Unique

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 03 February 2010
Notlwonk posted this 09 July 2009

Someone told me that Unique was or is to be discontinued, any truth to that?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
argie1891 posted this 09 July 2009

i sure hope not as i use on everthing but tacos joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 09 July 2009

i just went to the web site and it said unique is the most versitle power made sounds like you got some bad information. but it really is my favorite powder i use 12 grains in most cases from 308 up and get pretty good groups with the right cast bullet. i even shot a couple good groups once in a while. joe gifford aka argie1891

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 09 July 2009

I use 11.5 grains in the 30-06 with the 311284 and get  groups (5 shots per group) with an extreem spread of 1.0 inch or less at 100 yards. Velocity at 10 ft is 1250 fps.

Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 July 2009

Not

Sounds like you have a bad source. Unique is one the most popular reloading powders on the market.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 12 July 2009

Would be a great way for Alliant to shoot themselves in both feet. Sounds like a dud source.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 13 July 2009

It didn't seem likely to me either, my source has always been very trustworthy. It sounds like he got it wrong this time. .>

I did find a discussion on AR15.com (?) forum that took place in June and there was nothing concrete about Unique being history. It would probably end up like 4759, gone for a while but ressurected later.

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 July 2009

N

As long as Unique is a leading powder it will be around as long as reloading is around. In other words longer than your lifetime. Unique is one of those Universal powders used in shotgun, pistol, and cast bullet. I worked in my friends gunshop for 20 yrs and Unique was one of our top sellers.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 24 January 2010

If Aliant quit making Unique it would be like Ford quit making the F-150 Pick-up.

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 January 2010

I like the pickup analogy, I use Unique over many other powders and it is very versatile, it works in shotguns, pistols and rifles. Some people say it's a dirty powder, so what it fills many needs for the reloaders.

Jerry

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 27 January 2010

if it was true that it was discontinued i would take out a bank loan so i could stock up on it. joe gifford.

Attached Files

toad posted this 02 February 2010

I'm new to reloading and have heard you can get good hunting loads for my H&R 45-70 with 405 and 500gr cast bullets using unique powder doe's any one use this setup. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 February 2010

I use the 405 CB without a gas check with Unique, but I prefer using SR 4759, 28 grains for my GC'd CBs.

If you use Unique try a starting load of about 14 grains with your 405 grain bullets.

For 500 grains bullets, I would approach this very cautiously, but start out at 12 grains of Unique.

Jerry

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 02 February 2010

Notlwonk wrote: Someone told me that Unique was or is to be discontinued, any truth to that?

Formulation changed to remove graphite, it doesn't stink like the old unique.  It was supposed to help metering of the charge, it's also abrasive.

Charlie

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 03 February 2010

Formulation changed to remove graphite, it doesn't stink like the old unique. It was supposed to help metering of the charge, it's also abrasive.

abrasive how?? i never heard this before what are you basing this on?? not really questioning you just wondering where this information comes from. joe gifford

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 03 February 2010

Think of adobe when it's wet.  Graphite has or amorphous carbon has a crystal lattice  structure which slides on itself or other layers in the structure.  The interface at the non graphite boundary  grips and when it tries to move it is abrasive.  Every  materials or geology or solid state physics book I have ever read.  Charlie

Attached Files

raytear posted this 03 February 2010

According to the Alliant literature, the formula for UNIQUE was changed slightly a few years ago to make it cleaner. Removing the graphite seems consistent with that claim. They also claim to have a 100 year old reference sample of UNIQUE that they use as a standard against which to test new formulations.

Alliant reformulated 2400, too. New 2400 is supposed to be slightly faster, so data more than, say 5 years old, is too hot on the upper end.

Attached Files

Close