tumble lube gas checks

• 7.9K Views
  • Last Post 11 November 2008
rbdave posted this 13 July 2008

have tried lla on tumble lube swc 158 gr 38/357 and swc 240 gr 44mag with great results. the question is can lla be used with conventional grooved 300 grain gas check bullets w/o the gas checks in 454 casull as i have not found tl molds ? thanks for any info also do not have conventional lube/sizers yet!!!!!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 13 July 2008

Never having had a tumble lube designed mould, I have used regular bullet designs, tumble lubed them, sized them, then tumble lubed them again. Works fine for me, but I don't load them in anything as hot as a 454. Ric

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 13 July 2008

I do about the same as Ric. Never owned a true TL design. I just wipe every second or third one with a patch with the Lee case lube, then tumble lube after sizing. The small amount of case lube left after sizing does not seem to affect the results, so I don't even wipe it off.

Jack

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 14 July 2008

can gas check bullet be usedwithout the gas checks? thanks rbdave

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 14 July 2008

Short answer is YES, BUT! You can NOT run the bullets as fast or with the pressures  that you can run them WITH gas checks. You can try certain fillers to take the place of the checks , but I will NOT reccomend any. The bullet fit is MORE important when you leave the check off. What caliber and gun are you considering doing this with?

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 14 July 2008

taurus454 raging bull 8 3/8 barrel. dont know fps off hand as i usually use 250 or 260 jacketed. will consider powder and load data after i decide if these can be used without checks

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 15 July 2008

start with 45 colt loads and work up till they fail.

you could just superglue the g/c's on if they aren't too wide .

a cardboard disc inserted right under the bullet can also act like a g/c up to a point.

you want it to fit tight and use the bullet to seat it in the case.

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 July 2008

An option that I use because those copper hubcaps for my 44mag are expensive.

I bought a wad punch from Fred Cornell and make PVC type 1 wads out of .125 thick material and had successfully shot them up to 1500fps without issue. Takes a bit longer to load, but is much cheaper that gas checks.

Attached Files

specops posted this 16 July 2008

GC designs without the GC work okay so long as you don't push them too hard.  When you start to get leading in the barrel you need to back off.  They work good for practice loads. 

Other alternatives, CV Ventures soft gas checks.  Just press the waxy material of the case mouth before seating the bullet.  I have a punch and die set somewhere to make GCs out of soft drink cans as well.  If memory servers they worked fairly well.  If you are using a TL design why not use a Lee nose first sizer as well?  It seats GCs better than anything else I've tried.

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 17 July 2008

havn"t found tumble lube mould yet and do not have lube/sizer. can 300gr conventional groove bullets be tumble lubed and  be sized and gas checked with lee sizer dies to shoot  close to max loads for 454 raging bull?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 July 2008

rbdave,

Yes, you can tumble lube, let dry, wipe bottoms on a paper towel, then gas check and run them up through the Lee sizer.

I'm sorry, but I have never shot those kinds of loads. You are the first for that idea. Just start at hot 45 colt loads and work your way up slowly.

Let us know how you do.

Ric

Attached Files

specops posted this 17 July 2008

Don't see why not.  Lee lube works good on about anything I've tried it on at reasonable velocities.  Make sure the bullet fits the cylinder throat.  The gas check will protect the base.  Remember also the powder you use will effect performance.  Stay with the slower powders, 2400, 4227, H110, W296 or L'il Gun.

I shoot an old Lyman 311291 in most of my .30 cals.  I tumble lube them and load them for practice / plinking.  No sizing or GCs and run them about 1800 to 1900 fps depending on the gun without problems.  That should be faster than you will be running the 300s.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 17 July 2008

don't use the powders slower then 2400 for this you cant reduce h-110/296.

2400, titegroup, somewhere between those will get you what you need.

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 July 2008

When I use tumble lube bullets I use the following method:

http://www.marlinowners.coms/index.php/topic,27078.0.html>http://www.marlinowners.coms/index.php/topic,27078.0.html

I have shot many bullets without gas checks, but had to the speed way down. The copper hub caps are expensive, but worth it if you are trying to compete with jacket velocities.

So when I can I get into a group buy for Gator Checks, I try to get as many of them as I need for the cast bullets that I am trying to produce.

Some bullets I tumble lube and then put the gas checks on them, then size them. Other I tumble lube with the gas check on, then size them. It depends on the bullete and what cartridge I am loading.

I use talcum powder instead of mica to make my bullets handleable.

Jerry

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 20 July 2008

ordered conventional groove 6 cav gas check  mould ,  sizer die and gas checks. will start out with recommended 45lc loads and let everyone know results in a couple weeks. thanks rbdave

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 July 2008

I am finding more and more that the TL method with Gas Checks does work well. I have been working on my farm and getting my shootin' bench put in place, so I haven't had all the time that I want to figure some things out, but ehy will happen when it;s time..

I do like the TL methods for the bullets that are designed for TL from lee. Other bullets do work fine with the tumble lube but I can go faster with my Star sizer on CBS that have lube grooves.

Jerry

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 30 July 2008

recieved mould and cast a few. weighed out at about 310 gr ww sized and gas checked. would like to use 2400 powder as i have some. any recommendations as of powder weight to start in 454 cases? thanks dave

Attached Files

specops posted this 30 July 2008

Any standard Colt 45 load will do.  Try 18.5 gr of 2400.  That should get you around 900-1000fps.  You may have to do up a grain due to the additional volume of the 454 case.  I've used 12.5 to 20 grains in 45 cases which is another option since they will work in the 454.  Just be sure you clean the chambers real good before using 454 ammo again. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 July 2008

If there is a volume problem in the casing, just try a little COW or take a pieces of sill seal and make a disk to place over the powder. I have used both with good results, if you want a little more kick, try ground coffee as a fill. The bullet won't get any more velocity, but you may get some caffeine from the smoke. :)

Jerry

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 July 2008

H,

I must qualitfy loading and loading information. Start low on the charge and work your way up. If you do not have experience with materials to fill up the volume in your cartridge, try it first without it. You may have a bleed of filler materials at the cylinder gap when you fire a cartridge..

Start mellow on your load, the Casulls is a a large powerful cartridge, but it does have its limits. I do recommend getting a reloading guide, even thou I use advice from the bullet manufactures and powder makers, I still work up my own loads.

My lady friend just ordered the Lyman 49th edition reloading guide for me, so that will be another reference for my loading bench. I still use the Lyman 47th edition for some CB loads, but I have been doing this for over 30 years and I write down my loading information.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Attached Files

rbdave posted this 13 August 2008

started with wsr primers and 26gr 2400. shot niceley but didnt seem as hot as some other loads i have used. think i will go up a grain or so to achieve more power for hunting loads for deer at range. no leading at all and that is what i was looking for. will creep up and let all know results

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close