carnauba red and cold weather

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 04 March 2010
canuck4570 posted this 23 December 2009

I have some White label carnauba red and wish to know is some of you have done some shooting in cold weather and how low it was the reason is over here we often shoot in mid winter and it gets to -20 degrees your experience would be appreciated before I empty my lube seizer to put carnauba red in it thank you Canuck

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Edubya posted this 07 January 2010

Don't know what velocity that you're shooting, but just read on another forum a fella was using Carnuba Red in Alaska down to -30. He hadn't tested it at lower temps because that was his limit for shooting. I think that with any lube it will work as the pressure that is in the chamber is going to exceed 150 degrees instantly. That, plus the twist rate causes the centrifugal force to smear as the pressure lowers. EW

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 January 2010

You will need to heat your sizer a tad when using caranuba red to get it to flow. Other than that you should be fine with -20...

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 08 January 2010

thank you guy's helpfull canuck as for heat for my lube seizer her is my setup put a heat switch from a stove able to adjust the temperature to the right level

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 January 2010

Nice.. You are in good shape then. I hear good things about Caranuba Red lube. Glen does a good job with it.

Attached Files

Jeff have you shot this lube in cold weather yourself or is the information above from peaple who have or read it from some source on the net thanks canuck

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 08 January 2010

Canuck, the problem you'll run into is the difference in solvents. Carnuba is a different wax from your typical beeswax or alox(a commercial lubricant). Carnuba dissolves better with ethyl acetate, or acetone.  So when you come to the cleaning part, get a cheap can of acetone from the lumber yard or such.   I asked a real, educated chemist about this.

Hope that helps,

Ron

Attached Files

hunterspistol wrote:  Canuck, the problem you'll run into is the difference in solvents. Carnuba is a different wax from your typical beeswax or alox(a commercial lubricant). Carnuba dissolves better with ethyl acetate, or acetone.  So when you come to the cleaning part, get a cheap can of acetone from the lumber yard or such.   I asked a real, educated chemist about this.

Hope that helps,

Ron if I follow you correctly you are saying when cleaning the bore just put some acetone on the cleaning patch do I clean after with regular solvent or just acetone?

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 08 January 2010

hunterspistol wrote:  Carnuba is a different wax from your typical beeswax or alox(a commercial lubricant). Carnuba dissolves better with ethyl acetate, or acetone.  So when you come to the cleaning part, get a cheap can of acetone from the lumber yard or such.    And what would be the purpose in removing this protective layer from the barrel?

Duane

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 08 January 2010

the red will build up some in the cold. maybe not so much in a revolver but in a levergun or rifle it will. it tends to do it right about where the pressure drops off in the bbl bout a foot down. you might see a lube purge flyer. glens b.a.c. seems to do a bit better in the cold.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 09 January 2010

Copper solvents don't seem to effect it much by themselves.  Yes, I just clean as normal with mineral spirits, if that doesn't do it, I brush it with acetone.  The acetone dissolves it faster than any other solvent. And once it has acetone on it, the mineral spirits seems to break it down.

Attached Files

chboats posted this 09 January 2010

For cleaning I use Ed's Red. It has acetone and mineral spirits. But keep the acetone or ER away from a wood stock as it will desolve the finish.

Attached Files

Rockchucker posted this 03 March 2010

I can't speak for the cold weather, but here in Florida we're more concerned with the heat.and the carnauba red is an excellent lube in my opinion it can't be beat at any price

Attached Files

corerf posted this 03 March 2010

hunterspistol, I think Duane was wondering why you would fully remove the carnuba red film completely from the barrel. I think the question stems from the bore conditioning that is thought to occur and the acetone would compromise the film.

But lube gets in places that don't always need lube so having a solvent to cut properly is a good thing.

I did NOT know about the acetone performance but ER has cut carnuba red for me (without being too aggressive) but will not fully cut away the lube film. I have tooling that I need red removed from and so the acetone is a good gimick for me (in the future).

I have a mixing bowl I “borrowed” from my wife to remelt red in as I bought sticks with no hole but needed a hole. I need to give her bowl back. Acetone might save my life! Wives and carnuba red, they don't mix well.

Thanks HP

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 March 2010

I hear that the secret to cleaning up that bowl is one of those magic erasers... I have used it to clean the red stain left behind in a tupperware bowl when I stored some spaghetti sauce, might work well for the lube too. If the bowl is plastic dont use acetone on it, it will ruin it. Duane the reason for removing the excess caranuba wax is build up. ER works well enough to keep it under control. I use caranuba wax in my Voodoo Red, works great for conditioning a barrel and lead wont stick to it.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 04 March 2010

If there is a build up of Carnauba in the barrel, does this indicate that too much is present in the lube.  After all, excess lube on the bullet is sometimes thought to be the reason for “lube purging” fliers. Sort of like filling only one lube groove in a wad cutter bullet.  Less is better.  Duane

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 March 2010

I use around 10% carnauba by volume, I dont have build up but is does scorch slightly. Since I shoot ca lot of competition, I clean more than the average guy, so I really dont see build up at all with Voodoo Red.

Attached Files

Close