Marlin Guide Gun 45/70

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 07 January 2011
jh45gun posted this 23 March 2010

style="font-size: 11px;"My Rolling Block was a nice rifle but just too darn heavy and long so I traded it for a new Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70. Little bit more fire power and with it tipping the scales at 7 pounds a heck of a lot lighter and with an 18.5 inch barrel a lot more handier. Works for me I been wanting one of these for a while and figured if I could trade even up I would pull the trigger on a trade.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 24 March 2010

I loaded for an 1895 for awhile. 47 gr H4198 behind a 405 cb was a monster load. Accurate and hard hitting. I think you'll like the Guide gun. The ported barrel will help manage the recoil. It can be a little stout but I don't think you'll find a better gun in the woods.

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 24 March 2010

The later guide guns were not ported from what I have read and this is a NIB so it is not ported. While I am glad this gun gives me more variety on loads then the Roller I suspect for the most part I will be shooting moderate loads in it.

Attached Files

Down the line I may put a peep sight on it with a fiber optic front sight like I have my Winchester 94 set up. But funds are tight for now. So for now I have a dandy Older Weaver one and a half by four and a half that I will put on it as a scope base is only a few bucks for these.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 24 March 2010

I have a non ported Ballard rifling guide gun that is a boar blasting darling.

Front sight red optic fiber and rear Williams WGO ghost sight are wonderful.

In my opinion,Scoping  Marlin carbines destroys  their handiness and portability,

I use a 400 grain wide flat nose by Veral's LBT at 1350 fps.

I recovered some dead boars,but never recovered a bullet. 

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani wrote: I have a non ported Ballard rifling guide gun that is a boar blasting darling.

Front sight red optic fiber and rear Williams WGO ghost sight are wonderful.

In my opinion,Scoping  Marlin carbines destroys  their handiness and portability,

I use a 400 grain wide flat nose by Veral's LBT at 1350 fps.

I recovered some dead boars,but never recovered a bullet. 

That's true a good peep sight set up is nice but right now cash is tight and I can scope it for under a ten dollar bill a scope base cost about 6 to 7 bucks U.S. I have the scope and the rings so for now that will work. Plus a One had a half scope is pretty darn quick as you do not have the magnification factor there pretty much just crosshairs.  I have a fiber optic front sight on my Winchester 94 and A Williams 5D on the back. Good sight but I wish it was an FP model so you can adjust it for different loads. Sooner or later when cash is available the Winchester will sport a better Peep sight as probably will the Marlin unless I really like the scope set up.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 24 March 2010

I have an early (Modern)1895 Marlin in 45/70. When I got it, it had a sharp edged plastic butt plate. It was summer and when I shot it I actually bled from the shoulder (nothing between me and the rifle but a “T” shirt). The very next day I took it to a stockmaker friend and we put a GOOD recoil pad on it. That was a REALLY good move.

I hung a Weaver Wide View scope on it and have been very happy with it. I shoot NOTHING but cast bullets in it and it is a reliable 1.5” grouper (5 shots) at 100 yards. One of the best relatively short range rifles for game of any size I have tried (and I have tried a bunch).

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 25 March 2010

Dale53 wrote: I have an early (Modern)1895 Marlin in 45/70. When I got it, it had a sharp edged plastic butt plate. It was summer and when I shot it I actually bled from the shoulder (nothing between me and the rifle but a “T” shirt). The very next day I took it to a stockmaker friend and we put a GOOD recoil pad on it. That was a REALLY good move.

I hung a Weaver Wide View scope on it and have been very happy with it. I shoot NOTHING but cast bullets in it and it is a reliable 1.5” grouper (5 shots) at 100 yards. One of the best relatively short range rifles for game of any size I have tried (and I have tried a bunch).

FWIW Dale53

Marlin must have decided that putting on a factory recoil pad made sense as the new ones have a rubber recoil pad.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 29 March 2010

This hog didn't like a bullet from my 1895G worth a hoot!

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 29 March 2010

Just curious do you adjust the scope setting for each bullet or are they both close enough in POI not to bother due to the loads your using with each bullet?

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 29 March 2010

jh45gun wrote: Just curious do you adjust the scope setting for each bullet or are they both close enough in POI not to bother due to the loads your using with each bullet?

I have the rifle sighted in at 100-yards for the the 350-grain bullet and the 425-grain bullet's POI is one inch lower at 100-yards. I tend to favor the light bullet (a very relative term) as the punishment on the sending end isn't quite as bad. I also have a 1895MR, the 450 Marlin rifle (vs. Guide Gun) and favor the heavier bullet in it.

I do not think the critters on the receiving end could tell you which bullet, cartridge, or firearm they were shot with ;)

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 31 March 2010

jh45gun wrote: Just curious do you adjust the scope setting for each bullet or are they both close enough in POI not to bother due to the loads your using with each bullet?

I'm a little different !

I get a different rifle for each bullet weight .>

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 01 April 2010

That is pretty much where it has settled for me, 1895G for the 350-grain bullet and 1895MR for the 425-grain bullet.

Attached Files

NITROTRIP posted this 02 April 2010

You know how you buy different 22lr to find what shoots well it a rifle. I alway's would

pick what round I wanted to use, then go buy rifles untill I found one or two that would

shoot it. Well, now look what you guy's have done. I have to talk my wife into 4 more Sharps 74's--  11 more assorted lever actions--- at least a dozen bolt rifles--- annnnddd, all the cool things I need to get my wife to even things out.

If it was anything else you guy's would be the death of me, but this is GREAT!!!:dude:   Now, where did I put that shotgun news? And those other catalogs? And Avon and Kohls?

Got Shopping,

You all have a Nice Easter,

Rick

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 12 April 2010

Well I mounted the older Weaver 1.5x4.5 scope on it and took it out to the range the other day. Works well I think I will like that set up. I posted range time about it in an other post.

Attached Files

1895gunner posted this 18 April 2010

I love my ported 1895G. Was at the range this morning puttin lead down range...:P

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 18 April 2010

So what scope ya got mounted?

Attached Files

1895gunner posted this 18 April 2010

Bushnell 1.5x4. Good eye relief and light

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 18 April 2010

Mine as I stated before has an older Weaver 1.5x by 4.5x seems like a lot of guys like the 1 or 1.5 to the 4 or 4.5 range scopes.

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 25 May 2010

My buddie's guide-gun in .45/70 - jacketed 400gr. Barnes OS FN @ 2,004fps using 49gr. Reloader #7 - roughly 100 to 150fps higher than data shows for the same load in Speer's manual. I didn't believe his quote until I chronographed it myself, on my chronograph. No excess pressure generated by this load in the slightest. As the rifle is totally capable of handling up to 43,000PSI andthis load generates in the 30's, it's fine. It also 1” at 100 meters for 5 from his rifle using it's 2 1/2X scope.

Same load will do just fine with cast bullets from 350 to 420gr., BTW. That's power in a small package and they do make TERRIFIC guide guns. too.

Attached Files

josber posted this 27 October 2010

1895 gunner :You certainaly know how to set up and take nice pictures.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close