1903 Springfield

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 19 November 2009
JetMech posted this 08 November 2009

This is the first rifle I've just finished. Without sights, I have about $550 in it. The vintage Lyman 48S and 17XNA were about another $250, so about 800 altogether. The barrel is a “44 HS that slugs @ .3085. Muzzle wear is about 2. I'll have to do a chamber cast to get a good idea about how it looks. But first thing, I'm going to load up some 311284s to settle everything in and get some fire formed cases.

Next up is a 1903A3, also with a new CMP stock. That will be for straight military sight shoots. It's about done also. I'll post a photo when it's done.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 09 November 2009

nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 November 2009

Congratulations Bill, looks nice.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 09 November 2009

Thanks, guys. If anyone needs a Springfield stock, I can highly recommend the Boyd's/CMP stocks. Literally, a drop-in replacement. Even the tang cut-out is relieved just enough to prevent splitting.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 09 November 2009

I have three 03A3 service stocks but have no idea what they are worth. Does anyone have an idea?

Jim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 November 2009

Remington: average $50, early nice cartouches $100, new never fitted, $175, 03A4 $250++++

Smith Corona: average $60, nice cartouches $100, new replacements by SC $125.

Price flexes with condition and modifications.

HTH< Ric

Attached Files

MrE posted this 15 November 2009

Hey guys, Does anybody know if the CMP stocks are legal for issue class CBA Military competition?  Just wondering

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 16 November 2009

Man, I hope so! I just finished the second rifle built with a CMP stock, a 1903A3 for issue-sight class. They are all GI parts, except the stock.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 16 November 2009

They are legal.

Attached Files

MrE posted this 18 November 2009

I found the rules on another page.

5.7 Military Rifle Shoot - The rules for Registered Military Rifle Shoots shall follow existing CBA Benchrest rules with the following additions and exceptions. (a) Military Rifles <1> Issue - Any military service rifle issued to any nation and legally sold as surplus in the US and in strictly as issued configuration. This means NO modifications are allowed to the rifle.

Looks to me the aftermarket stock is OK in Modified class but not in Issue. Unless the rules are out of date or there's change in the wind.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 18 November 2009

MrE wrote: as issued configuration That is the key. The CMP stocks are an “as issued” configuration. No glass bedding or other modifications to the stocks are allowed.

Attached Files

MrE posted this 18 November 2009

Well, if the stock is Ok per the rules, what about a new barrel?

Item ID: 065CRI/A3 Description: Barrel, New Criterion 1903A3 RIFLE, 4140 CHROME MOLY STEEL New 1903A3 barrels by Criterion Barrels, Inc., a Division of Krieger Barrels, 4140 chrome moly steel, button rifled, con- toured and finish lapped after contouring. Comply with CMP
competition rules and are legal for the 03 Matches. Park-
erized like the original 1903A3 and chambered .010 away from finish size to be fitted and headspaced when assembled to
fit your receiver and bolt dimensions.
ASSEMBLY AND HEADSPACING BY A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH IS REQUIRED S&H $6.00 per barrel

Price: $189.95

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 18 November 2009

Only “new” surplus barrels are legal. No Kreigers or other new production barrels are allowed.

It's not that hard to find a good shooting Springfield barrel.  I've shot 3 different Springfields and they (the three I shot) seem to average about 1.5 MOA.  That's more than tight enough for an excellent score.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 18 November 2009

Button rifled and lapped isn't even close to an “as-issue” configuration.

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 19 November 2009

My understanding is that as long as the barrel has the same contours of the issue (ie not a heavy match barrel) they are legal in CMP as issued class shoots which seem to have the same intent as the CBA rules:

CMP 13th Edition 2009

6.3.3 As-Issued M1903 Springfield The rifle must be a standard issue service rifle that was issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and be in as-issued condition. Permitted rifles are the Caliber .30 U. S. Model 1903 and Model 1903 A3 Springfield rifles, except that Caliber .30 U. S. Model 1903 Springfield rifles manufactured by Springfield Armory with serial numbers of 810,000 or lower or by Rock Island Arsenal with serial numbers of 285,506 or lower may not be used in any CMP-sanctioned competition. (1) Rifles must be as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces, with standard stock and sights. (2) Trigger pulls on the M1903 Springfield may not be less than 3.5 pounds. (3) Sights must be of the same types that were on rifles issued to regular military personnel. Special purpose sights designed for sniping or target practice are not permitted. (4) Sights with USMC dimensions for aperture diameter and front sight blade thickness are permitted on both M1903 and M1903A3 rifles. The rear sight aperture may be enlarged by drilling or reaming and a wider front sight blade may be installed. The A3 rear sight must remain as issued except for the larger aperture. The top of the front sight blade must not be wider than 0.100”. The rear sight aperture must not be larger than 0.100”. (5) The use of shims made of any material is prohibited. The presence of fiberglass, epoxy, glue or any other filler is prohibited. Laminated stocks and stocks made of synthetic materials are prohibited. (6) Only U.S. Government Issue parts or non-U. S. Government or commercial parts of the exact same weight and dimensions may be used. (7) Springfield rifles may be fired with as-issued front sight covers in place on the rifle. Legal sight covers include the common front sight covers made by Springfield Arsenal, Rock Island Arsenal, and Remington, and the higher Marine Corps front sight cover made for the Marine Corps front sight. Commercial equivalents of those covers may be used. No sight cover may be higher than 1.6” when measured from the bottom of the barrel.

Wineman

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 19 November 2009

i really hope that you cant use any other blr. than U.S milatary. The reason i like the milatary shoots is that it is not an equipment game. the rules were written to keep it affordable to just about anyone. if you can put a custom blr custom stock etc. you should be shooting in unlimited class. joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 19 November 2009

Wineman, We shoot CBA (Cast Bullet Association) rules here. CMP does not apply.

Go back to post #13 in this thread for the layman's rules.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 November 2009

Argie1891,

I agree with you 100%. It should stay a competition of who can make a military rifle shoot the best. Not who has the most money to spend. And that is the reason I choose to shoot in this type of match, rather than any of the others.

Ric

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 November 2009

I agree. Yes, it's a nice looking rifle I put together, but it's still an issue rifle in an issue configuration. When the barrel was installed, it was done to military specs, no special chambering or throating, no trigger work, etc. In fact, it will probably take me awhile to get it to shoot as well as a worn rifle due to the tight fit of the entire barrel and action in the stock. The reason I put together one rifle is I had a hacked up 1903A3 for years that I wanted to shoot in it's original configuration. I've got about $600 in that one. The 1903 was put together for $550 because I shopped around until I got all the correct issue parts. The receiver was already drilled for the Lyman sight, which is why it was so cheap. The collectors wanted nothing to do with it.

As Ric said, “It should stay a competition of who can make a military rifle shoot the best. Not who has the most money to spend. And that is the reason I choose to shoot in this type of match, rather than any of the others.” I just happened to put mine together from parts.

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 19 November 2009

Got it. After a long day I had my acronyms mixed up.

I am with you guys to let the skill of shooter do the talking rather than the size of the wallet. I have a M1917 Eddystone that has a very long and creepy trigger which really makes for a long day at the range. I would love a better trigger but issued is issued. I got a new sear/rebound spring and will see if that improves things.

Thanks for the help.

Wineman

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 November 2009

M1917's usually have a decent trigger, for a Mauser two stage that is. Make sure the bottom of the receiver and sear surfaces are really cleaned down to dry metal, then use a little of the moly oils or greases and shoot it for awhile. That really helps the trigger feel. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close