300 meter suggestions

• Last Post 04 June 2017
delmarskid posted this 08 December 2016

Hi and thanks in advance. I've cleared enough brush and limbs next to our field to make a 300 meter shooting lane. I've got a swinger that is 10” across set up at that distance. I would like to shoot a 200 or so grain bullet from the '06. 308, and 7.5 Swiss at about 2000 fps using 2400, 4198, or Accurate Arms 2200 powders. I've been hitting it with the .22 rimfire when there is no wind. Quite the challenge to find the zero. I haven't found data for the 2400 to get to the speed I want. If anyone else is daft enough to have already tried this I will gladly acede to your generous input.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 09 December 2016

Not daft at all.

Several years ago, as part of a military match, at the Hawkeye Rifle and Pistol Club, we fired a three hundred yard match. Don't remember what HP NRA target was used but some of the scores were quite respectable. I used an “03” and NOE's 311299 with a charge of IMR 4227. My standard load  and am sure that the velocity was well under 2000 FPS. Even surprised myself. 

The only downside was the three hundred hard walk to hang and change targets.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
John Carlson posted this 09 December 2016

We had a 300 yard group match at Hunters Pointe in 2015.  Used the MR-31 target sized for that range.  Groups were quite respectable once we got a clue on the wind and drop.  

I find peak accuracy around 1500fps but I've never tried pushing into the 2000 range.

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • rhino72
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 09 December 2016

Thanks guys, I thought that the 2000 fps load would make it easier to find my zero at that distance. Thinking it over I had good results with the .22LR at half that speed so accuracy should trump speed here. I said trump and got away with it! 

Attached Files

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • wd-30/40

Not me of course but he does look happy.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 09 December 2016

While I don't have a chronograph, according to the books, that range of velocity is what I have found to be most accurate as well. both for my “03” and my K-98 7.62x51 mm. Don't know how big the ten ring is on that MR-31 but my greatest claim to fame that day was a 98 on one target. The others, not so much. An interesting experiment to say the least for an old fart.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
M3 Mitch posted this 24 March 2017

From what I have read, I don't think 2400 is going to get you to the speed you want.  Offhand I would suggest something like IMR 4064 or 4895.  Of course the powder will cost more and you are burning more of it, but to get a 200 or so grain bullet to 2000 fps I think a slower powder is what will do it for you.

If you ranged in with a .22 rim-fire, you should not have any problems ranging in with an 06 or similar.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 25 March 2017

I've done a lot of this, but I use the 50cal. and 20mm surplus powders with a booster charge to get in the 2,100 to 2,400 fps range with heavy bullets and very good accuracy. This powder is very inexpensive so you can shoot a lot.  Check out the WC870 powder here: http://gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 25 March 2017

Shooting my Springfield with the M2 stock and Lyman #48 long tang sights for a high-power match at Camp Pendleton three decades ago was a learning lesson for 300 and 600 yards.

• The load was the RCBS 30-180-SP, sized .311, 30.0 grains Reloder #7, W-W Large Rifle primer, Linotype alloy.
  • The bullet was seated with the gas-check even with the bottom of the neck to assure feeding during rapid fire.
  • The velocity was 2,000 feet per second.

Results and observations:

• I used a trajectory application to set the three and six hundred yard zero.
  • The load shot well at 200 yards for offhand and rapid-fire, 
  • At three hundred years, he score was what I anticipated, shots were in the black or six o'clock 
  • At six hundred yards, velocity variation in the bullet caused vertical stringing.
  • initial impact was in the bottom of hte target, correction brought the zero into the black.
  • Shots out of the black were six o'clock or twelve o'clock.

Based on my experience, be careful of powder position and velocity variation. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

4060may posted this 25 March 2017

My K31 is tight, bullet is the NOE K31-311-180gr, sized .310, Hornady GC, 31.8 grains of IMR3031 or Benchmark will knock down 300M pigs with factory sights, with great regularity if your eye hold up..also 41 grains of IMR4350 worked for me, Fed 210 match primers, BAC lube

When I had a Yugo Mauser 8mm, I bought a lot of 1943 Turkish ammo, for cheap, pulled the bullets and they were loaded with little square powder flakes, 47-48grains, dumped the powder and reloaded the brass with RCBS 170 gr cast and 32 grains of the pulldown power, shot to original sight settings, cleaning with soapy after was not a problem, corrosive primers..

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 March 2017

I shot my M1 back to 600 yards on standard National Match Course with HM2-.312-160-5 and 40 grs. of IMR4064 in LC Match cases with Federal 210 primers, velocity about 2200 fps.  Accuracy in my rack-grade M1 was better than LC67 or HXP77 Ball.

The 30 grs. RL7 load is also good and has less recoil for rapid-fire at the 200 and 300-yard stages IF your rifle will cycle with it. My M1 was a CMP rebuild with new springs which cycled a bit stiffly and I had to go to the 4064 load for rapid-fire, but the RL7 was fine for slow fire at all ranges.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Westhoff posted this 28 March 2017

Several years ago I held the CBA  Issue Military Rifle record for 300 yds.  (Been a while, and about a year later, a friend from my Club (Paul Bunyan) swiped the record from me with a really GREAT 300 yd. target.)  Anyway, the rifle and load I used were: O3-A3 shooting a Lyman 311299 (lino) in front of 28.0 grains of Varget and a WLR primer.

Been too long ago, and an open heart surgery and quite a few hours on a heart-lung machine since then, and my memory has developed some blank spaces so I'm a little short on details, but I am sure that load doesn't come anywhere near 2000 fps.  My personal opinion is that you don't really need that much velocity for only 300 yds.

(I can certainly understand how much farther away 300 meters becomes when you have to clear 300 meters of brush and limbs to get there, though.)

Wes

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 30 March 2017

Thanks for all of the useful responses. I am able to use all of these. I've gotten a chance to shoot at this gong since the initial post and hitting it was a lot easier than finding the adjustments. I had no spotter and had to do a lot of hoofing to find my bullet strikes on the ground. I had a batch of 314299's loaded over 18g AA7. They landed a lot higher than I expected. Shooting that distance from field positions is a lot of fun. When it gets dry I will have to take a poke at the handguns. I'll be able to see dust kick up and hopefully walk them in. 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 30 March 2017

Use your 314299s loaded over 29 - 30 gr 4895 (any flavor but I prefer H4895) with a Dacron filler (solves the powder positioning along with vertical string problems).  That's what I use in my '06s (some with a 311299) for out to 600 yards. 

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 04 June 2017

I did chronograph some 311284's pushed by old H4831 in search of 2,000 fps. When I got to 1,900 fps with 1 1/4" groups from my 77 yard bench I had all of the recoil I wanted with a hard butt plate. The powder charge was 51.0 grains. I used that Springfield and COWW+2% tin bullets to kill that Fall's venison. Worked as well as most anything else I've ever used.

Duke

Attached Files

Close