Load for 7.62x54r

• 5.5K Views
  • Last Post 26 September 2009
amb1935 posted this 28 May 2009

Anyone got any ideas for a load for H414 shooting 160gr, wheel weight lead tumble lubed using LR magnum primers? MN 91/30, 7.62x54r. I am just now getting into casting and reloading. I've been doing tons of research and would like to see what you all say about my given information.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wally Enga posted this 28 May 2009

H414 is a lot slower powder then any of the powders I have used in the 7.62X54R.  If you are looking for an accurate target load to shoot holes in paper, I would definitely recommend a much faster powder in the SR-4759, Al 2400 or AA5744 burn range. It will work better and you will need only about 1/2 as much powder.

Most MN 91/30's are going to have a HUGE throat and you will more then likely need a cast bullet sized up in the .314 range at least --- the Lyman 314299 would be a good starting choice.

Wally

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 May 2009

My 91/30 needed a .316 bullet to fit the throat. I'm using 7 grains of Bullseye with a CBE 220-gr. plainbased FN bullet cast soft, which is subsonic and nearly silent.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 29 May 2009

What about if I use Red Dot instead of H414?  I just read Ed's entire forum posts about “The Load” and I'm interested.  I originally wanted to use H414 because that's all I have and it's a pain to get more powder.  Basically, I want to know what load to use with H414 and cast bullets so I don't end up with a bolt in my forehead lol.  My assumption was that I could take the starting load of H414 for the 7.62x54r for j bullets, reduce by 10% and use that as a starting load in cast bullet.  Since H414 is relatively slow burning, I didn't think this would be an issue, but I have little experience in this area.  I guess my basic question is, will it blow up?  I am willing to tinker for accuracy, but my main concern right now is for safety, i.e. ranges for number of grains of H414 to use for cast bullets.  When I'm out of H414, I'm probably going to move to Red Dot, starting at 6 grains and moving up to 13 grains.  Thoughts?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 May 2009

Red dot works fine in the 7.62x54R. Use a minimum start of load 6 grains up to 8 grs. with a plainbased lead bullet and from 8 grs. up to 13 max. with the jacketed service bullet or a GC cast one not over 200 grains.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 31 May 2009

Thanks, Ed!

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 11 September 2009

lately, i have been thinking of loading up a few 45gr .310 cal round ball loads with 3-4grs bullseye to take along for small game for my M44 hunting carbine. the 180gr sp ammo really destroys too much meat on a small critter. i drilled out the primer flash hole and marked the cases for round ball use only. any thoughts?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 September 2009

The .310 ball is too small to shoot well in the big throat and loose groove diameter. Use a 00 buckshot (.33) perch it on top and ahead of the case mouth, crimping into the case mouth below its tangent. It will chamber and seal the throat.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 13 September 2009

thanks Ed. i may have to up grade to that size. i do have a few rounds loaded up which i may target at 25yds just for fun. then reload cases with .33 round ball. best, john

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 13 September 2009

write back with results. I am interested in your outcome. Thanks.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 13 September 2009

Vassal. my initial testing was at 6 gr at which point i just began to hear a sonic crack. i dropped it down to 4gr, some with a bit of tissue paper wadding and some without. a quieter load. seeing the tissue paper exit the barrel confirms that the ball has safely been sent down range. (i still check the bore visually incase i cant see or hear the impact at the target). current as yet untested lot include cases with enlarged flash hole, standard primers, no tissue paper. 3 loadings of 3gr, 3.5 gr, and 4gr. with .310 (32 cal) round ball. once i have established a “safe ” load which will exit the barrel and be sub-sonic, i will adjust for accuracy. my goal would be a sub-sonic round with decent 25yd accuracy for small game. i could carry a few of these light loads while deer hunting and make a shot at a squirrel or rabbit and not spook the primary game. best, john

Attached Files

beemer posted this 14 September 2009

shjoe I was working with a round ball load yesterday,I used 5 to 6 grs of Red Dot and 6 grs of Trail Boss. I have a Lee .310 mould for my FL that pours a little over .312. I drove one down the bore of my 91/30, it touched the grooves all the way around the ball. I was only shooting at 15 yds but it usually shot a ragged hole. With the Red Dot I believe it did best with a dacron filler. Trail Boss seemed to work the best but I haven't shot enough to be sure. I need to set up at 25 yds and try it again. The balls are a tight slip fit in the unsized case mouth and were seated flush. A small drop of LLA was ran around the case mouth with a toothpick. I also used large pistol primers, I have a good many and no large pistol. Do you lube the round balls, if so how? A Lee 311-100 2r that I use in my 32 S&W Long does real well, it also seems to feed through the magazine. David

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 14 September 2009

Terrific!! I have been considering a small projectile for th big Russian. I might go with a Pistol bullet if I can find one that will work, but a round ball would be fine too. I have yet to slug the throat of my rifle (i'm a bit scared as I've never done it before and hammering in my rifle just seems wrong) The bore slugs at .30 x .312. Do you happen to know what your throat measures at? Mighty Ed says his is .316 I hope mine is a bit smaller, but who knows. I'm just gonna have to do it i guess. Thanks for the info. I'll be trying something similiar soon (i hope)

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 14 September 2009

beemer. i use a home made version bullet lube that seems to work as well as any other on my round ball and cast bullets. this latest batch for testing is with neck sized only cases and the .310 (32 cal) round ball, pressed in by hand. i havent been to the range yet (work keeps getting in the way). but i will post a range report . best, john

Attached Files

beemer posted this 14 September 2009

Vassal The throat is close to .314 the best I can measure. The bore is .312 & .300 and in very good shape.The lee 100 gr. that I use measures out at .313.

For heavier loads the Lee 180 gr at .314 and 20-23 grs. of IMR 4198 with a .5 gr. tuft of dacron and a standard rifle primer works for me. Alliant 2400 also works well and is easy to measure.

I have not used any ball powders in the Russian for cast. The closest to that was with a 303 Brit with W760 and the 180 cast bullet. W760 has a burning rate close to H414. Even with mag primers I felt it was to slow for cast loads.

I also shoot the Lee 180 without a gas check with 13 grs of Trail Boss and a tuft of dacron. It does fine for plinking , had to raise the rear sight to 750 for 100 yds. Have fun.

David

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 26 September 2009

Thanks for the info. I just noticed it!! The bore matches my mint 1938 MN which is devoted to cast. I just broke in a 314299. Man it cast great! BUT it cast pure WW at .312-.313+ it barely touches in a .314 push through die.

Attached Files

Close