Post the meplat "size".

• 3.1K Views
  • Last Post 08 June 2010
Changeling posted this 20 May 2010

Basically, bullet weight relates to penetration, and meplat size relates to wound channel size. It is somewhat more involved than this, but if everyone can give the meplat size/bullet weight/velocity it would give a terrific picture of what you are shooting, and the effect on the game. Without these figures, it doesn't really mean a lot.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tycer posted this 21 May 2010

21 Bhn plain base 207 grain .360” with a .287” meplat @ 1850 fps makes a 3/4” hole with 40"+ pentration through bone and tissue. Several animals taken.

14 Bhn gas checked 450 grain .458” with a .360” meplat @ 1675 fps makes a 1 1/4” hole with complete penetration through bone and tissue. Two whitetail taken broadside.

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 21 May 2010

WOW, now that tells the story! Now if everyone did as you it would add so much more excitement and realism. Thanks a lot.

BTW, I have hunted the BR mountains many times years ago when I had access to a very large parcel of private land, it was AWESOME!

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 02 June 2010

Tycer wrote: 21 Bhn plain base 207 grain .360” with a .287” meplat @ 1850 fps makes a 3/4” hole with 40"+ pentration through bone and tissue. Several animals taken.

14 Bhn gas checked 450 grain .458” with a .360” meplat @ 1675 fps makes a 1 1/4” hole with complete penetration through bone and tissue. Two whitetail taken broadside.

Tycer, I am totally surprised, I would have thought that people that  use there Revolvers for hunting, would have jumped all over this post.  Accuracy and killing efficiency relative to meplat size.  Thanks for the answer, maybe it will get people thinking.

Evidently they are more interested in the act of hunting than figuring out what meplat size/accuracy for the game they are pursuing would produce the most humane killing of the animal!  /images/emoticons/134.gif

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 02 June 2010

If I'm not mistaken, the original Keith meplat was 65-75% of the bullet diameter.  This was the supposed 'sweet spot' that produced the best wound channel for hunting.  I just read something on Keith style bullets somewhere to that effect.

Ron

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 03 June 2010

The Latest Fouling Shot has an article which discusses this.

"NEI's Listing of Kieth,,,Marshall,,,"

These two legends found 63-73% (as stated)

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 03 June 2010

Thanks, Vassal.  You've become a good caster, I don't always remember where I read things. In dire need of a weekend off!

Ron

Attached Files

GLynn41 posted this 04 June 2010

I am the new kid on the block first post-- I use a .331 meplat in a 255 gr .411 bullet- normally makes around an inch hole in whitetails and in one 250# Russian style boar-- shot clean through him at 40 yards --the holes inside him were smaller and more closed up but not so in the skin --velocity was 1340 Used a .32 again on whitetails -- .70+ holes 240 gr mv was 1360 used a Lyman 410459 again on whitetails could be as big as .70 in the heart smaller in skin and other muscle meplat .255 mv est to be about 1250-1300

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 June 2010

To keep peace I'll be removing personal attack posts from now on, even my own.

I'm not a hunter but Veral Smith's book “Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets” has a chapter devoted to how meplat size and velocity relate to wound channel size which people that I've heard from seem to agree with.

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 05 June 2010

pat i. wrote: To keep peace I'll be removing personal attack posts from now on, even my own.

I'm not a hunter but Veral Smith's book “Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets” has a chapter devoted to how meplat size and velocity relate to wound channel size which people that I've heard from seem to agree with.   Does this mean you will be deleting posts like this?

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 June 2010

Don't see any personal attack or name calling so no need to remove either of our posts and I'll repeat my suggestion of getting a copy of Veral's book and reading his ideas about meplat diameter and displacement velocity. Good read and it sounds like solid information.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 06 June 2010

Hey Pat! Where have you been? Good to 'see' you again. I confess I haven't thought about the technical side of meplats for hunting, more of a generalist I guess, small=not so good, big=better. But then I haven't hunted that much with cbs, I think it's more prevelant east of the Missippi.

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 08 June 2010

pat i. wrote: Don't see any personal attack or name calling so no need to remove either of our posts and I'll repeat my suggestion of getting a copy of Veral's book and reading his ideas about meplat diameter and displacement velocity. Good read and it sounds like solid information.

I have a copy of Verals book. His advise is to always go with the largest meplat for your caliber.

But I would like to know what others have found out through experience.

Attached Files

Close