Makers Mark and Carnuba wax

• 5.5K Views
  • Last Post 19 June 2009
KenK posted this 23 December 2008

I got a 1.75 of fine Bourbon for a Christmas present today (which put a big ol' grin on my face) and I seem to recall reading that the seal was Carnuba wax.  It looks and feels like plastic to me and I sure don't know why they would fool with using an expensive wax for this application.

What say the forum?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 24 December 2008

Well I have heard the same thing of a brand of cheese as well, baby bell or something like that.

All you can do is try to melt a small amount, it should melt into a yellow clear liquid. If it burns and smokes, well you can guess what that means.

Attached Files

I find the so called looking wax on Makers Mark to be plastic(the rest is for medicinal purposes ;) ).

Any other bottles that do have a wax seal I find to be too soft for Carnuba Wax.

Also any cheese sealed in wax that I've melted down was also too soft for Carnuba wax. I did some internet searching for cheese wax and find it is a blend developed for the cheese industry, but never found out what the blend was. To me, it behaves like paraffin, a soft form of paraffin. My 2 cents worth, others may know more?...............Dan

Attached Files

Do a search on the net for Oils By Nature, they sell caranuba wax among other things. Aint the cheapest stuff on the block for sure..

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 24 December 2008

johnsons paste wax has a load of carnuba in it. i have always heard that makers mark seals were carnuba wax.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 25 December 2008

Well, I've melted and tried to burn a few pieces of it with a lighter.  I still think it is plastic but It does act a little different from most.  I guess it is a special blend just for this job.

I've pretty much got home made bullet lube out of my system but I was going to save this for a rainy if It really was carnuba wax. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 December 2008

I tried this and Marker Mark's wax seal is barely wax. Carnuba Was on the othr hand can be had in poundage from Majestic Mountain Sage:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html>http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

Look for Carnuba Wax on tha page.

I paid $29.80 for 5 pounds, I mostly use it for bullet lubes, but also in some candle I make for household use.

Drink the Makers Mark before January 2, or else we will all be over to help you to drink it. :)

Happy New Years,

Jerry

Attached Files

dardascastbullets posted this 01 January 2009

KenK wrote: I got a 1.75 of fine Bourbon for a Christmas present today (which put a big ol' grin on my face) and I seem to recall reading that the seal was Carnuba wax.  It looks and feels like plastic to me and I sure don't know why they would fool with using an expensive wax for this application.

What say the forum? Bottling wax 'typically' contains clays and and other types of solids to give the sealant a pliable but durable property. I am not sure where the carnauba wax rumor originated from but I can assure you that bottling wax does not contain the goodly amount that some think it contains. Carnauba wax in its natural state is extremely brittle. So it does not provide the properties that a bottle sealant requires.

Attached Files

Perma.com posted this 18 June 2009

Looking for a supplier for Carnauba Wax?

Perma Inc. 605 Springs Road Bedford, MA 01730 978-667-5161 x102

High quality bullet wax.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 18 June 2009

Send that bottle to me and I'll have the 'wax' checked in a lab for you, no charge. PM me for address. Of course the bottle must be full to get an accurate determination.

Attached Files

Perma.com posted this 18 June 2009

We know it works...  A few well known casting companies are buying the wax by the drum. We didn't know there was a market for the wax in bullet casting. This is something totally new for us, and we're currently working on markting the product under a new name and label.

A case of the wax is currently going for $53.80 per case of 4 gallons. You could purchase it online @ www.chemicallabs.com or call 978-667-5161 x102.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 June 2009

So the carnuba was is liquid? All of the carnuba I have seen is like yellow flakes. What else is in it to make it a liquid?

Attached Files

Perma.com posted this 19 June 2009

The flake is pure carnarba wax (in some cases), It's the main ingredient in the formulation for the liquid form. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 June 2009

Many use the caranuba for bullet lube and it is sensitive to hydrocarbons and other flammable components to make this liquid is the reason for the question.

I was not doubting that it wasnt what you said it was, just trying to find a fit for the bullet lube I make.

If your liquid wax doesnt have these things in it I may be interested.

What is the viscosity of the liquid?

Attached Files

Perma.com posted this 19 June 2009

The viscosity of the liquid is 10 cps.

Attached Files

Close