loading data for heavy 375 winchester

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 17 August 2010
shdwlkr posted this 26 June 2010

I have some 350 grain .375 caliber flat nose bullets that I would like to use in my 375 winchester only catch is there is no data for that weight bullet.
I have one load but don't have the powder so I am looking at some other powders and some ideas of where to start. Not looking for a hot load but a safe load.
Powders I have are 4198,3031,reloader 7, 4831 any ideas would be great. thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 26 June 2010

you could call the Sierra hotline and ask them if they have any cast bullet data for 350 grains. i-800-something and easily found on the web.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 27 June 2010

If you are willing to use the data at your own risk, I would be happy to run the particulars through QuickLOAD to see what it spits out.

Despite having an extensive bullet data base, I can find no .375", 350-grain flat nose bullet. I do see a Woodleigh round nose, that is all. Tell me about your bullet. If it is not a common brand, I will need you to measure the length and tell me the cartridge OAL you will be using.

You stated that you are not “looking for a hot load but a safe load.” The 375 Win is a 63.8K PSI, in that the 375 is just a 30-30 case, it is going to take some pressure to push that chunk of metal out the barrel. What kind of pressure limit you looking for?

I've been around the block quite a bit with the 375 Win, may be more than most fellows. Leverguns, you didn't say what rifle you are shooting, have generous throats to relieve the high pressure generated by this cartridge. More than likely, this bullet will be limited by overall length. It will be sunk deep in the case and there is a possibility that the case will expand enough that it will not chamber. Have you looked at that yet?

Attached Files

shdwlkr posted this 27 June 2010

Michael I have one load already and looking for others that will work. Yes it is a lever action rifle actually two one with a short barrel and one with a long barrel. I am not at home this week because one of my children has a  major operation that we had to travel to get done. I will get the information back to you when I get home. As to the depth the bullet has to in the case I am not sure but the load I have was worked up in a lever action 375 winchester so I am sort of sure it will work. I am not looking to set the house on fire with this so if it only goes 1000-1200 fps or maybe even slower who cares. What I am looking for is a beginning point and yes you would be very much appreciated if you could help me. the bullet is an LBT design but at 350 grains instead of the 300 that I have seen in the LBT list. I am getting  a mold from LBT built on the 300 grains and see this as being the max for the case caliber for real use. Pressure limit of around 50,000 would be nice if I can stay that low. I am not looking for a long range round here more for fun round. I know in the one load I have that it opens up to 70 caliber and I think that was in 30-50 yards so it is not going to travel any long distances but as an up close round it has potential to knock over some cans or watermelons if you like.

thanks

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 28 June 2010

Are you sure the 14” (or is it 12") twist will stabilize that long a bullet at BP velocities?

My Winchester worked OK for jacketed 300's, but of course, they penciled through without any expansion. I only got 1,550fps due to the long bullet robbing case capacity which, of course, was due to OAL restrictions allowing extraction of a loaded round.

Attached Files

shdwlkr posted this 28 June 2010

Daryl S the twist is 1 in 12 and yes they stablize as I have one load that works and I am looking for more powder choices. 1500fps or even a little less would be fine as I am not using this to hunt with more of fun load. I am not shooting a black powder firearm, this for use in a .375 winchester big bore model 94. Pressures can be up to 50,000 cup and 61000 psi or the other way round I don't have my information with me so I am just remembering and that can get you into trouble.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 29 June 2010

shdwlkr wrote: Michael I have one load already and looking for others that will work. Yes it is a lever action rifle actually two one with a short barrel and one with a long barrel. I am not at home this week because one of my children has a  major operation that we had to travel to get done. I will get the information back to you when I get home. As to the depth the bullet has to in the case I am not sure but the load I have was worked up in a lever action 375 winchester so I am sort of sure it will work. I am not looking to set the house on fire with this so if it only goes 1000-1200 fps or maybe even slower who cares. What I am looking for is a beginning point and yes you would be very much appreciated if you could help me. the bullet is an LBT design but at 350 grains instead of the 300 that I have seen in the LBT list. I am getting  a mold from LBT built on the 300 grains and see this as being the max for the case caliber for real use. Pressure limit of around 50,000 would be nice if I can stay that low. I am not looking for a long range round here more for fun round. I know in the one load I have that it opens up to 70 caliber and I think that was in 30-50 yards so it is not going to travel any long distances but as an up close round it has potential to knock over some cans or watermelons if you like.

thanks

My hope is that your child is doing okay, first and foremost!

I ended up being gone two days so when you get ready just let me know. The bullet diameter and length plus the overall length of the cartridge is all I need.

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 07 July 2010

shdwlkr - the reason I stated BP velcoties was your reference to 1,000fps to 1,200fps - those are BP velocities. I was well aware you were talking about a Big Bore 94 Winchester - or maybe a Marlin.

A place to start might be with Trail Boss - full case the bottom of the seated bullet. It would be a fun plinking load.

In other powders, due to the deap seating of the bullet, about all the H4895 or Varget you could get into the case below the bullet would probably be a safe place to start, but - on the caution end of things, anything under that, perhaps 70% would make a better 'first shot' test. Because of the reduced powder capacity, I'd wager pressures would be low.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 08 July 2010

Try old loads for 38-55 - very similar case and generally lower pressure. Grouch

Attached Files

shdwlkr posted this 04 August 2010

Ranch dog the needed information to have you run it through your Quickload software are bullet diameter is.377 just ahead of the crimp groove it is .379 bullet length is 1.264 OAL of the cartridge is 2.55 Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you but at 100 plus degrees in the garage where my stuff is I don't spend a lot of time there this time of year.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 05 August 2010

Here you go! I've attached four pdf files containing the data. USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I've run the data for the Winchester Big Bore 375 using your bullet data. The Pmax for the 375 Win is 63.8K PSI . Published data uses Nominal Maximum Pressure (NMP), 15% under Pmax, as pressures vary just like velocity do. NMP insures that pressures do not vary beyond Pmax. I used a maximum case density of 105% for two reasons. First, beyond that compression level many powders become unpredictable. Second, with cast bullets I find that beyond 105% density I cannot move the cartridge from the bullet seating stage to the crimp stage without the bullet sliding forward because of the lube and compression. Case density of 86% was the minimum looked at. With such a large bullet seated in such a small case, the density limit is quickly reached.

When generating the data, NMP was 55.8K PSI (...Max.pdf). The max chart contains anything from this PSI down with case densities from 86% to 105%.

I ran two additional charts (...50KPSI.pdf and ...40KPSI.pdf), these list only powders and charges that produce the target PSI. If a powder isn't listed it is because it fell outside the case density requirements. With such a small area left for powder the 105% would knock them out of making the list.

It seems like 1450 FPS was a mid-road velocity range. So I ran that to (...1450FPS.pdf). Again, if a powder isn't listed it is because it couldn't do it within the case density limitation.

Finally, when working with the ...Max.pdf chart, do not exceed the listed velocity. There are variations between given lots of powders and this rule of thumb should keep you within the NMP.

This is just a sample of what QuickLOAD can do, it leaves all published data in the stone age.

Attached Files

shdwlkr posted this 05 August 2010

Michael First thanks so much for the information. Now a few questions Are the loads listed the ideal charge or max charge? Is the 1450fps chart the best charge for that speed on my bullet? I am not interested in the hottest load for this bullet just one to have fun with so if the 1450 fps pdf will give me that then I am one happy person. Are these max loads so I should start at something like 15% less as a starting load. I have never worked with Quickload so I am not sure what I am looking at and it is so much easier to ask then get hurt by assuming anything. I have on order a 300 grain bullet for this rifle as it seems to be a little shorter and more in line with the caliber. When I get it I would like to send the information to you so we can see what Quickload says is a good load. thank you again for the information. stew

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 05 August 2010

Stew, As far as where to start, use Max as the reference. I would go straight to any load that is at least 10% less than the charges listed on Max.pdf. Your max and start charges look something like this:

Pwdr  Max   Start RLD7  25.5  22.9 3031  24.7  22.2 4198  23.7  21.3 4831  25.3  22.8

If you wanted to try RLD7 at 1450 FPS (22.0-grains), the load that produces that velocity is less than 10% max so I would go right to it. Same for IMR4198, the suggested load for 1450 FPS is 21.3, the same as what I would suggest for starting with.

The max load chart is exactly that. The others are simply to give you some velocity/pressure comparisons.

Attached Files

shdwlkr posted this 05 August 2010

Michael thanks Just to give you something to think about the load I was given with AA 2230 was 28.5 grains which seemed hot to me and your pdf showing 55839 psi stops at 28.3 grains so I am very happy that I asked for more information before loading any rounds. Thanks so much for the help stew

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 06 August 2010

Good luck Stew. Take it slow and let us know how it goes!

Attached Files

JSH posted this 06 August 2010

I know other here dislike the sruff, but, from what I have read of what you are after, trail bosss meets all your needs. No muss no fuss. There are several other powders out there that would alos come out a bit better for a plinking type round with accepatable accuracy. I think anyone that fools with CB's much at all should have at least a few pounds of Unique or SR 4759 on hand. In my 375 I use SR4759 with lymans accuracy load for the 38-55, this was with a lighter bullet thoug also, 264, forget the #. I hate to see guys try to use or force feed a case , a powder just because that is what they have on hand. And end up with mediocure results. jeff

Attached Files

shdwlkr posted this 09 August 2010

Jeff First I am using this heavy bullet as a fun round and fps is only interesting nothing more. I don't want to blow up my rifle so if it goes 1450 fps or 1600 fps and is fun to shoot I don't care. I have a 300 grain LBT model on order that will end up being my serious heavy bullet in my .375 winchester. yes to the having unique on the shelf

Ranch Dog The going slow is easy as my free time is almost non existent due to other things taking priority. I will definitely let you know what I find with the 350 grain and the 300 grain LBT bullets. I like Veral's bullets and have a few of his molds. Now for the bad part you have convinced me I need the Quickload software so there goes some more money down the old pipe. Thanks, seriously I can finally see where it is a must have if you are going to reload and shoot lead bullets.

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 17 August 2010

I have a whack of 310gr. FN's I'd like to try in my .375 Winchester. RanchDog - thanks for that data as it will give me an idea for extropolating where to start - low of course. I'm hoping to get something on the order of 1,500fps, maybe 1,600fps for a deer/bear/moose load. The little rifle is fun to pack at 6 pounds with the sling. I'd like to use it as long as I can still see the sights.

shdwlkr - thanks for getting me fired up about shooting the 'little' rifle again.

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 17 August 2010

deleted double post

Attached Files

Close