Hard to find Top Punch

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 09 June 2012
AlTxRanger posted this 21 June 2009

Where are good places to search for hard to find top punches like the Lyman #418 ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 21 June 2009

You have a few choices.  If you search ebay long enough one will eventually show up.  

Make one yourself by using epoxy to mold the contour of another punch to fit your bullet.

Trickier still, find one that works even though it is a different punch #.  This might be tough because spitzer bullets don't seem to be that popular now.  I would try the punch for the Saeco .22 caliber spitzer bullet.  If you want to mail me a couple of bullets I'll try it for you.

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 21 June 2009

I used to go to the high school machine shop and get a bunch made.may be they dont teach shop any more.:coffee.>:fire

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 21 June 2009

The World's Largest Shooting and Reloading Store: http://www.midwayusa.com>http://www.midwayusa.com  has a master catalog available. If you find the site too much work, call the Potterfield family at 1-800-243-3220. They can run the search for you, tell you if it's in stock, and set everything up.

9am-6pm CST Monday thru Friday

12pm-4pm CST Saturday-Sunday (Weekend afternoons!!)

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 21 June 2009

if you got one close you could put some soft lube in it to take the shape of the one you need if it's a flat point a 1/4” bolt with the head filed or cut off will suffice. i ain't got a lyman or rcbs sizer but this would work well. hot glue works well also if you want a bit more permanent one as will aluminu foil which is removeable.

Attached Files

mcskipper posted this 23 July 2010

If I had to I would buy a cheep top punch of the right caliber, degrease it, fill it with a good epoxy. Put a lot of bullet lube on the bullet. Put the bullet in the sizing die. Let the handle pressure hold it until the epoxy is fully set. You now have a perfect top punch for that bullet.

Attached Files

AlTxRanger posted this 25 July 2010

In this year since I first posed this question, I have patiently searched Ebay and GunBroker and found most of them. One I made on the lathe. I averaged paying about $6.50 per, even though I found one source that had them all but at $20.00 each. Thanks for the good responses. AlTxRanger

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 April 2012

KenK wrote: You have a few choices.  If you search ebay long enough one will eventually show up.  

Make one yourself by using epoxy to mold the contour of another punch to fit your bullet.

Trickier still, find one that works even though it is a different punch #.  This might be tough because spitzer bullets don't seem to be that popular now.  I would try the punch for the Saeco .22 caliber spitzer bullet.  If you want to mail me a couple of bullets I'll try it for you. I believe that Buckshot over ay cast boolits can make you one. He has a good reputation.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

duck hollow pete posted this 29 May 2012

need one for the 323471 lym takes a 366 which punch should I get to do the epoxy route

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 30 May 2012

I would just get any top punch that is deeper (or drill one out a little) and larger than the one I need and lube a bullet up real good with paste wax put some metal epoxy in the top punch cavity, and run the bullet up into it until it has set up. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

duck hollow pete posted this 30 May 2012

thank you

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 May 2012

I have been known to take a case that has a split neck, deprime, drill and tap to 1/4-20, insert a piece of threaded rod and then fill the case with devcon epoxy, Vaseline the bullet and let the handle weight push it down on the bullet until the epoxy cures. I dont tighten the set screw to hold the punch in the ram very tight.It floats when you press a bullet down to make sure it centers in the die. I put a bit of bullet lube on the stem of the punch to help hold it in place.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 09 June 2012

Jeff Bowles wrote: I have been known to take a case that has a split neck, deprime, drill and tap to 1/4-20, insert a piece of threaded rod and then fill the case with devcon epoxy, Vaseline the bullet and let the handle weight push it down on the bullet until the epoxy cures. I dont tighten the set screw to hold the punch in the ram very tight.It floats when you press a bullet down to make sure it centers in the die. I put a bit of bullet lube on the stem of the punch to help hold it in place.

If I read you right, I LIKE the concept - making a custom fitted piece that COULD be fit into a standard (for that diameter) basic punch-body. THat implies that one could make a handful of nose-punch bodies into which the custom punch piece would be fitted. Might see that on the market if someone picks up on it.

Attached Files

Close