357 revolver accuracy

• Last Post 31 May 2022
2frogs posted this 19 May 2022

How accurate should a 6 inch 357 revolver be? I have a new 686 s/w just shot a few rounds at 25 yards rested on the bench. Wanted to test some imr 4227 with 158 gr lrn cast bullets. I was able to keep maybe 8 out of 10 in a 2 inch group at 25 yards. The powder was a little dirty but not bad. Didn't check the mv. Any thoughts on this. I'm pretty happy with the 4227 despite what others report. John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 19 May 2022

I am happy shooting 2 inch groups with any revolver at 25 yards.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 19 May 2022

Hey 2frogs

We Lawnsteel shooters expect and get MOA accuracy from our revolvers on a regular basis. Rugers, Colts, Smiths and Tarus on our lines. Average velocity is 810fps accross the board. Our closest target is 52 yds out and 7" diameter. Chickens at 75 yds are no problem for most. Often there is less than a chicken, goose or turkey head available for successful engagement. All accuracy is achieved using iron sights. None of these handguns are accurized and my Ruger Blackhawk has a stock action. Accuracy is a combination of many things. The human element is the most common failure. The group as a whole use a similar projectile, propellant, lube and technique.

Lawnsteel shooters are the most sharing group of game players that exist. Alloy composition, velocity, loading techniques, projectile selection, casting education, loading recipes. The group has come together to insure everyone has components. Want to find out how well a revolver can shoot? Come play Lawnsteel.

Roy    

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • RicinYakima
Ed Harris posted this 22 May 2022

Factory .38 Special and .357 ammunition of best quality produces about 3-4 moa or 1-1/2 to 2-inch ten-shot groups at 50 yards when fired from a standard industry velocity and accuracy test barrel, being fired from a Universal Receiver indoors or in an underground test tube. The very best custom match conditioned pistols and revolvers fired from a Broadway or Ransom rest can approach this.

The expectation for ordinary police service grade revolvers with 4-6-imch barrels firing duty grade ammunition by a master gunner firing off sandbags in production acceptance is one inch dispersion per ten yards of target distance. This has been industry practice since smokeless powder replaced black.

A better than statical average revolver firing match-grade ammunition can improve upon that. I agree with RIC that any revolver which can consistently produce 2-inch, 6-shot groups at 25 yards firing off bags, using common handloads of good quality is a "keeper".

Those who report "moa" groups with handguns are not reporting the expected statistical average, but only the best observations afforded by random variations of chance.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 22 May 2022

Ed,

I T-Totally agree with that statement.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 May 2022

I recall a phrase occasionally used by Bob Sears, "a moa is an extinct flightless bird, not seen today."

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
giorgio the slim one posted this 31 May 2022

Bob Sears , what a deep philosopher !

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 31 May 2022

Decades ago in the late 80's and early 90's I could bang targets all day at 100 yards with a 6" Model 686. With open sights (and younger eyes) it was positively accurate at 50 yards. I used to shoot sod poodles with it up in Pennsylvania where my friends used to rib me about bringing that revolver instead of the  more common 22-250. They left me alone after I popped a poodle at about 75 yards with that revolver. Open sights. Snap shot. They got real quiet then.

You can expect as much accuracy as your sights allow, your eyes allow, and your equipment allows. Hopefully your cylinder mouth dimensions are correct for the type of ammunition you are using. If shooting cast bullets, you can tailor the bullet and load for your revolver. If S&W still makes them like they did in the 80's, that revolver should amaze you.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 31 May 2022

Oh by all means truly impressed with it even though I did add a red dot to aid my 73 yr old eyes..fast fire 3.. sight

Attached Files

Close