.22 cast revisited

• 8.9K Views
  • Last Post 29 December 2008
KenK posted this 11 November 2008

I've got a Remington 700 in .221 Fireball on order.

This is the bullet I have, some may remember it from my thread about shooting it in the Ruger .218 Bee.  Any load suggestions?  I figure I'll start off with 3 grains of Bullseye and see what happens.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 11 November 2008

I shot the last few you sent in my 22-250 Stevens with 4.5 of 700X.They grouped into 1-1.5” at 50 yards for 4 groups.I like your B.E. load.

I sent friend Bob Mills some 225438's from my 4 cavity mold to play with in his 223 Remington.He is shooting them into 1” at 50 yards @ 2700fps with a stout 4895 load WITHOUT bullet lube,but GC attached.It has held up for 100+ shots so far.Lubed bullets shot afterwards fall in their normal position on the target and group well.Maybe don't lube them<G>I cast him 600 more to test as he ran out he was having so much fun.All were cast of Linotype.He found Reloader#7 and 4198 wouldn't do well at all.The 4895 load was where it all came together.If you want to talk to an interesting character PM me and I'll give you his phone #.He lives on 40 acres with his own private rifle range out  in Colton Oregon.

George Damron

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 14 November 2008

Well, I picked my rifle up today.  I was afraid to order dies until I had it in hand so I should be sending lead down range a week from tommorow.

When did Remington put that lock on the bolt?  I hope they didn't make the trigger un-adjustable too.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 14 November 2008

KenK wrote:   I hope they didn't make the trigger un-adjustable too. My newest 700 is about 15 years old.I tried to adjust a modern one with a friend and didn't have as much luck as with the old ones.

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 14 November 2008

The only other Model 700 I have ever owned is my 1982 Classic in .257 Roberts.  This 2002 model is not finished as well and has an odd looking piece of wood for a stock.  Still, it is nice enough and the price was right.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 19 November 2008

I got my dies and scope mounts yesterday.  Loaded 5 rounds with 3.5 grains of Bullseye and mounted a 40+ year old Ted Williams/Weaver scope.:shock:

Raced home from work today and bore sighted it to find it was dead on (nice when that happens) and fired a sighter.  Within two inches, adjusted the scope, fired four for group. In the dusk, through that foggy out of focus scope, I got a 1 1/4” group at 50 yards.

One problem is the rifle doesn't feed these stubby little cartridges very well at all.  It won't feed period unless I put the round into the magazine.  I've been looking at single shot adaptors today.

I've got to decide whether to order a scope or rob one off another rifle.  I really only have two decent scopes.

BTW, the trigger adjusted up nice.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 14 December 2008

I've spent the last few weeks trying to get this rifle to shoot jacketed bullets.  Remington did a poor job with the bedding and my work has been mostly whittling and less load development.

I got to the end of my 100 cases and decided to go back to the cast bullet.  The first thing I wanted to try was 6 grains of 2400.  While I was at it I went ahead and loaded five cases each with Unique, Blue Dot and Bullseye.

Without changing my powder measure I threw a charge of Unique and it was 3.5 grains, I had 4 grains in mind but since I'm making this all up as I go I just left it as is.  Same thing with Blue Dot, the original setting threw 5 grains.  I'm on a mission now so I go with the Bullseye...4.5 grains, way to much but I went with it anyway and made a mental note to shoot those last. 

I started off with the barrel as clean as I know how to make it.  Kroil, Barnes CR, JB bore paste.  Between five shot strings I cleaned with a wet patch of Kroil followed by two dry patches followed by a patch with ONE drop of 3-1 oil.

I set up a target to use as a sighter/fouler and fired the first two shots at it and then fired a thee shot group on another target.

The target to the left is the sighter and to the right I plotted the five shot groups, the colors on the target match my legend on the yellow sticky note.  This is a good way to mark rounds by the way.  The postit goes in the lid of the ammo box and I color the primers with the matching color sharpie.

I'm sure there is a lesson here but I'm not real sure what it is.  I loaded up 10 more with the 2400 and I'll go shoot them here shortly.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 14 December 2008

KenK wrote: Without changing my powder measure I threw a charge of Unique and it was 3.5 grains, I had 4 grains in mind but since I'm making this all up as I go I just left it as is.  Same thing with Blue Dot, the original setting threw 5 grains.  I'm on a mission now so I go with the Bullseye...4.5 grains, way to much but I went with it anyway and made a mental note to shoot those last. 

I started off with the barrel as clean as I know how to make it.  Kroil, Barnes CR, JB bore paste.  Between five shot strings I cleaned with a wet patch of Kroil followed by two dry patches followed by a patch with ONE drop of 3-1 oil.

I set up a target to use as a sighter/fouler and fired the first two shots at it and then fired a thee shot group on another target.

Was this at 100yds?

I just chrono'd my 13.5 5744 in the 22-250 and it was only going 2050 fps.I swore i measured it at 2300 in the summer,but that was new XMR5744 and my current stuff is the original surplus lot. It(225438 HP) has still been destructive in water bottle tests out to about 150.

I have been having some problems in colder weather with my POI changing (left to right 2” variation from day to day) I haven't cleaned the rifle for about 500 rnds as a test.I have been using Jakes Alox and it seems to do pretty well.I wonder if my POI problems are temp relates as it has been below freezing the last 3 times out?It shoots better after about 15 shots.

There was an orig XP100 in 221 with a 4X leopold for sale at a shop i almost bought yesterday.It was $500 and i wasn't sure if that was cheap enough to get my money out of it if it didn't do what i wanted it to.

Attached Files

I wish it was at 100 yards but no, it was at 50.  I hope to shoot at 100 someday.  I'll post a pic of todays targets in a bit.

I don't have a clue about the lube.  I assume your accuracy has held up over 500 rounds or you would have cleaned it...

Do you think my bullets have enough lube space?  They hold right at 1 grain of LBT soft.  Sometimes I get a tiny fleck or two on a target at 50 yards.

Attached Files

I shot these targets in order, from left to right.  Five shot groups at 50 yards.  I started off with ten cartridges loaded with 6 grains of 2400.  The last four shots on the second target gave me hope so I came back and loaded five more with 6 grains and five with 6.5 grains.  The far right target was the 6.5 load and measures right at .600.  The other groups are 1, 1 3/16 and 1 1/4.  Did not clean any and the rifle sat about thirty minutes betwen targets 1-2 and 3-4.

Probably just a fluke.  I'll shoot some more next weekend.  I hate these short days.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 16 December 2008

Do you think my bullets have enough lube space?  They hold right at 1 grain of LBT soft.  Sometimes I get a tiny fleck or two on a target at 50 yards.

Not sure? I just shot some 225438's @ 100 with only the small space above the GC  smeared with lube.While they didn't do great,they shot just a touch over 2".This is about how that version from my 4 cavity mold shoots fully lubed with NRA formula.i sent a few to a friend from the 4 cavity 225438 (cast of lino) and he is shooting it without lube and a 20 some grains of 4895 on the 223 case.No leading has appeared even though they are going a bit over 2700 fps!!! Grouping was 3/4” to 1-1/2” for 5 shot groups at 50 yards.He shot about 10-15 consecutive groups to see if it picked up leading and he never could detect any.When he went back to his 225462 lubed bullet the point of impact was where it was before shooting the unlubed bullets.Go figure?

George

Attached Files

CWME posted this 19 December 2008

Looking at your targets I have the same issue with Unique that you do in the .223 Rem, horizontal spreading.

My best loads to date have also been with 2400. Never thought to try 4895 in the .223... Interesting...Got to try that now:cool:

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 December 2008

Friend and mentor Bob Mills “magic” 223 load is 12.0 of  Accurate 5744.He said it's about 2400fps and always shoots when it has the Lyman 225462 bullet up front cast of Linotype.

George

Attached Files

CWME posted this 23 December 2008

Where are you finding your Linotype? Midway has it for about 3.50 a pound. 50 pounds would last a while making .22s.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 23 December 2008

Here is a picture of ONE of Bob Mill's Linotype piles.Out in the Pacific NW  lino is about $1.50 per # at scrap yards when they get it in.

George

Attached Files

CWME posted this 24 December 2008

That's a lot of .22 bullets sitting there... WOW

Attached Files

KenK posted this 25 December 2008

I shot a ten shot group at 100 yards this morning.  An astute viewer would notice there are only nine holes in the group; one landed about six inches to the left and off the paper.  I have no idea why, I didn't pull it. 

Nine out of ten into a hair under 2".  I had a Christmas star in the making, or is that the Star Trek emblem?

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 December 2008

KenK-

Is this with your plainbase NEI at low velocity ?? if so i think it shows promise! I had a Lyman 22536 60G version and i never got 5 into 2” at 100 on a regular basis.All of my current 22 shooting is with twist 1-10” 22-250's though.Maybe the smaller cases with 1-14” twists work better for the 22RF velocity stuff.For the 22mag to Hornet velocities i think the 22-250 does as good or better than the smaller cases.Could be the throating??

George Damron

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 December 2008

http://www.marshallnet.net/%7Etenx/target.htm>http://www.marshallnet.net/%7Etenx/target.htm 

Hmmmm. First time I've tried posting a picture to a Forum. The address doesn't look like those posted by others. Works for me, so I guess it's ok. If not let me know and I'll try something else.

Picture should be self-explanatory. Lower left group is the largest at 1 1/16” all groups fired at 100 yds.

PETE

Attached Files

KenK posted this 26 December 2008

Very nice, Pete.  When I can get consistant groups that size with PB .22s my quest will be over.

George, yes on the NEI bullet, I thought it was promising also.  I really need to do some more work on this rifle.  It only shoots jacketed into a scant inch.  My brother has a good bench he said he would let me have so that should help some as well.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 December 2008

PETE wrote:  

self-explanatory. Lower left group is the largest at 1 1/16” all groups fired at 100 yds.

PETE

Is this a Browning Hornet ? Anyway it's pretty darn good.My friend has been fighting one to shoot cast fro two years, The best he gets is about 2".You could amost shoot Production Class with that rifle and have some fun!

George

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close