Marlin Cowboy LTD 45 LC load info

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 09 April 2009
GBertolet posted this 02 April 2009

I'm having trouble getting my 1894 to shoot well. I have 2 molds for the LC, the Lyman 452424 and the Lyman 452664. Both run about 250 grs with wheelweights.The 424 doesn't feed well as the front driving band catches on the front edge of the chamber causing a hitch in chambering. So I purchased a traditional design the 452664. It feeds smooth but accuracy is only so- so, as the 452424 was also. I've tried 231,Titegroup and Unique. Unique seems to shoot the best of the three, and I settled on 9.0 gr load for about 1100 fps in the rifle. My bullets are 453.5 dia and are shot as cast with Lee Liquid Alox. Out of 5 shots, 3 are are in 3 inches with the remaining 2 opening the group to 6 inches at 100 yards. It does this consistently. I have a Williams WGRS aperture sight on the rifle and am shooting from a Caldwell rifle rest. I slugged the bore and it is .451 dia. I do have some 45ACP bullet molds in the 200 gr range I haven't considered using because of my fear of a chainfire in the mag tube due to the size and shape of their noses. I just use the gun for plinking and informal target shooting so I haven't considered heavy bullets or magnum loads. It's a big hit at the range, everyone wants to shoot the cowboy rifle.

Does anyone have any pet loads for this rifle or willing to share any tricks they have discovered on how to make this rifle shoot? 

P.S. Although it doesn't affect how it shoots, the gun must have been made on a Monday or Friday as Marlin cut the dovetail for the front sight crooked.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 02 April 2009

Do the outside shots come in any particular order?

I think lever action rifles generally shoot better if the magazine tube and forearm are a little loose.  They also are sensitive to pressure on the stock from your face.  I get best results by putting the front bag close to the receiver.

You might also try a scope for test purposes.  6” groups at 100 yards aren't that bad with that rifle and those sights if you have old eyes.

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 02 April 2009

Usually the first three are good with the flyers coming at the end. I do shoot with the front bag close to the receiver with holding the rifle tight against my shoulder. I didn't try loosening the fore end yet. And yes I do have aging eyes!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 April 2009

This is no encouragement, but the chamber in my .45 Colt Cowboy LTD was so sloppy that I had John Taylor set back the barrel, rechamber it to .45 ACP and rework the extractor and lifter.

It now shoots about 4-5 inch groups with iron sights at 100 instead of 6 inches plus that it used to. That seems about standard with leverguns shooting handgun ammo.

.45 ACP brass is plentiful and cheap, the smaller case capacity gives more uniform ballistics and with the now 22-inch. barrel the rifle is handy and holds 13 rounds in the magazine tube. 4.5 grains of Bullseye with the Saeco 230-gr. cowboy bullet gives me 970 f.p.s. and is fairly quiet, about like banging a wooden drumstick on the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket.  I am holding the rifle in the avatar at left.  Revolver is a Pietta Remington with the .45 ACP Kirst Kartridge Converter, for inquiring minds who want to know.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 03 April 2009

Ed, In reading what you stated in your post, the accuracy for my rifle is not bad but rather normal for the 1894 Marlin. Maybe I should reserve my shooting to 50 yards or less, and short of a major rework, be happy it shoots as good as it does. Thank you for your response!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 03 April 2009

Dang, don't give up that easy.  If it was a problem with the chamber why would it shoot three good ones and then two fliers?

I have the same rifle in .44 magnum and it is a very good shooter but it took just a little  work  to get there.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 06 April 2009

I have a Marlin cowboy that shoots splendidly anything I load into it.

I size them all 454 and avoid the so called Keith's bullets,they are revolver bullets,not leveractions bullets.And Elmer Keith often complained that his design was not followed exactly by the various manifacturers.. 

I have had no luck with a Lyman 250 grains 452664 cow boy bullet,correct shape ,feeds very well,but inferior accuracy.

I use the Lee Tumble lube 45 auto bullets 230round nose,230 truncated cone and 300 gr gas check.at 25 meter  Italian  cow boy  guns competitions.

I have had a big success last sunday at Somma Lombardo range,I won two bottles of whiskey and a hand painted Indian Warrior(dust gathering )statue,shootind wonderful bullets from a Veral Smith LBT mould.Distance 50 meters,from offhand,standing.

Veral's design is clever,large front band,lots of lead engraved by the barrel grooves.

Four cavity,light aluminum blocks,very round bullets .

300 grainers,large flat meplat and no Gas Check.Range scrap,cast at 455,sized to 454 lubed  with carnauba -xlox from Lestuff(might be spelling the name incorrectly).

Load from Hole .76 of the lee dik  measure,Tecna powder,an attenuated double base powder,similar to Unique

.I should have tested those loads with a scope from a rest,but I am lazy ,It's a winning combo,I just load them and practice offhand shooting-

I must confess that my competitors are using original Win 94 or replicas of the old winchester guns ,which all have horrible ancient sights,buckhorns,ladders and so on.

Most use short barrel carbines,and being as young as me have the front sight out of focus. 

My 24 inch barrel Chiappa Win 92 replica shoots well but being small caliber,357 mag is handicapped by making small holes in the  paper target.

In my experience,all Marlin lever guns,if they are not badly machined, outshoot their competitors,even if they have microgrooved barrels.

I do not mention my two 45/70 guns because ,seldom,I put  limits on my bragging.

Sell your present moulds and put Veral to work,that's what I did,and I am very happy  with this choice..

It was an advice I read on an old issue of the fowling shot,from Glenn Leatham,if memory seves me,

If your budget is tight,buy one good custom mould.

Saves you cash and preserves your coronaries.

Good luck with your Marlin cowboy. 

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 06 April 2009

when i wanted to tighten up the groups in my 92 with the 452664 i had to up the velocity. i also had to try a couple of different lubes. but i can consistently get the first 4 touching. then i usually blow the fifth round. with the swc type boolits i have to get the case right under the driving band or trim the cases down a shade. bout 5 thou.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 07 April 2009

Are your loads leading?

Is liquid alox enough  using traditional groove bullets at your speed?

I usually heed Ed Harris advice of keeping one round in the magazine when bench rest testing leverguns,to keep moderate and constant tension on the magazine spring.

If memory serves me Paco Kelly said he used to grab the forearm in his left hand and rest the back of the  hand on the sandbags.

You can find an article from Paco on accurizing leverguns on old FS issues or on his lever guns site  online.

You bet I am fond of leverguns.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 09 April 2009

I have a 1895 cowboy 45 70 if you load a full mag. and shoot off the bench the point of impact changes as the number of rounds change in the mag. I only load 2 or 3 rounds for bench shooting.

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 09 April 2009

I have no leading at all. 9 gr unique runs about 1100 fps in the rifle. I normaly load 5 rounds at a time. I can try single loading. Thanks!

Attached Files

Close