Bullet Lube

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 16 August 2009
CB posted this 12 August 2009

Seen the section on bullet lube but I feel the Posts are geared to experienced casters.

For a guy picking his first lube what do some of you journeymen casters recommend to a new caster if he only casts for say 2 rifle and 2 pistols. Remember he is probably on a budget and does not have a Saeco luber sizer maybe a Lee. Also can the new guy get by with 1 lube or does he need seperate lube for rifle and pistol bullets.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 12 August 2009

I tried different lubes to start with, don't like the extra scent in Lyman Orange Magic, just smells.  Super Moly isn't bad if you can handle the black greasy mess- would do both rifle and pistol.

If a guy is going to do both low veloctiy pistol and high velocity rifle, the best choice has always been an alox lube.  I've recently found an equivalent- through the fact they sent me a sample- in White Label Lubes' BAC

BAC is beeswax, alox, and carnuba that is soft, wouldn't require a heater and has a very light scent.  http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html>http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

PS: don't be shy, ask for samples!

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 August 2009

I use LBT Blue for everything. If he's going to exclusively be using a Lee bullet sizing die one of the tumble lubes would be the thing to try first. If that didn't work out pan lubing's the next option until he gets a lubesizer.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 13 August 2009

LBT Blue spoken here. Sold by Veral Smith and he has a web link on here somewhere.

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 August 2009

Hunter

I started with the Ideal Lubricant. I had enough of it I didn't know there were others, When I started tunning low on lube I noticed that there were many different to choosre from. I went eith Caranuba Red don't ask me why I din't know.

Can one lube handle rifle and pistol cast. If so what do you recommend. Just for future use I have 9 sticks left of Caranuba.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 14 August 2009

look at the white label lubes website. or even look for bullshop on the web. if glen or dan's lubes won't do it, you need to make your own.

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 August 2009

Voodoo Lube will do the job also.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 14 August 2009

Carnuba Red is a high velocity lube, you could use it for under 1800 fps but, that really isn't where it excels.  BAC isn't a lot different, just a little softer and more applicable to slower pistol loads.

My 7mmTCU with a 135 grain bullet loves Carnuba Red, the 9mm doesn't.

Attached Files

Edubya posted this 14 August 2009

I have used Carnuba Red for .38's running at 750 fps to .44 Magnum at 1400 fps plus. I have recovered a few of the .38s and saw that the lube was still on the bullets. Apparently, not all of it because the gun did not lead up. I figure that the centrifugal force spun enough off that it kept the barrel clean. It's inexpensive and could be used in a pan lube operation (been there and done it). EW

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 August 2009

Hunter and Edubya

I chose Caranuba Red mainly for rifle cast in my Lyman 45 but I also use it in my Lyman 450 for 38 bullets. I know nothing more about lube other than Ideal lube. Glad to hear Caranuba works well for pistol cast.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 16 August 2009

I use Voodoo lube exclusively.

Attached Files

Close