what is a good bullet for a 1903-A3

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 24 May 2010
jppr26 posted this 04 April 2010

i recently got a sporterized o3a3 and can't get the results i want with 170gr gc boolits what would you guys sugest, im watning to use this rifle for plinking and hunting.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Balhincher posted this 04 April 2010

I would suggest looking at the results of the military matches in the “Fouling Shot” for 03-A3 rifles for a starting point to develop a good accurate plinking load.  The September-October issue last fall has data for the national tournment and a wealth of loading information.  A lot of the shooters load with Al 2400 or AA5744 with 170 to 200 grain bullets for their '06s. 

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 05 April 2010

I've had good luck with just about any bullet I've tried in my old 1903A3. The key is first, a good, thorough decoppering. No telling how many thousands of jacketed rounds have been thru it. Next, slug the bore and throat. Bullet fit is what will determine you eventual results.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 05 April 2010

you didn't say how fast you were pushing those bullets. I get excellent accuracy at 1500 fps.

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 05 April 2010

I've had good results with the Lyman 314299 cast of wheel weights and water quenched. I shoot them over 12 grains of Red Dot for a velocity of 1650 out of my 1903A3.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 06 April 2010

i was hoping to get in the 1500-1800 fps range, i don't have a cronograph so im realy not shure when i will get or excead that, and i don't get the fouling shot, all ive been loading off of is my lyman cast book but i havent gotten to where i want. which is 2"- groops at 150-200 yards.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 06 April 2010

A 2” group @ 150yds is 1.5MOA, @ 200yds, 1MOA. Don't we all wish. Maybe you should lower your expectations. A hunting plinking load, I shoot for 2.5MOA and damn happy to get it. Your criteria is more in line with a target load, which will require extensive work, to include weight-sorting cases, bullets, neck-sizing, checking run-out, matching throat profile (diameter, length and leade angle) and a host of other factors that go into a 1 to 1.5MOA target load from an old military warhorse.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 06 April 2010

:thinking:Has anyone tried the Lyman 311644 in an '03 or 03-A3 and gotten decent results?

That is the bullet designed a few years ago to match the ball seat angle/diameter of most .30'06 or .308 rifles. Also has lube grooves on the nose section.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 06 April 2010

good point dollarbill i hadn't thought about that maby i should just take what i can get, so far with just load development i have done on it i have goten about 1” groups at 50yrds best.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 07 April 2010

Before I restored my A3, I could bust 5 milk jugs in a row @ 100yds from the seated position. Lots of fun. That's with the cheapest set of Marble folding iron sights imagineable. I laugh now “cause after the shot, the rear sight flopped over. So I'd cycle the action, flip the sight back up, then concentrate on making the shot. Just a Lyman 311041 over 17 gr H2400. That's was 3 to 3.5 MOA load off the bench.

Attached Files

chboats posted this 08 April 2010

I have had the best results with the Saeco 315. It is a tapered bulets that works well in warn throats and over sized bores. Which my 03A3 has both.

Carl

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 08 April 2010

raytear, I have that mold and mine doesn't cast large enough about .309 I did recently “Beagle” it and that did open it up some about .3105 maybe .311 in a few spots but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 08 April 2010

Are you able to view the result of the military shoots on the main forum page?  It also included the tech sheets.

If you can't view them, it's worth the price of membership

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 April 2010

raytear, I have used the '644 in a 4 groove '03 and shot it at the 2006 Nationals. It is a fine 100 yard bullet, but didn't do as well for me at 200 yards. HTH< Ric

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 20 April 2010

I have used the old Lyman #31141 with both SR-4759 and AA XMP-5744 in my 03-A3.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 20 April 2010

Thanks for the info re: 311644 experiences.

RT

Attached Files

skeet1 posted this 20 May 2010

I have been using the Lee 312-185 sized .311 in My 03-A3 with good success. Hope this helps.

Skeet1

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 21 May 2010

Dear Plumber, what a pity you are still without a cheap ,but indispensible Shooting Chrony.You get invaluable info on what your loads are doing.Expecially while you are searching for a velocity level of your choice.

I have a rem 03A3,with two barrels,a pitted 4 grooved one and a mint new ( when I bought it) two grooved barrel.

The two grooved one Shoots everything under two MOA,without effort,while the pitted 4 groove barrel preferred heavy Loverin bullets with lots of grease.

It is my opinion that up to 1500 fps any decent design bullet,of decent calber and not too out of round, can shoot well, that is :under two moa.

Up to 1800,you need hard bullets and lots of lube,Loverin bullets or NRA ALOX plus LLA.,and slower powders.

The 311644 never shot decent groups in several 30 caliber of mine. 

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 21 May 2010

giorgio de galleani wrote: The two grooved one Shoots everything under two MOA,without effort,while the pitted 4 groove barrel preferred heavy Loverin bullets with lots of grease.

Up to 1800,you need hard bullets and lots of lube,Loverin bullets or NRA ALOX plus LLA.,and slower powders.

Do you fit the bullet to the throat? I find fitting the bullet is necessary for any decent accuracy. I use Eagan taper dies and spend a lot of time getting the bullet fitted AND seal the throat. My experiences suggest that there will be lots of leading if the bullet does not seal the throat when the round is chambered.

Jim

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 22 May 2010

I am too lazy to fit or bump bullets,it's  one of my own defects.

I shoot large diameter bullets. in the 30-06 and the other military  small calibers calibers  of the end of the XIX century .

I shoot 311 bullets in the .30, and 314   in the 303 and Mosin and 311 in the 30WCF.

As large a bullets as possible,with  loaded rounds easly chambering.

The forepart must be as large as possible,to be engraved by the lands.

I like NEI #72 Ed Harris design ,Saeco       ,another NEI 315 180,and  in my 17 Enfields a custom aluminum mould ,made by a gentleman who was in Merril Marauders,that Ed sent me. Not to mention JohnDog 30WCF bullet,sized 311.

I stay away like they were the plague from  the undersize nose bullets that come from some of the big mould sellers.

I try to get a bullet that fits the troat as it comes from the mould.

That is using the same idea of Cityboy,without having to work too much on the bullet.

I have a nice 200 plus grains bullet ,as cast  band diameter.3155 that I cast from a wonderful LBT 4 cavity mould.

The idea was of using a legal 10 shot Jungle carbine on my beloved boars.

But the SMLEs of mine,Wont feed this flat nose beauty.It feeds only in a Lee Speed Sporter that lays in a Novara Gun Shop at an exorbitant price.And should not be ruined in the Appennine hills in the rainy season.

I was then compelled to get a Mosin 44 carbine,that feeds the Flat nose torpedo.

My idea now is to neck ream the Mosin to be able to feed the rounds loaded with a 315 bullet ,and then ream the throat to 316 to be able to accept  long rounds,where the gas check does protrude into the powder chamber of the case.

As you can see I am lazy in the castng and lubing the bullets,not in fussing with the rifle.

Many  trails  bring to the dogmatic truth of fitting the bullet to the throat. 

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 24 May 2010

giorgio de galleani wrote: Dear Plumber, what a pity you are still without a cheap ,but indispensible Shooting Chrony.You get invaluable info on what your loads are doing.What a very good point, Sir. I, too, am without such a valuable tool. I see a Chrony F1 is a mere $75 US. There was a time when such luxuries were out of my reach, but now, there is no excuse, when my children spend that much on a pair of shoes!

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close