HT Kitchen

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 23 February 2009
mrbill2 posted this 19 December 2008

I'd like to heat treat some cast bullets. Question is . Is there any danger in using the wifes kitchen oven? I don't want to end up with lead poison after eating the next piece of pie! Your thoughts.

Mr. Bill 

mrbill2

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 19 December 2008

Hey, Mr. Bill! We've had this question as it relates to just melting lead. I believe the answer from folks more learned than I say that toxic fumes are not given off until the metal reaches about 1000 F. As heat treating is generally done below 500 F, you should be fine.

Attached Files

454PB posted this 19 December 2008

I would say zero danger, as long as the pan used to contain the boolits is not used for food again.

A better way to keep piece in the family is to use a thrift store toaster oven and do it either in an outbuilding or garage.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 19 December 2008

I don't know if using the kitchen oven will cause a problem. The way I avoided the problem is to use an old electric roaster I have in the garage. My mother used to roast the sunday chicken when I was a kid. I have seen them in thrift stores for a very reasonable price.

Jim

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 20 December 2008

When I want heat treated bullets,hating extra work,I drop uniformely frosted bullets from the mould directly in a pail of water.

The risk of ruining good bullets remelting them in an oven wth unreliable heat regulation is always there. 

I used this technique to prepare 311467 for my norinco M14 at around 2200fps.

I shot at 300 meters in the 60 shot prone match,keeping them all in the 7 ring,called flyers excluded.

I never liked the 6ppc and orthopaedic stocks.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 20 December 2008

Hey mrbill2

Don't do it!!  Don't do it!!  Don't do it!!  Listen to cityboy and buffalo George.  

The danger of oven heat treating lies within the precarious relationship balance you have with your wife. The possibility of reparations due to sloppy handling is beyond the normal imagination of any man. The ramifications have lasted 23 years and still counting. Its too late for me, save yourself.

Roy 

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 December 2008

mrbill2 If you are planning to HT wheel weights you have another concern, arsenic! I do not advise doing it in the house in the oven, the potential for fumes are too great and the problems Roy mentions are also a problem.

Pick up a used toaster oven at a garage sale or at a red shield thrift shop, that is the way to go... I use one and it works good, easy to grab the little tray and quench. I think pat i uses the method also and he shoots nothing but ht bullets.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 20 December 2008

I will agree with the toaster oven for heat treating cast bullets.  In the summer it keeps the heat out of the house and in the winter, it will add a little heat to the shed where you are working.  Given that the heat treating temps are less than 500 degrees F, and the boiling point of Arsenic is 1137 F, contamination of an oven is questionable.  Google for the properties of Arsenic and draw your own conclusions.  It is an interesting read if you can make it all the way through to the end.  Especially early medicinal uses and present medical uses and testing for exposure in humans.  Duane

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 20 December 2008

Thanks for all the input. The wife doesn't have a problem use the kitchen oven but I'm going to look into the toaster oven. We use to have one of those but I couldn't remember if the temp would get high enough to do the job. Till Next Time. Mr. Bill

mrbill2

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 December 2008

I have a bench top oven/toaster thingy also.  Insulted it with some fireproof board to stop the insane flucuations in temp and it works great.  Best option for harmony in marriage.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 February 2009

I tried it with a wire basket for papers from Walmart, it takes a couple of tries to find the temperature range.  I turned up the heat until it put shiny marks on the bullets then backed it down 10 degrees.  Worse than lead poisoning- the finish burning off the basket!  It can be done in a kitchen oven with UNLUBED bullets, when you find the range. As long as it doesn't effect the bullets, there's no fumes.  Okay, I'll crawl off and die now, ha ha.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 February 2009

;} Hullo, I've used my oven for this process for years with no adverse affects,

I use a oven thermometer & watch it through the glass front on the oven, like the man says, don't mix up your wife's baking sheets with your boolit sheets..

:coffee

Attached Files

Close