AA #5

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 08 August 2013
Jack posted this 09 April 2009

Does anyone have any experience using AA#5 ? I have about a pound which I purchased sometime back in the  '90's and used for 357 mag loads then. I can't find any notes on the results nor is my memory that good. It apears to have a burning rate similer to Unique. My use would be for 240gn 44mag and 158gn 357 and 38 spc cast loads around 800 - 1000 fps. How about for a 45acp?

Any comments or suggestions?

Jack

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 09 April 2009

I found it pretty hot for magnum loads, but like it very well for lead gas checked 38 specials, 7.63 Mauser pistol and 45 ACP jacketed bullets. It is very dense and meters well so works well for small volume cases. Ric

Attached Files

valk posted this 13 May 2009

It's my favorite powder for the .45 ACP. It's clean and meters very well.

Attached Files

FatAlbert posted this 13 February 2012

I uses #5 in my Rug.45LC Bisley with 275gr FN plain base bullets. I have tested from 10gr(988fps)to 12.5gr(1244fps). With the Bisley. and 7 1/2” barrel I start to get muzzel flip at 12gr so load to 11.5gr, 1105fps ,28fps spread and 1 1/2” at 25yrds. Velosity increase is very consistant with each increase of powder charge and even at the 12.5 charge it was not blasty.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 26 March 2013

Very good for .38 Special, .45Auto, and .40S&W.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 26 March 2013

I bought 2 large 8 pound containers in the early 90s though my local gun club for a very good price. I still have about half of it left. It is a hair slower than Unique and works quite well.

I have loaded it in 9mm Luger, 38 Special and 45 ACP and it has worked very well in all of those applications.

IIRC it was developed in Israel for the 9mm round. I will buy Unique when this is gone, but none-the-less it is still a good powder.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 26 March 2013

It didn't burn well in my .38 at lower pressures.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 28 March 2013

Gary,

I don't know what a picture that look like the makings of a homemade hand grenade has to do with cast bullet shooting, but I doubt that we need the attention that such a picture might attract.

Google -- Feds Charge Kansas Veteran With Explosives Charge

I have removed post #7.

John

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 29 March 2013

John, sure, I was saying this is a versatile and under acclaimed powder. The recommended load from Lee for their 1 oz cast slug with this powder is the fastest, best shooting slug load in 12 ga. I have ever tried.

Gary

Attached Files

noylj posted this 10 June 2013

I am convinced that the AA number series are the best ignored powders in the world. Next would be PB in handguns. People moan and groan and base their powder selection of clean and yet they have never heard of PB. Their loss.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 June 2013

AA5 works in the same areas as unique for me.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 08 August 2013

Great powder. Not for max loads in a magnum. Great mid-range powder. I agree, I have never seen a cleaner burning powder than PB; however, since clean burning is NOT a concern, I don't use much of it.

Attached Files

Close