Campbell, I got your PM, and tryed to reply...kept getting an error-misspelled user ID. That's weird cause I just hit reply ? I did send an e-mail to the address listed in your post, maybe check your e-mail junk folder as I use a Hotmail address and sometimes it gets filtered into a junk folder. anyway, I guess I'll just respond out in the open.

I am interested in trying some. instead of a 2 oz sample. How about pint container full shipped in a small flat rate box ??? I have shipped liquid lube in a steel IMR gunpowder can...it's about a pint. (be sure to cover up original labels an write on can “LUBRICANT"...the USPS would pop a nut if they thought is was gunpowder). Let me know how much $$$ I can pay via paypal or sent you a personal check or USPS Money order if you require it. I did get your PO mailing address in the PM, I just need to know the amount $$$ OR I'll just send a buck and go from there. I have lots of feedback on the websites: castboolits.com and ammobrasstrader.com I wish I was closer to Podunk Iowa...I'd stop by and buy a whole gallon. I am in Minnesota.   thanks, JonBinGlencoe  

Attached Files

JonB_in_Glencoe posted this 24 January 2012

I got the PM Ken. I'll be sending the funds with PO address thanks, Jon

PS: Podunk IA ..really, that's funny.

Attached Files

mikld posted this 26 January 2012

JonBinGlencoe wrote: Has anybody ever heard of using 2 cycle oil with Beeswax for a cast bullet lube ?

some of the new synths should be ideal...right ?

Jon Yes, I use that recipe on my Lyman 429421 in .44 Magnums. Three parts beeswax to one part synthetic 2-cycle oil, by weight. It also has worked in my .357 Mag., Lyman 158  gr. SWC with max loads of True Blue and no leading. Lately I've been putting in one tsp. of Caranuba flakes per lb. of mix, but haven't recorded any results yet...

Attached Files

QuickRick posted this 27 January 2012

I am just gearing up to try this mixture myself. I have heard that Husqvarna XP semi synthetic 2 stroke oil works great and I just bought some yesterday. I expect to pick up some beeswax from a local vendor in the next couple days and then I'll be good to go.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 January 2012

4:1 of beeswax and ATF works well too.

If you have trouble finding beeswax, you can use equal parts by liquid volume of Vaseline and paraffin wax, then THREE or four parts of that mixture to ONE part of ATF. 3:1 is a nice consistency for pan lubing, 4:1 works better through the RCBS Lub-o-Matic.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

JonB_in_Glencoe posted this 28 January 2012

Ken, I got your PM. I'll keep you informed.

You should try to get you PM issues resolved. Jon

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 June 2012

Jon, good luck on the castor. Let us know how it turns out.

I've tested some 2-cycle oils. Stihl Ultra is a very good oil. Lawnboy is nothing but pure miserable crap.............Dan

Attached Files

10 Spot Terminator posted this 26 June 2012

If you need to stiffen up the lube and want to add a touch of carnuba just go the supermarket and try some of that fancy cheese you always wanted to taste as long as it is packed in the red wax. Guess what that red wax is ... I happen to like the Happy Cow little mini discs and save the red cases just for that reason.

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 31 August 2013

I've used a mix of 4:1 beeswax to oil using Amsoil full synthetic 100:1 outboard oil. Adding a bit of paraffin or caranuba to stiffen it slightly for warmer weather. I've used it a lot in 22 centerfire and 6 mm cartridges. So far I've been very pleased with its performance. I haven't tried it with larger caliber bullets yet. I got the idea from using the oil as a sprue plate lubricant (in place of Bullplate) and noticing it seems to be less affected by heat than most oils. A little goes a long way for that application. The consistency is very similar to Speed Green bullet lube that is in the bullet lube recipe thread on castboolits.

Edd

Attached Files

Close