311466 VARIATIONS

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 25 July 2008
linoww posted this 22 July 2008

I have been having good luck with 311466 4-cavity lately.I found another I forgot i had and the front band on this one is full.312 bullet diameter.The one that shoots well has the front band reduced at .305.I wonder if this is why I never got the other one to shoot??I have cast some up and will test it later on.Both are about the same vintage Lyman molds.Interesting I thought.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jhalcott posted this 22 July 2008

check your PM's 

I have a single cavity 311466 and a double cavity. The single shoots well in all thirty caliber guns I have. The 2 cavity shoots better in the 30-06 than it does in the .308 or 30-30. I am going to CAREFULLY check all the dimensions on both molds.When I use a FN top punch on the 2 cavity bullets they seem to group some what better in all guns.??

Attached Files

The 2 cavity shoots better in the 30-06 than it does in the .308 or 30-30.

I wonder if that one has the “full” front band.If my theory is correct it would do better in the gentler '06 throat. The reduced band version should do better is shorter throated guns like the 30-30 and 308.I am basing this on the “full band” one i didn't have good luck with.I shot it only in the 30-30 and 308.

George

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 22 July 2008

I have a 311466 I had 'doctored' to throw at .315 for the .303 Brit and one cavity made in a truncated FN for game.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JeffinNZ wrote: I have a 311466 I had 'doctored' to throw at .315 for the .303 Brit and one cavity made in a truncated FN for game.

Ironically this was prior to using CBE .303 Brit moulds that I now use EXCLUSIVELY.

Still, the 311466 conversion goes well in my fast twist suppressed .32-20.

I like it !

George

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 22 July 2008

The 30-30 barrel I am using now is a T/C Contender 14” . They are NOT known for decent throats. One of my .308's is a Lone Eagle single shot 12” barreled pistol. The 30-06 guns are a Browning Medalion and a Rem 700 classic.

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 22 July 2008

The 466 is the only slug I've had real success with for sure with any alloy.   My problem is  I just feel I have to seat it deep to keep grit out of the grease gooves for my '06 loads and don't like that idea instinctly. Charlie

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 22 July 2008

Charlie: You don't necessarily need to lube all the grooves.  Kinda have to see what your gun will allow you to do.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 23 July 2008

Quite true Jeff. Some of the guns I have used it in Like a bare front half, others will live with a coating of LLA. I even tape them for some bores with great results.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 July 2008

"My problem is  I just feel I have to seat it deep to keep grit out of the grease gooves for my '06 loads and don't like that idea instinctly."

I seat the 31466 rather deeply in an 1891 Argentine and it shoots just as well as seated long.I tried the same trick with my 30-06 Springfield and it also shot very well.Both are seated to cover the first three lube grooves but neither has the GC below the neck of the case.Not sure if that always matters though?I think with the Unique load i was using the deep seated bullet helped the powder burn more uniformly.

Here is the best 10 shot group with my 1903 Springfield with the 31466/12.0 of Unique @ 100 yds with Lyman target sights.This is from a 4-cavity mold to boot!! The group is just a bit over 1-5/8".Nine of the 10 are a bit under 1-1/4".

George

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 July 2008

Holy crap George!  That's fantastic.  I once put down a 3/4 inch group with 5 shots from my No4 MkII at a full 100m but that was a rarity and mostly they shot around 1.5 MOA.  Good bullet.

To seat no deeper than the bottom of the neck I had to size the 2 front bands .312 with the bullet upside down in the sizer then flip it cover and size/lube/gas check at .314 for the .303 Brit.  Sizing the front bands to .312 allowed me to seat into the leade a shade further.  PITA but it works.

Out of interest my new CBE .303 bullet, the 316 240, is seated with the check below the neck and the bullet is shooting close to MOA.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 25 July 2008

311466 seated to the crimp groove om the '06, shown with its big brother and its gas check,  load is  260 gr of 4350, very very fast.

Variations........Charlie

Attached Files

Close