Bullet Lube Suggestion

• 4K Views
  • Last Post 14 December 2008
Lillard posted this 19 November 2008

I started casting about six months ago the only lube I have used is Roster HVR my 44 mag. loads work well with it. My Ruger #1 45 70 shows lead streaks near the muzzle after 4 or 5 shots the first 4 to 5 shots group good after 6 to 7 they start to open up. My load is RCBS 300 gr. FP gas check 58 gr. benchmark. I really don't know if my problem is lube , alloy or something else. My alloy is 10 pounds WW + six feet of 1/8 in. lead free solder, I don't have hardness tester. ANY SUGGESTION 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 19 November 2008

I don't think lube is your problem? I think you're pushing that little 300gr cb too fast, probably close to 2,100-2,200 fps? If you are going to use this load for hunting, you won't need to worry about accuracy loss after 5 shots. If you are wanting this much velocity in your load, you'll probably have to switch to casting CBs in linotype................Dan

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 November 2008

Well, I'll jump in here. I believe leading at the muzzle would indicate too soft an alloy for the velocity. I shoot a 45-70, but using 530gn bullets. Your load has to around 1800fps, I would think. An easy way to check without changing your alloy would be to heat treat them. From the mold, drop them in a bucket of water. That will significantly increase the hardness.

Or take Dan' suggestion. His velocity estimate is probably better.

Ya got that one in there while I was typing, Dan.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 19 November 2008

I shoot a single shot its not the 4th or 5th shot am concerned about when hunting its the first. If the barrel is not clean I don't trust the first shot, after 4 or 5 shoots flyers are common. The load does preform well on deer but I would like to get it so I trust it enough for head and neck shots. The rifle will shoot jacketed 300 gr. hp around an inch at 100 yds all day but I want to shoot cast. I HAVE A LOT STILL TO LEARN 

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 20 November 2008

the first thing i would do for a hunting boolit is to mix what you have 50/50 with pure lead, then when your mold is at a good temp start water-dropping them.

then drop your load a grain and go shoot.

these are hard enough and soft enough to be excellent hunting boolits.

just make some new ones about a month ahead each year sight-in and enjoy.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 20 November 2008

I HUNT  wild boars,WITH A VERAL SMItH 400 GR WIDE FLAT NOSE AT ABOUT 1300 FPS in any soft lead alloy ,bullet dia 460,no gas check and they die in their tracks ,if I connect.

Be kind to your only right shoulder, lower the charge of powder.

They used to kill buffaloes ,horses and enemies with the 45-70 -405 gr -55gr powder.,shot in the  trapdoor carbine.

Check your bullets diameter,my 300 gr are a bit undersize,at 458 in both my marlins,one microgroove,and the other with ballard rifling.

When I want to make loud noise I shoot a Ruger 77 bolt action in 458 lott.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 21 November 2008

I cast some this morning I used the same alloy but water droped them, looking forward to trying them in a couple weeks. I have increased and decreased the load but 58 gr. seems to be the right spot. The recoil is not bad but you know its there.While the lead was hot I needed to try a used mold I got from Gun Broker a Lyman 358665.

Thanks for the help 

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 November 2008

Water dropping hot cast bullets works great if you don't mind waiting until the crystalline structure hardens completely.  Another thing you can do is to weigh your bullets. If they were all within say, 7/10ths of each other, they'd all have the same performance characteristics. I use this to do load development in TC Contenders. Then I shoot 1/10th grain variances in powder to find the load that sucks in and groups. It sounds like way too much work but, you can weigh bullets one weekend, and shoot the next. Depends on your level of enthusiasm!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 22 November 2008

PS:  http://www.LsStuff.com>www.LsStuff.com  sells lube for about 1.60 a stick! I'm using Carnuba Red, they have fast shipping too! Good folks.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 22 November 2008

Thanks to all for the info I am going to try all suggestions and will post updates.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 07 December 2008

Dollar Bill wrote: Well, I'll jump in here. I believe leading at the muzzle would indicate too soft an alloy for the velocity. I shoot a 45-70, but using 530gn bullets. Your load has to around 1800fps, I would think. An easy way to check without changing your alloy would be to heat treat them. From the mold, drop them in a bucket of water. That will significantly increase the hardness.

Or take Dan' suggestion. His velocity estimate is probably better.

Ya got that one in there while I was typing, Dan.

I droped some in water I shot some with my old load of 58 gr. benchmark rem. L.R. primer the group was not too good. I shot 4 rounds the first 2 landed about 4 in. apart on a vertical line the third one touched the first one the fourth one touched the second one not good. I started thinking about the 58 gr. and large rifle primer so I loaded 57 gr. benchmark and a Fed. 215 gold metal. The result was a 1 1/4 group I think the large rifle primer did not have enought kick. The leading at the end of the barrel went away with the harder bullets too.

Any thoughts LILLARD.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 07 December 2008

Inconsistant ignition can cause vertical stringing, but generally shooting technique or rifle bedding problems are more prevelant. If you think those aren't an issue, continue to work on load developement, if you feel the need. But what you've got already looks to be a fine hunting load. As some of these fellas have noted above, heat treated alloys change hardness over time, so if you want something you can load and put away for awhile, switch your alloy to linotype or just a harder alloy in general.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 14 December 2008

Dollar Bill wrote: Inconsistant ignition can cause vertical stringing, but generally shooting technique or rifle bedding problems are more prevelant. If you think those aren't an issue, continue to work on load developement, if you feel the need. But what you've got already looks to be a fine hunting load. As some of these fellas have noted above, heat treated alloys change hardness over time, so if you want something you can load and put away for awhile, switch your alloy to linotype or just a harder alloy in general. I shot the 57 gr. benchmark fed. 215 load agin today I got good results the first two touched the third landed about 1 1/4 in. from the first two that is the same thing it done the last time I shoot it. I got tunnel vision trying to find a problem with the bullet instead of looking at the whole load.

Attached Files

Close