So is 2400 a good choice for cast bullets

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 27 September 2010
jh45gun posted this 21 July 2010

<b>So is 2400 a good choice for cast bullets</b>                                                                                    OK I posted at an other forum about my model 95 in 45/70 and  mentioned my load was 24 grains of 2400 with a 405 grain cast bullet. I  got this rebuttle after I had posted I use 2400 for all my cast bullet  loads I use 17 grains for the 30/30 with a 180 grain cast bullet also  and use that same bullt in my 06 (20 grains of 2400) and for my K31 same  load as the 06. 

Well, it's your face. 2400 is a slow pistol powder, it can be used in the .30 carbine. It makes for a very, very fast rifle powder. If you want reduced loads in 30/30 or 30-06 Unique is a much better choice with lead bullets. It's faster but develops less pressure. For the 45-70 use black powder or a substitute for reduced loads. We don't allow powder load wights because typo's are common.

So now I am wondering is 2400 a Good choice I always figured it was.

I started with 2400 because of Ed Harris's articles I still figure its ok my loads do not show any pressure signs.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 21 July 2010

The quote you gave is the the standard line from those folks who get their experience from reading the grocery store “gunzines".

Go back to the home of this BB and read the list of what many are using in Military rifle matches, including records. Then you decide.

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

I know its good I just wanted others opinions so I can go back there and say that the general consensus is that 2400 is a good powder for cast bullets. I already said there that it is a loading in the lyman books and that ED Harris has used a lot of it and has shot a lot of bullets down range according to his articles.

Attached Files

Just for the record I am not posting this to bash the other forum member that posted that comment I just want other comments just so I can go back and say the general consensus is its a safe powder when used right in 45/70 and other calibers.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 21 July 2010

I for one consider it to be one of the best powders for medium cast bullets loads in a wide range of calibers. Been using it for 40+ years in all sorts of cast bullet loads and would bet that there is a number of people on this forum that have used it longer than that!

Attached Files

Maven posted this 21 July 2010

Not a thing wrong with it!:)

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 21 July 2010

2400 is a great powder, then again, I load handguns and keep SR4759 and IMR4198 for rifle.  But I can't say it isn't a good powder, the 41 mags I have shoot it, so does the 32-20.  I like 2400 magnum powder (that's the real title).

Ron

Attached Files

JSH posted this 21 July 2010

jh45gun, what you have had happen doesn't suprise me at all. That is why most times when trying to help a body out, I just send it in a PM. I have my own thoughts on powders and will keep them to myself, most of the time. The comment you got on using unique rather than 2400, is imho, just stupid. THOUGH one has to be careful using these so as not to double charge. I just don't understand how the person can state that one is any better saftey wise than the other? Anyway, I myself would pay no attention to the persons comments. I think any comment back to them may also just cause more issues. I have seen this kind of subject cause issues more than once. jeff

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 22 July 2010

After posting a copy of Eds Article on Cast Bullets and Milsurps it opened up some of their eyes.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 July 2010

jh45gun wrote: ... I got this rebuttle after I had posted I use 2400 for all my cast bullet loads.....Unique is a much better choice with lead bullets. It's faster but develops less pressure... I hope this isn't in the solid rocket fuel business.  

Faster burning powders rise to peak pressure more quickly. Their use must generally be limited to light charges at lower velocity and pressure.  You will get less velocity at the same pressure level because the weight of the powder charge and total volume of gas generated is less.  There is no free lunch. This kind of misinformation simply contributes another chapter to the How to Blow Up Your Gun saga... 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 22 July 2010

At the 07 Military National Tournament there were 28 shooters and 2 used 2400 (15 used 5744). At the 08 event there were 26 shooters and it had 5 using 2400 and 4 using 5744. In 2010 there were 28 shooters where 8 used 2400 and 3 used 5744. Despite the choice of powder appearing to be be somewhat regional, the frequency of use of 2400 certainly isn't indicative of a bunch of unsafe crazies.

Internet experts aren't always what they appear to be.

Tom

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 22 July 2010

some good advice here I started using 2400 when I read Ed's article on milsurps the only load that I shoot that exceeds the load books is my 17 grains of 2400 for my 30/30 with I would suspect a 170 grain bullet since I use straight WW they normally drop lighter then the weight the mold is supposed to drop which is a 180 grain mold. The same alloy gives me ten less grains with the 45/70 my bullets drop 395 instead of 405. I get no primer issues and the cases slide right out so I have to figure they are not too hot for my gun. It is interesting that the Lyman load book #42 list 16 grains as a top load for a 170 grain cast bullet and 20 grains for a 165 grain cast bullet.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 July 2010

In my experience the Lyman cast bullet data for #2400, while it may be safe, is excessive for best accuracy. As a general rule in any .30 cal. rifle of 7.62x39 or .30-30 capacity and larger, you can start at 10 grains with a 150-gr. plainbased bullet, up to about 12 grs. before a GC is needed. In most .30 calibers using GC bullets of 150 grs. or heavier, you can start at 12 grs. in small cases such as the 7.62x39 and work up to about 15 grs. max. in the 7.62x39 and 16 grs. in the .30-30.

In the .308 Win., .30-40 Krag, .30-'06, 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R I start in the range of 15-16 grs. with any standard weight bullet (150-200) for the caliber. There is seldom any need to increase the charge over 20 grs. in the '06. Even at 200 yards I find the sweet spot normally falls around 15-1/2 to 16 grs. with 180-210 grain bullets such as #311299.

I use only Winchester primers.  With others your mileage may vary.  NO FILLERS!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 24 July 2010

Thanks for the info Ed. I found that the 17 grain load shoots very good in my 30/30 and the 20 grain load shoots very well in my 06 and my K31. Of course like you say milage may vary. I prefer Win primers too but when primers were hard to get I did wind up with some CCI and I have some older Remington primers I have been shooting up that have worked well too.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 24 July 2010

just today i tested 18 grs 2400 in my 308 with the rcbs silh boolit with win large pistol primers. the rcbs 150 fngc was also tested and the rifle definately did not like this boolit. however. i have found my new load for this rifle. woo hoo. it actually tied the fillered load i had been using over a two month trial. i like simple.

Attached Files

wildcatter posted this 07 August 2010

:^:;)

Attached Files

docbob posted this 07 August 2010

As usual, Ed is right on. I shoot 16 grains in .30-06, .303, and the 7.62x54R. I too use Winchester primers and get good accuracy behind my GC bullets. 2400 powder has been loaded for many years behind cast bullets in almost all rifle cartridges.

Doc

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 08 August 2010

I use 2400 in some of my cast for rifle and also for my 410 loads. I know some are set in there own ways and think everyone should use that and only that . I say what works for you use it. I know each gun has its own way of shooting. 2 of the same make and model will not shoot the same. That is why I reload and see what the gun likes the best . Some will like one kind of powder better then orthers . But use what you like to use and go from there. I have learn alot on this site more ways then one.

Attached Files

vintage sportsman posted this 27 September 2010

Hi guys, just joined today. I was introduced to cast bullets by an old timer (mid 70s) who has shot more guns and ammo than most. The first load he taught me was for my Mauser - 16gr. of 2400 with a Lyman 170 gr.rn. I started casting my own bullets and loading them up this summer so I am a greenhorn. I can presently shoot a 1.250” @ 100 with my limited skills and that because of a flyer! am convinced that that Mauser and load is more accurate than I am. No signs of pressure issues and I shoot each round “Single shot” tipping the round up to 12 0'clock and inserting manually.Not quite sure I am comfortable using kapok or some other filler to hold powder tight...anyway, great to be here, see ya round!

Attached Files

Close