What to use for a surface under my lead pot?

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 25 January 2017
Tom in Pittsburgh posted this 16 January 2010

I'm getting ready to go back into bullet casting. Last time around the kitchen stove and a cast-iron pot got me in trouble with the missus, so this time around I have picked up a 10# Lyman melting pot. Is there a good, readily available material that I could use as a surface to put the pot on. I want to avoid particle board or plywood -- since they're flammable, and I know asbestos is a no-no.

What do you folks recommend?

TIA

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 16 January 2010

1/8 inch aluminum plate is an excellent surface over anything, even plywood. Al dissipates the heat of lead spills rapidly, lead does not stick and cleans up easily, and can be set aside if you want to use the surface for other things. Ric

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 16 January 2010

I have some old square foot cork tiles I use.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

2Tite posted this 16 January 2010

Leftover ceramic tiles work well. Splatters clean up easily and it dissipates any heat well. Works for me........

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 16 January 2010

I use a round landscape block, made of concrete.  That's only because it's outdoors in the carport.  I have seen some nice casting tables that use regular galvanized flashing from the hardware store.  The galvanized stuff can be waxed to clean up real easy.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 16 January 2010

How about a trivet?

OR, you might find a disk of aluminum or steel, known as a round or drop at a local machine shop. We make motors and hence I grab a few of the ends cut off the end of the 12' long rods. Ends are often not perfect, therefore are discarded.

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 January 2010

Durock

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/Documents/Installation_and_Appl_Guides/DrckCement_Board-Installation_Guide.pdf>http://www.usg.com/USGMarketingContent/usg.com/webfiles/Documents/InstallationandApplGuides/DrckCementBoard-InstallationGuide.pdf

Jerry

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 16 January 2010

If you want to cover the entire table or bench top use aaBACKER BOARD.  It comes in 1/4 in. thick sheets about three by four, and does not transmita heat well.

f

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 20 January 2010

I have never heard of any one having a fire from casting. Don't get me wrong because it can be done but not to worry. I have had splatters get on my jeans and it won't even scorch them, hot yes and some times uncomfortable, maybe I should be using a shop apron. I always use heavy leather gloves and eye protection. Of course never leave the melt unattended for more than a few minuets. Any kind of wood surface will work very well. I use a folding table 1” thick plywood painted with oil base gray paint and the table is 3' by 4' and sets up anywhere.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 20 January 2010

Tom

I use a cinderblock when needed. However rock lath or durock works well for a fire block. I use it behind my shop wood stove and on floor for a fire resistant area.

Bob D

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 January 2010

I keep fire bricks on hand, they don't transmit heat. I normally use my portable Welders Bench to cast on. I am putting in a small foundry and will have Durock and other resistant materials onhand.

Jerry

Attached Files

32ideal posted this 25 January 2010

Have used an OLD large 1/2” lipped cookie sheet with welders fireproof cloth under it for 40+ years. Had one of my old L** 10lb pots decide it did not want to keep the HOT alloy inside and proceeded to leak out its contents no matter what I did to get it to stop. The cookie sheet kept the hot alloy from running all over me the table or the floor, this idea was a suggestion from Grandfather who cast many pounds of fishing sinkers.

32ideal, Mike:)

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 25 January 2010

Mike;

I REALY LIKE THAT IDEA.  I think I will adopt it.  for those of us who don't bake Big Lots sells cookie sheetss dirt cheap  As well as thrift shops and yard sales.

Thanks.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

oake posted this 25 January 2010

Made my bench from waffer board, covered it with aluminum flashing, nailed quarter round on the outside edge ( with the taper turned inside ). I cut the piece of quarter round on the front of the table, two inches short, which allowed me an open corner. Makes cleanup so easy all your spills can be brushed to that open corner and into your scrap can for remelting. If you are afraid of a spill just keep a piece of wood on the beanch to block the opening in the quarter round.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 26 January 2010

Old Coot wrote: Mike;

I REALY LIKE THAT IDEA.  I think I will adopt it.  for those of us who don't bake Big Lots sells cookie sheetss dirt cheap  As well as thrift shops and yard sales.

Thanks. I second that! Built in lip, portable, cheap. It doesn't get any better than that (unless I can find one for free). Thanks, Mike.

Attached Files

sharktown posted this 06 February 2010

I have kinda of  the same setup as Mike does with the cookie sheet - believe me it works really well and is low cost. Under the cookie sheet I have a 1/4” thick piece of Corian laminated to plywood.

It has served me well so far for a bunch of years.

Regards, Sharktown

Attached Files

Badgerloader posted this 07 February 2010

I use a piece of 1/4” "concrete board” ceramic tile underlayment.  Home centers (Menards, Home Depot, Lowes) sell it in 4'X4' pieces and possibly 2X4.  You can cut it to size with a utility knife.  Use a bigger piece for your pot and smallet pieces to set hot molds.

Attached Files

sinew posted this 07 February 2010

Hi TIA 

Thought i would throw my two cents in here

I am still new to casting, but one thing i have down is a casting platform

It's a flash freezer pan or tray

It's a galvenized steel tray 3ft long, 14” wide, 1"deep,works great for me

Melting pot on right side, dropping heads on the left side

It's portable and any mess stays in the tray

Sinew ;}

Attached Files

kappy posted this 25 February 2010

I'm about to use a decommissioned pizza stone.

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 April 2010

In the “good old days” the preffered choice was 1/4 inch asbestos. Today I would opt for large ceramic tile.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 24 April 2010

for making ingots i have a small metal table with a homemade weed burner on one side and sorted lead on the other, for casting bolits i just have the 10# lee on the 2x6 railing of the back deck.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close