What to do with Dross?

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 22 June 2010
Joe B. posted this 15 June 2010

In reading about melting & fluxing lead what do you do with the dross after you have skimmed it off & the dross container is full? Dross as I interpret it is slag & contaminents that are eliminated from the lead before casting. Is there a use for them after skimming>

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pete Voss posted this 16 June 2010

It's been a while since I've done it but a local salvager used to take my dross. Maybe that was only because it had a lot of bullet jacket material in it. Maybe the hazardous waste dept. at the local dump/landfill will take it.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 16 June 2010

I live in a rural area, so not a lot of imposed environmental pressure here.  I use a gallon coffee can, the old tin kind.  When it gets full of clips and dross, I just empty it into the dumpster. Does just go to the landfill. Usually, it's not a solid mass anyway with all those clips mixed in so, it scatters out all over the bottom of the dumpster.  I don't think it hurts anything at all.  If you're in some city, teeming with nosey neighbors, this may not be for you.

Ron

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 June 2010

After it is cool, I put it in a plastic one gallon pail and pour it full of plaster of paris. After it hardens, it goes into the trash.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 17 June 2010

I like the “good neighbor policy” - I save mine in a box and take it to the hazardous waste dump. They have “freebies” a couple of times a year. I tell them exactly what it is and it is disposed of properly.

Dale53

Attached Files

Joe B. posted this 17 June 2010

All good advice but Dale you are more correct I guess in view of todays air quality. Up here in these Sawtooth Mountains there isn't a hazardous waste dump. I guess Biose has one but I will have to check--a long trip but probably the best. Thanks.

Attached Files

303Guy posted this 17 June 2010

What exactly is the hazzardous nature of the dross?  Is it just the metalic lead in it? Mine is mostly yellow powder although today my pot is forming red powder.  (There may be particles of metalic alloy in it though but that could be removed and recycled).

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 17 June 2010

Oxides of the metals but also, if you use wheel weights, residuals from any number of hazardous materials that were on the weights.

Attached Files

FAsmus posted this 18 June 2010

303Guy:

You ask:

What exactly is the hazzardous nature of the dross?  Is it just the metalic lead in it? Mine is mostly yellow powder although today my pot is forming red powder.  (There may be particles of metalic alloy in it though but that could be removed and recycled).

Forrest:

Watch it whenever messing with brightly colored dross - you are looking at lead oxide. (That is why it is used in paint ~ it makes very pretty colors quite cheaply)

You can actually eat metallic lead with little problems but your body will metabolize lead oxide and you may get very sick!

Good morning, Forrest

Attached Files

Joe B. posted this 18 June 2010

Thanks forrest from sloe joe--I'm learning more every day. This is one lesson I would hate to learn the hard way.

Attached Files

303Guy posted this 18 June 2010

You can actually eat metallic lead with little problems but your body will metabolize lead oxide and you may get very sick! Thanks for that, Forrest.  I had never realized that!:shock:  And it forms quite a fine dust too - easy to get it airborne!

303Guy

Attached Files

FAsmus posted this 22 June 2010

You fellows are very welcome!

After all, we are in the business of increasing the population of bullet casters - not putting us in  harm's way.

Good morning, Forrest

Attached Files

Close